Para 2,Native 5,or Sage 1,

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
roninair

Post by roninair »

It's starting to look like a $350 dollar fix to my problem ..... One of each lol
roninair

Post by roninair »

After a quick math check I have the PM2`s at 8 and the Native 5 at 6 and 3 for Sage .I was surprised to see the Native that close to the PM2 with all the videos and reviews out there for the Paramilitary 2`s.Thanks again for those that took the time to reply .
Ken44

Post by Ken44 »

I say the Para 2, and feel its one of the best designs made by anyone. I think you would love it, and if you don't they sell very well since they can be hard to find. I would try it first for this reason if no other.

I also like the Sage 1, and carry one a good bit. For me, the Native 5 is a bit heavy for the cutting edge you get.
flash900

Post by flash900 »

Roman,

Sages are tops for me but that photo of your Natives isn't helping my wallet.
Spydies: Caly 3 & Jr.; Michael Walker; Dragonfly, 2 & G10; Delica 4, FFG, G10, & Wave; Endura G10 & Wave; Rookie; Ambitious, Persistence, Tenacious; Sage 1, 2, 3; CAT CF & G10; Chicago CF; Ladybug; Bradley; Manix 2, Blue & XL; Native 4, 5 & Forum; Balance; Rescue; Salt I & Pacific; D'Allara; Junior; PPT; SuperLeaf; Urban Safety Orange; Para 2; Matriarch 2 & Lil'; Techno; Southard; Tuffthumbz Sage 2 & Para 2 mods; Cuscadi Pingo; Domino; Slysz Bowie
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

I just placed an order for my first Native 5 and this photo was a major factor in the decision to go ahead and get this knife.
bh49 wrote: Image
DIW scales by Luke of Cuscadi. Moonglow Native thanks to Jon of EDC Forums. Ti Fluted thanks to Jack for generous gift. And all Native5 thanks to Spyderco for design and making
bh49

Post by bh49 »

flash900 wrote:Roman,
Sages are tops for me but that photo of your Natives isn't helping my wallet.
Michael,
Sages are on the top of your list because you didn't get Native5 yet. :)
Just get it. You will love it. I couldn't imagine how you pass it, when they were at Howes @ $99.99 shipped :(
senorsquare wrote:I just placed an order for my first Native 5 and this photo was a major factor in the decision to go ahead and get this knife.
I am glad to help.
Wouter does this to me all the time :)
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

bh49 wrote: Wouter does this to me all the time :)
Brother, Wouter does that to all of us! ;)

Ken
玉鋼
Holland

Post by Holland »

kbuzbee wrote:Brother, Wouter does that to all of us! ;)

Ken
amen
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
flash900

Post by flash900 »

bh49 wrote:Michael,
Sages are on the top of your list because you didn't get Native5 yet. :)
Just get it. You will love it. I couldn't imagine how you pass it, when they were at Howes @ $99.99 shipped :(
You are so right, Roman, and I blame you for not showing me those photos then! :D
Spydies: Caly 3 & Jr.; Michael Walker; Dragonfly, 2 & G10; Delica 4, FFG, G10, & Wave; Endura G10 & Wave; Rookie; Ambitious, Persistence, Tenacious; Sage 1, 2, 3; CAT CF & G10; Chicago CF; Ladybug; Bradley; Manix 2, Blue & XL; Native 4, 5 & Forum; Balance; Rescue; Salt I & Pacific; D'Allara; Junior; PPT; SuperLeaf; Urban Safety Orange; Para 2; Matriarch 2 & Lil'; Techno; Southard; Tuffthumbz Sage 2 & Para 2 mods; Cuscadi Pingo; Domino; Slysz Bowie
bh49

Post by bh49 »

flash900 wrote:You are so right, Roman, and I blame you for not showing me those photos then! :D
right :rolleyes:
But you see it now.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Waco

Post by Waco »

I sold my Para 2, but it was largely because I'm left-handed and releasing the lock was awkward for me. I love my Native 5, except for when I need to slice something that exceeds the length of the stubby blade. For such a compact knife, you couldn't ask for better ergonomics.
buddy54ck

Tough Choice!

Post by buddy54ck »

Hi,
When it comes right down to it, it really depends on what your personal preference for the type of lock you prefer, as all of these choices are great ones.

The compression lock is extremely nice and easy, once you get used to it being on top of the knife! Para Military's are very popular, and if you prefer a longer blade, this may be the one, with lots of sprints, lots of different steels! It is definitely the most tactical of the bunch, if you are heading in that direction! People probably would notice this one the most, and may be somewhat excessive, for the office, especially in all black, an is somewhat intimidating looking, if not just downright scary,to non knife people, this should be a determining factor.
You will probably end up getting one of these, some where down the road anyway. You can't go wrong with a PM!!! This is made in Golden Colorado, if American made is a must.

The Sage, has different lock choices, and is the perfect size for an EDC! The feel, lockup, looks, and reasonable price of the Sage 1 with Carbon Fiber, extremely smooth liner lock, makes a perfect EDC choice, which most everybody loves. It is one of the best EDC choices out there, especially if bought at a decent price, and it looks like an exquisite, expensive, Gentleman's knife.
To kick it up a notch, you might consider the Sage 2, with a very smooth frame lock, with titanium scales.
If you prefer Blue colored knives the Sage 3 with the bolt lock is nice also.
Maybe you like wooden scales with a back lock, then the Sage 4 is sure to please. These are made in Taiwan, and the quality is most excellent!

Another American made choice, the Native is an excellent choice for an EDC also. This comes with a new and smoother back lock, for the Native V, a very tried and true lockup!
The FRN choices are extremely reasonable, for a knife with S30 V blade steel, one of the best steels on the market, and definitely a premium steel, for a steal!!! LOL! No pun intended! This would be the most inexpensive of your choices and also a good one!

If You want to up the anty and go with the new Native V, this is probably the smoothest lockup in a back lock with it's new and improved back lock. The flat ground leaf shaped blade makes this knife a great slicer,and of all three, I find myself carrying this one the most! The G-10 scales are very nice, and it feels good in hand, as do all of your choices.
I have Xl size hands and find it comfortable. I have all three of the blades that you are contemplating, in many different versions, but to me personally, this is the one that I carry the most for my EDC needs of the three of these. I have three Native v's alone, a user, a backup, and one for the collection, and just LOVE them. I relegate an old FRN version, as a beater, it is plain edged, Gin 1, blade steal, with tons of life left in it,
and still tight!

Another blade that does make the Native come out of my pocket for the most part would be the Caly 3 Carbon Fiber with a ZDP 189 blade, clad with 420 J2 blade steel. This could also be had as a Caly 3.5 CF ZDP-189/420J2. This is a tough choice for me, so I usually rotate them! I think that you should also look at the Caly 3 , Caly 3.5 if you prefer a little longer blade, and you also have the option for a 4 inch blade with the latest Caly Brown G-10 sprint!

So you see, your options with your three choices are many, and also many other good Spyderco model options, out there!
So it all comes down to personal preference, and application, but
It also comes down to which one appeals to you the most!
Well that is my 2 cents worth, I hope that I have helped, more than confused. Good Luck in your hunt, but what ever you choose, remember you can't go wrong with a Spyderco!!!
Have Fun!
Sincerely,
Charlie
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Hijacking here.

kbuzbee, you said s35vn takes a very nice edge. Can you expand on that please.(like VG10 I hope! ;) )
I'm looking for an excuse to buy an N5. :)
I'm about done with s30v, but if s35vn takes the "crazy sharp" edge, I will jump on it.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

gull wing wrote:Hijacking here.

kbuzbee, you said s35vn takes a very nice edge. Can you expand on that please.(like VG10 I hope! ;) )
I'm looking for an excuse to buy an N5. :)
I'm about done with s30v, but if s35vn takes the "crazy sharp" edge, I will jump on it.
I really had no idea what to expect from this steel. I think of it as a slight upgrade to S30V. I've never been happy with polished S30V edges, but I put the .6μ WEPS stones on this Native 5 and the edge just screams. I took it to 26° inclusive and it's held up quite a bit better than I'd expected it might. Typical EDC tasks, no cutting bricks or iron pipe ;) Just boxes, mail, a bit of rope etc, but I'm very happy with it.

Does that help?

Ken
玉鋼
roninair

Post by roninair »

Wow what a great write up ! I would like to get a PM 2 but the length seems to bother me , but a Native 5 looks good might fit the watch pocket?
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Thanks Ken, that helps very much.
I don't have a Spyderco in S35VN.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

I can't add anything new all I can say is I own all three and the PM2's get carried almost everyday.
Current :spyder: : Para2's Brown, Blue & Orange, Etched Spin, CF Caly3 ZDP189, Gayle Bradley, UKPK Orange G10, Manix2 M4, Sage 1, Caly 3.5 in Super Blue, Urban Orange G10
Lo/Rez

Post by Lo/Rez »

I found the Sage fit my hand better than the Native5. I have a PM2 inbound so I can't comment on that one till next week.
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

roninair wrote:Wow what a great write up ! I would like to get a PM 2 but the length seems to bother me , but a Native 5 looks good might fit the watch pocket?
At least for the watch pocket on my pants, I think the Native 5 is just a tad large. I love it though:

Natively speaking
:)
Of course, like my signature says, it's never this or that knife, the only answer is to get this and that one :D .
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

My Native 5 arrived yesterday and I am very impressed. I fell in love with this blade immediately. Great size, feels great and it is superbly finished. Very, very nice knife.

Going back to the original question, Para 2, Sage, or Native 5, I will have to cast my vote for the N5 for EDC. If I could only have one knife it would be the PM2 as I don't think you can find a better blade for all around utility. EDC I prefer the smaller size of the Sage and Native as they are a little less scary for non-knife people. The Paramilitary is more of a rough beast of a knife and the Sage and Native are a little more refined.

For now I'll take the Native over the Sage for a couple of reasons: 1) I like the way the humpless blade profile of the N5 carries in the pocket. It takes up a little less real estate and that's always a plus in my book. 2) The N5 has more of a solid feel to it. It weighs a little more than that Sage 1 but it feels like it's built like a tank. Very solid knife. The Sage has more of a polished look whereas the Native is more of a refined, business like vibe but both of mine have just exceptional fit and finish. The liners and backspacers on the N5 are put together so seamlessly that you really have to look to tell that they are not one piece of steel. I give the wire clip of the Sage an advantage for carry purposes but I put one on my Native to even up that score.

In the end I could heartily recommend all 3. Hope this helps.

Untitled by senorsquare, on Flickr