Very Tough Decision

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cricket Bite

Very Tough Decision

Post by Cricket Bite »

I have 4 Spyderco's and I was torn between buying a fifth knife or a SharpMaker. Oh the humanity. Why must it be me to decide. Well I went ahead and did it. I bought a SharpMaker. Now all I have to do is watch the DVD and get my knives dull :) But don't worry I think I may be getting that fifth Spyderco's (Delica 4 blue) next week. Whew. The SharpMaker although necessary doesn't feed the habit like something shiny, sharp, and new.
I’ve come to conclude that Fettucini Alfredo is just Mac-and-Cheese for food snobs.
— Neil deGrasse Tyson
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I would rather have a single sharp knife and the capability to sharpen it rather than have 10 dull knives with no capability to sharpen them.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Sure, shiny, sharp and new knives are great. But you might be surprised at just how habit-forming it is keeping, and even adding to, the sharp aspect!
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Cricket Bite

Post by Cricket Bite »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:I would rather have a single sharp knife and the capability to sharpen it rather than have 10 dull knives with no capability to sharpen them.
I agree with you in theory. My plan was to buy a new knife whenever one got dull :D Just kidding. That is why I did get the Sharpmaker instead of another knife.

jabba359 wrote:Sure, shiny, sharp and new knives are great. But you might be surprised at just how habit-forming it is keeping, and even adding to, the sharp aspect!
Yeah this is something I am a bit scared of. I have the OCD gene and this could be the beginning of my end...
I’ve come to conclude that Fettucini Alfredo is just Mac-and-Cheese for food snobs.
— Neil deGrasse Tyson
Kev83

Post by Kev83 »

Sharpening, in my opinion, is very therapeutic! Enjoy!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I think most people buy knives before sharpeners. Unless you enjoy sharpening (which I do) there isn't as much fun in a sharpener as there is a knife. You don't really get the most out of a knife until you learn to sharpen it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

Realize that buying that sharpmaker makes you ill, very ill. The incubationtime will be short. Very soon you will be suffering of Spyder-fever and turn into a steel-nut. Mark my words :D
Tom
bh49

Post by bh49 »

This is smart move to buy sharpmaker. It is a great tool.
Evil D wrote:I think most people buy knives before sharpeners.
True. If you buy sharpener before knives, you will have nothing to sharpen. :)
BTW, sharpmaker was my first Spydie. I bought Native a month or two later, which started a chain reaction.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Revival

Post by Revival »

Dont forget to get the ultra fine rods too....your 5th spydie might have to wait another week...haha
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

Think of it as an investment for those excellent knives you have. Well worth the money spent.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
JD Spydo

Sharp before the KNIFE

Post by JD Spydo »

OK take from a guy who has been a Spyderco/Knife addict for over 15 years now. First of all you have to put everything in it's proper perspective. Item number one on the list is the knife itself>> however a knife is only as good as it is "SHARP".

A while back I came into a windfall of unexpected cash and I looked at a lot of Great Spyder models I had been envying for some time>> but I soon realized that the most important thing is to be able to keep that knife SHARP>> so what I did with the cash was to immediately get some newer sharpening tools that I had been needing to get my skills to another level. But do keep in mind that I'm a sharpening fanatic as well as a knife fanatic and I'm a real particular guy when it comes to using knives as well.

But I learned a long time ago that a dull knife is about as useless of a tool as it gets. I guess you could use the "chicken and the egg" analogy if you like. Or say to yourself what comes first?

If you have that many Spyderco blades already and haven't yet gotten a Spyderco 204 Sharpmaker I say get the Sharpmaker immediately. Use that tool to learn about the principles of sharpening and then focus on later getting your sharpening abilities to a higher level. I would always make sure I had a way to get the knife super sharp before I would ever even focus on wanting my next knife>> that has always been my highest priority.

To me sharpening equipment and the skill of using it is even more important that the knife itself in many respects. Most survivalists for instance believe that the "KNIFE" is about the most important tool of survival that you can bring to the table. But don't lose perspective that they are talking about a knife that you can use>> yes a sharp knife>> one that you can use and use efficiently.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Cricket Bite,

The Edge is a wondrous thing unto itself, as is it's care and feeding.

Hopefully, the Sharpmaker will help you acquire a greater understanding of the edge.

sal
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Congrats Cricket :) Understanding about sharp and materials can be very gratifying :)

Don't hesitate to ask questions and never let frustration control your muscles ;) Enjoy your journey :) :)
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
Nifty_Nives

Post by Nifty_Nives »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:I would rather have a single sharp knife and the capability to sharpen it rather than have 10 dull knives with no capability to sharpen them.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
Andy
Cricket Bite

Post by Cricket Bite »

sal wrote:Hi Cricket Bite,

The Edge is a wondrous thing unto itself, as is it's care and feeding.

Hopefully, the Sharpmaker will help you acquire a greater understanding of the edge.

sal
If anyone has ever read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance then I am the type that needs to know how the motorcycle works and take it apart only to put it back together again (although I don't own one I am more mountain bike guy). I think this sharpening thing will be a new found hobby (at least my wife hopes :o )
— Neil deGrasse Tyson
BAL

Post by BAL »

Yeah, but what good is it to have a nice shiny new car without any gas.
The sharpmaker will always be there for you, no matter what knives that
you buy in the future and how you use them.

Congrats on the great choice.
Norris

Post by Norris »

The SharpMaker is nice, get one and then you can always get another knife later but have sharp knives today.
:spyder:
chuckd

Post by chuckd »

You underestimate the love you will feel for the sharpmaker
So many spydies, not enough pockets.

"No one else could ever be admitted here, since this gate was made only for you. I am now going to shut it." Before the Law, Franz Kafka

Spydernation #1990
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Nifty_Nives wrote:Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
So true, although there's still the supermarket. :)
Cricket Bite

Post by Cricket Bite »

I am not sure if anyone misunderstood but I was never adverse to buying one. It was tough to pass up another sharpie for the Sharpmaker. I am glad I have it. The only thing I currently have that needs to be sharpened is my kitchen knife. I think I will watch the DVD first. In the past I have sent my knives to Spyderco for the free sharpening. Always did a good job for me but last time I called it was a 3 week wait :eek: So now on to self sufficiency.
— Neil deGrasse Tyson