Para 2,Native 5,or Sage 1,

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
roninair

Para 2,Native 5,or Sage 1,

Post by roninair »

Thinking of a new knife which one of these "really" gets more pocket time ? I know everyone seems to have a Para 2 but does it really do the daily trip in the front pocket at over 8 inches long or is there a shorter lighter knife that finds its way to that spot?
PatCatMan

Post by PatCatMan »

For weekends with jeans / shorts - the PM2 or Native 5 (my Southard)
Everyday with slacks for office - the Sage 1

Really depends on your dress attire and work place.

I've got several choices - but these are the ones I always seem to gravitate to - just personal pref.
Hard to take the Sage 1 out of any rotation - love it!
Pat
"You miss 100% of the shots you never take"
CarbonFiberNut

Post by CarbonFiberNut »

For me, the choice would be the Sage 1. I think it's a great all-around workhorse knife that looks nice enough to not seem terribly threatening if you pull it out to slice an apple in the office. I also really like the ergonomics of the Sage, and while liner locks might not be the toughest locks out there, I find them very comfortable for one-hand closing, which is important for an EDC being used for regular quick tasks where your knife is in and out of your pocket a lot. Lockbacks and the compression lock feel like you have to contort your hand a lot more to get a onehand close, while the linerlock feels natural.
bh49

Native5

Post by bh49 »

I bought Sage when they came out. I really like Taiwanese CF, but never liked the blade shape and sold it after a while. I own couple sprint Paras and I like the knife, but somehow they never made to EDC.
Native5 is my most used knife today. It is carried every day and used every day. In the past I carried longer blades like Persian and Caly3.5, but I found that Native5 can handle any of my tasks. I love it's FFG blade. Handle fits in my hand like it was made for me. I like the fact that Natives handle is a little thicker than Calys or Native4. It feels great like a handle of much bigger knife.
I can say: I love N5

DIW scales by Luke of Cuscadi. Moonglow Native thanks to Jon of EDC Forums. Ti Fluted thanks to Jack for generous gift. And all Native5 thanks to Spyderco for design and making
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Revival

Post by Revival »

I have owned all 3. The Para 2 is always in my right pocket. The Native 5/Native is always in my left pocket. I traded my Sage 1 to get the Native 5 and dont regret it one bit. A lot of people like the Sage but it just wasnt for me.
Spyder-fan

Post by Spyder-fan »

I have a Para 2 and Native 5. Out of those two I would choose the Para 2.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

this is an easy choice...Caly 3.5!
Kev83

Post by Kev83 »

I'd say para 2 if you can find one! I love mine and they're very light! My second of those choices would be the sage. Good luck!
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

twinboysdad wrote:this is an easy choice...Caly 3.5!
You're not helping. ;)

My vote? I'm with Roman. N5. I've got several P2 Sprints but they sit home while the Native gets the call. I'm really enjoying the S35VN steel too. Takes a very nice edge.

Ken
玉鋼
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Of those, my first choice is the Para 2. Yes, I carry one almost every day. But the others are also great choices.
:bug-red-white
ZL1

Post by ZL1 »

Native 5 is a better carry for me than the Para 2
But I love both
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

These days I carry the Techno during the week and a PM2 on the weekends. I'm planning to try and get a native 5 in the next week or so and see how that treats me. I had a Sage 1 that I really loved, but I just gave it to my dad as an early fathers day gift after the Techno took over main EDC duties. I'm really looking forward to checking out the Native.
willydigger

Post by willydigger »

Had all three and sold all three. My vote goes to the N5. PM2 is too big, not a fan of CF, and even though I hate back locks, the N5 is a great size, has awesome ergos, solid weight, and **** sexy style.
Swick3 • Blue Lava • Orange Dodo • Persistence • Techno
No Longer Own - Dragonfly 2 G10 • Sage 1 • PM2 • Cat S30V G10 Custom • Orange FRN Dragonfly • Native 5 G10• Foliage Smallfly
roninair

Post by roninair »

Really like the wood handles bh49...gives it that warm look ..and thanks to all for the honest remarks !
Holland

Post by Holland »

i prefer my paras over my sage2, but i have never tried a N5.
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
DedRok

Post by DedRok »

I have all three. All three are AWESOME knives and you can't go wrong with any choice.

The Native 5 is strong. The Paramilitary is fun. The Sage 1 is gorgeous, smooth and won't damage your jeans.

I'd have to say the Sage 1 is my favorite. It seems the most "Special".
Spyderco please make a wire clip version of the Manbug/Ladybug!
BAL

Post by BAL »

Personally, I'd say Para 2. It'll do anythign that you ask it and
it is light enough to go un-noticed in the pocket but works bigger
than it actually is. Smooth to open and close one handed, which
makes it great to pull out, use and replace in the pocket.

Also, Nice collection Roman.
jylong_away

Post by jylong_away »

I hardly ever comment on these thongs, but since I was thinking about the exact same thing a day or so ago, I felt like chiming in.

I honestly can't comment on the sage series, but I'd personally go for a Sage 2 or maybe 3 if I were to pick from that series... Stronger locks.

As for the Native 5, my big problem is the 'limited' ergonomics compared to the PM2. I have average sized hands, and if I hold my Native 3(which I understand has similar handle profild to the N5) with first finger in the choil, then it's an ergonomic dream. Same if I hold reverse grip with pinkie in choil. Problem comes if I try and get a full fisted grip on just the handle. It's overall a bit small for that, and I can't quite get a comfortable grip. The forward finger groove on the handle isn't quite big enough for two fingers, and if I try to put just my forefinger in that groove, then the remainder of the handle isn't quite long enough for the rest of my fingers.

The PM2 would be my recommendation for a number of reasons -

1)it has more ergonomic 'versatility' than the N5. The handle is a bit longer, with choil and handle contours that allow for choil & handle grips in both forward and reverse grips. Yeah, I've been in a 'jack-of-all trades' mood this year.

2) Lock is strong, and unique to spyderco. disengagable from both forward and reverse grips, left and right handed. Would love to own one with an integral comp lock, but not sure if that's actually happening, or was just rumor. In the meantime, i have some aftermarket Grimsmo Ti scales to keep me happy..
bh49

Post by bh49 »

twinboysdad wrote:this is an easy choice...Caly 3.5!
Without doubts Caly3.5 is a great knife. I love it a lot. I EDCed it before I got Native5
roninair wrote:Really like the wood handles bh49...gives it that warm look ..
It is also feels warm :) . Hard woods is great scale material.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

My first choice for daily carry (outside the office, anyway) is my trusty 20CP Para2. The knife is very light weight for its size, carries very nicely in pocket (you can get a nice low-rider clip for it to make it lower profile if you like), and has some serious cutting power. It is also the easiest-opening and closing knife I've ever owned in my life - truly a one-handed knife.

TedP