Is Salt I legal in Israel?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
densur

Is Salt I legal in Israel?

Post by densur »

I am going to visit Israel on my vacation and I want to take reliable Spyderco knife with me (for fruits cutting and so on). My choice is Salt I due to rust resistant and relatively small blade.

I've read that folding knives with blade length less that 100 mm are legal in Israel, but I am not sure whether there is a restriction on locking. In some countries even small folding knives are prohibited if they have locking mechanism.

I am not going to use it as EDC - I will keep the knife in the hotel. But I am going to travel a lot, therefore in any case the knife will travel with me in my luggage.

Thank you in advance,
Denis.
psimonl

Post by psimonl »

Take it... If it's illegal and seized, just buy another one.....

Simon
"Everyday above the ground and vertical is a good day".
-Sir A. Hopkins in "The world's Fastest Indian"

"If it hurts, it means you're not dead..."
-Kayakist Marie-Pier Cote

The Spyderco Cookbook
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Uh...I would look into a bit more than that. Having a knife "seized" can be a $40 loss or much worse.

My personal opinion is when a tourist (anyone visiting anywhere else) assume you are already at a legal disadvantage. Go as unobtrusive as possible if you don't know the local laws or doing research to assure it won't be a problem.

Frankly I can't even tell you with 100% confidence every county in Washington the legal carry laws. I can tell you with certainty the places I travel. The link in my sig shows that depending on area it varies quite a bit and it's fair to say similar in another country. Throw in cultural and language differences and laws get muddy quick.
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Penal law section 186, subsection B...
( paraphrased a tad... )

...a folding knife, with no locking mechanism (or other ways of turning it into a fixed blade) and with a blade no longer then 10 cm ( around 4 inches ) is classified as an "Olar" (pocket knife) and is legal to carry provided you have a reasonable reason for carrying it...
BUT, you are forbidden from carrying it in educational places (schools, Universities, etc)...

AND it is NOT meant for use in "self protection"...

Remember that most men and women around the age of 18 to 22 are going to be in the military and carrying a firearm...a "nervous" look about you and who knows?

We have freedom of choice, but not freedom of consequence...
Knifeaddict

Post by Knifeaddict »

wow, thats depressing

In a country with such violence always on the horizon and you cant even carry a locking knife and even of you carry a nonlocking folder you cant use it to defend yourself?

The classic liberal mentality , if assaulted lay down and just die so as not to violate the criminals rights. I thought Israel was a land of self sufficient realists. when did they become American style progressive liberals?

and if a bunch of 18-22 year olds with itchy immature trigger fingers are supposed to ensure safety for the masses? wheres the logic in that?

God this world is absolute lunacy
Stuart Ackerman

Knifeaddict.
With all due respect...

..it is nothing to do with immaturity...living with violence has a way of making 18 year old men and woman become very old, very quickly...

I fear this may become political, so I will cease and desist...
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

It's a very grey topic and I'm far from legally trained, but carrying a knife "for defense" in most places is illegal. To carry a cutting tool you used in a martial unplanned encounter is still application of lethal force. That means in 9/10 encounters its an unjustified level of force.

As mentioned. It's a very thick subject material. I would always carry a knife to cut with (even if that's the story). A rare situation where you had to use it, and survived, my only stance would be delivered by a high-dollar attorney.

Realistically if you carry a knife and don't have other plans like avoidance, negotiation, and less-than-lethal training you are setting yourself up for failure. That and I hear often blunt force trauma works better; nobody gets knocked out quickly from a knife.
Knifeaddict

Post by Knifeaddict »

Not trying to say I know what its like to live in Israel and personally I wouldnt want to be there wonderig if every bus ride is your last ending in a hail of ball bearings.

Just thought in my ignorance that everyone there was responsible for self security to some extent since for all purposes they are at war and seems like they always will be .

I would never want to have to use a knife for defense and would rather run than get in a knife fight but if I had to I am not gonna stop and think about the cost of an attorney but the aftermath is always a mess if you do live to see it . better than being dead though isnt it?

I was just surprised to read that things are so restrictive in Israel.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Knifeaddict,

I'm more than happy to discuss the topic with you, preferably in Off-Topic. I understand your stance but feel there is so much to consider from legal use (30 to life isn't exactly "surviving"), to effectiveness. Even claiming self-defense is legal admittance to committing the crime, in this case likely murder. It just means "I had a great reason"...which it better be. ;)

The OP wants to bring a pocket knife to Israel for fruit. He isn't preparing for gang violence on a bus. Out of respect lets keep it relevant to him. Getting arrested or fined for a fruit knife seems valid. There is no reason for the politics of self-defense if he is planning a picnic :) .

Ps: sorry Denis. I stumbled into it as well. Hope you enjoy your trip! Stay safe and check those laws.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Denis,

Welcome to our forum.

Knife laws right now are very strict in Israel. There was a knife crime a couple of years ago and the reaction has been to outlaw knives for carry without a good reason. If you are doing something thought to be suspicious (easy to do in the Middle East) and caught with a knife, they can hold you for 3 days without any attention. Then they can release you and keep your knife. No charges, just the inconvenience of spending 3 days in jail.

I would suggest a small slip joint that is not intimidating in any way. Like a Pingo or a Squeak. Keep it ion your pocket, out of sight and don't do anything intimidating in public.

sal
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

Knifeaddict wrote:wow, thats depressing

In a country with such violence always on the horizon and you cant even carry a locking knife and even of you carry a nonlocking folder you cant use it to defend yourself?

The classic liberal mentality , if assaulted lay down and just die so as not to violate the criminals rights. I thought Israel was a land of self sufficient realists. when did they become American style progressive liberals?

and if a bunch of 18-22 year olds with itchy immature trigger fingers are supposed to ensure safety for the masses? wheres the logic in that?

God this world is absolute lunacy
Please read the forum rules - this is a forum for our shared hobby of collecting and using Spyderco knives. I don't want to visit here to read someone's political opinions, whether I agree with them or not. There are other places for politics, please do not make this one of them.
dman62

Post by dman62 »

Sounds like an excuse to get a new knife to me. Maybe a UK penknife. Enjoy your trip. Sounds like a great adventure with lots of memories. Learn how to say please, thank you, excuse me, and where's the bathroom? in the native language. Goes a long way in creating good will.
Stuart Ackerman

Please help me...Na la'azor
Thank you ...Towdah
Excuse me... Se' leecha
Bathroom?...hmmm.. merely clamping your legs together might help in any language?
[ENFORCER]

Post by [ENFORCER] »

dman62 wrote:Sounds like an excuse to get a new knife to me. Maybe a UK penknife. Enjoy your trip. Sounds like a great adventure with lots of memories. Learn how to say please, thank you, excuse me, and where's the bathroom? in the native language. Goes a long way in creating good will.
The "Native" language.
Good one :D
densur

Post by densur »

Thanks to everybody. Thank you Sal.
I've just bought UK Penknife in S30v with titanium handle - really great knife! But my hand unconsciously always tries to find backlock button before closing it :)