Am I the only one who isn't a fan of VG-10?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

kbuzbee wrote:But these "quirks" alongside their strengths make them fun. ;) S30V and VG10 are terrific all around steels. But they don't push the envelope.

Ken
Nope, they don't push the envelope, but I find they open envelopes just fine ;)
densur

Post by densur »

I love VG10 for it's stainless properties and easy sharpening.
Therefore, I think, it is a best choice for EDC knife (if you work in the office).
I am using Endura VG10 for soft tasks, like pencils, envelops, fruits and so on. Therefore when Endura becomes a little bit dull, I can make it sharp again even using leather cover of my diary! (I have to use Sharpmaker only once in a couple of months.)

Sometimes knife sharpening on the leather cover makes my colleagues in the office a little bit nervous, but for me it's a great anti-stress or mind concentration procedure :) Therefore, I am very thankfull to VG10 for it's anti-stress properties :)
Melektau

Post by Melektau »

My lord I knew talking trash about vg 10 was going to piss some people off!
dragonram7

Post by dragonram7 »

I'm a VG-10 fan. However, my favorite is still BG-42.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

It all depends on the type of edge nut You are :) VG-10 is a beautiul compromise in properties. If a different material is needed or desired they are very available :)
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
GoodEyeSniper

Post by GoodEyeSniper »

I'm okay with it, but it's one of my last favorite steels. edge holding seems extremely low compared to even s30v. easy to sharpen, but I like sharpening carbon steel more.

I've never had an issue with corrosion on any steel, so that trait is useless to me.

I'm not going to turn a good knife down because of it, but it doesn't wow me.

From Spyderco steels I've used it goes:

-CPM M4
-
-s30v
-
-
-vg10
-9cr....
-8cr....
-ats 55

tried to show the divide there in how many steps I feel are between them. the high alloys just hold that working edge so much longer than vg10 and lower from my experience.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

AUS-8 is wonderful compared to the blades I grew up using. I like VG-10 better and now I don't want a knife with AUS-8 unless there are other features I like a lot. Now I have used other steels I like better than VG-10. Does that mean AUS-8 and VG-10 are not good any more. ABSOLUTELY, THEY SUCK! Just kidding. They are very good, useful blade steels. One of these days CPM-M4 and S90V may seem obsolete. Everything gets outdated or obsolete. One a similar note, you younger people don't think less of your elders. You will be an elder one day and you will highly value the knowledge you have. You'll just wish you were younger. :( :)
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

Side note, there seems to be a lot more bickering on the forum in general lately.

On topic, I'll say that VG-10 hits all of the points as a great mainstream user steel. It holds and edge well enough, has good corrosion resistance, relatively easy sharpenablity, it hasn't proven to be easily damaged, and above all has all those attributes at a fair price.

A lot of steels people like better make different compromises. ZDP is expensive and harder to sharpen. D2 doesnt have so much corrosion resistance, S90 V is very expensive and hard to grind. 8CR13MOV isn't as hard or wear resistant. It's all about compromises and VG-10 is right in the middle of a lot of attributes.
On order: Maxamet Native 5
Current pocket hog: S90V Para2
Next up: Something Blurple
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Discussing is possible with people of vastly different opinions and backgrounds. Bickering is when people take things personally.

To say someone isn't a fan of VG10 isn't a sin (tho some believe it to be). To have absolutely no factual backing besides perhaps a few anecdotal examples for your opinion doesn't make it seem very sound. For someone to take take offense at another doubting them on that basis doesn't show much maturity. One logical response instead of taking offense is to question one's own beliefs, it's less volatile than firing back.

My problem with the statement of "I'm not a big fan of ____" is when they can't respond with a proposed replacement. If you can point out a problem and have no clue how to fix it all that generates is noise. That and other people saying, "remember when people on this forum were nice?"
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Blerv wrote:Discussing is possible with people of vastly different opinions and backgrounds. Bickering is when people take things personally.

To say someone isn't a fan of VG10 isn't a sin (tho some believe it to be). To have absolutely no factual backing besides perhaps a few anecdotal examples for your opinion doesn't make it seem very sound. For someone to take take offense at another doubting them on that basis doesn't show much maturity. One logical response instead of taking offense is to question one's own beliefs, it's less volatile than firing back.

My problem with the statement of "I'm not a big fan of ____" is when they can't respond with a proposed replacement. If you can point out a problem and have no clue how to fix it all that generates is noise. That and other people saying, "remember when people on this forum were nice?"
I'll have to school you on this Blerv. :D

When I do it, I'm just presenting an oposing opinion. When others do it, they are bickering. ;)
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:I'll have to school you on this Blerv. :D

When I do it, I'm just presenting an oposing opinion. When others do it, they are bickering. ;)
Lol. :D

There is truth to that. People have different capacities to hear opposing opinions. I've seen bloodcurdling one-sided fights about religion and politics with one person never raising a voice or eyebrow :rolleyes: :eek: .

We seem to live in a time where people can't be told they are wrong or questioned their logic. It's an affront to our egos and thus an attack on our character.

IMHO, it's less painful to simply say, "maybe I'm wrong" or "I'll have to think about that, thanks" than swinging at the air with a red face. The latter makes people look FAR more foolish.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Blerv wrote:Lol. :D

There is truth to that. People have different capacities to hear opposing opinions. I've seen bloodcurdling one-sided fights about religion and politics with one person never raising a voice or eyebrow :rolleyes: :eek: .

We seem to live in a time where people can't be told they are wrong or questioned their logic. It's an affront to our egos and thus an attack on our character.

IMHO, it's less painful to simply say, "maybe I'm wrong" or "I'll have to think about that, thanks" than swinging at the air with a red face. The latter makes people look FAR more foolish.
Bruised egos have probably caused more fights than politics or religion,. :D
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Bruised egos have probably caused more fights than politics or religion,. :D
...And maybe a few wars to boot.
CaptainTim

Post by CaptainTim »

I carry a Delica 4 FFG in my pocket daily, and an Endura 4 FFG in my daypack. Both get used near saltwater every day, and I have no complaints re: the VG-10.
armstrong1720

Post by armstrong1720 »

hi guys im new here.. well i guess im weird cowboy but i LOVE the vg10 in my endura..from cuttin balls off young bulls to docking tails on puppies..we would work 300-400 head of bulls and would steer them out and at the same time i also had a dog kennel and would have up to 80 pups on the ground at once..i would sharpen that baby up and go to work..the pups would be about 3-4 days old and the bone is soft but it would cut right through...and still sharp after alot of pups ..now back to runnin trucks and scraping gaskets to cutting old fuel lines ..the vg10 is it in my book..to me it sharpens up great and to me easy..but thats just me
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Sorry, cutting up pups? :eek:
armstrong1720

Docking

Post by armstrong1720 »

anagarika wrote:Sorry, cutting up pups? :eek:
Yeah down here we dock ( cut the tails ) off the pups that are cow dogs. So the tail dont get in the way. On Heelers and aussies only.
SmilingFury

Post by SmilingFury »

armstrong1720 wrote: well i guess im weird cowboy but i LOVE the vg10 in my endura..from cuttin balls off young bulls to docking tails on puppies..
I am new here also but I would like to nominate Armstrong for the "most creative way to bring a thread to a screeching halt" award :D . Bull balls and puppy tails? I am not so sure I can look at my delica the same ever again, hahaha.
JudasD

Post by JudasD »

I thought his post was awesome. many of us do not get to use our knives on flesh other than hunting or the kitchen. His usage really shines a light on an area that we never (or rarely) hear about. Thank you for the post
armstrong1720.

JD
armstrong1720

Post by armstrong1720 »

JudasD wrote:I thought his post was awesome. many of us do not get to use our knives on flesh other than hunting or the kitchen. His usage really shines a light on an area that we never (or rarely) hear about. Thank you for the post
armstrong1720.

JD
Yes sir. But yall boys think about this. If you can dock tails and cut through bone still razor sharp and later that evening its long enough to go cut water melons with ease then what can it do for self defense ?? The idiot that attacked you would have serious problems down to the bone .. I have a bunch of enduras with vg10 and lately i make sure thats what i have when i go to truck stops late at night. First knife i bought my wife endura 4 vg10 fully serrated. She loves it !