Caly 3.5

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Chevy

Caly 3.5

Post by Chevy »

Received a Caly 3.5 G10 model in the mail yesterday and after handling it, cutting stuff, etc I am wondering why I didn't buy this knife earlier! It sits well in the hand and I appreciate the jimping on the choils on both sides of the blade. I also enjoy the wire clip as in my opinion it is a little more discreet than say an hourglass clip. And it is made in one of my favorite steels: VG10.

Why did I not buy this knife earlier?
:spyder: in possession: Endura4 CE, Endura4 Trainer, Delica4 PE, Delica4 Trainer, Matriarch2, Manix2 PE Black Blade, Atlantic Salt, Tasman Salt SE, Tasman Salt PE, Pacific Salt PE Black Blade, UKPK Drop Point PE Maroon, Squeak, Bob T, Grasshopper, Kiwi Stag, Native Lightweight CE, Ambitious, Poliwog, Manbug LW, Native5, ATR Ti SE, Spydercard, Calypso Jr. SE, Caly 3.5 G10, Meerkat, Street Bowie, Swick2.

en route:

:spyder:wants: Pingo, Yojimbo2, Street Beat, Jester, Ronin, Starmate.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Chevy wrote: Why did I not buy this knife earlier?
It is a good question. Probably you will find the answer in your sig line :)
Anyway, congrats. Both Caly3 and 3.5 are among my favorite knives
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Chopping Broccoli

Post by Chopping Broccoli »

I own the Caly 3.5 Super Blue version. Its a great knife with great ergos. Enjoy.
Current Spydies....
Captain
Persian
Chinook 3
Manix 2
Stretch (Black CE and Blue ZDP)
Military (orange, brown, and CF)
Para Military 1 (black) (My EDC)
Para Military 2 (grey, orange, brown, blue, green)
Khukuri
Sage 1, 2, 3, & 4
Dodo
Chokwe
Gayle Bradley
Caly 3.5 Super Blue
UKPK
Urban (Wharncliffe and Leaf)
Progrip
Endura (white, orange, and G10)
Delica x6
Dragonfly x2
Ladybug x4
Perrin Street Bowie
Super Leaf

jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Chevy wrote:Received a Caly 3.5 G10 model in the mail yesterday and after handling it, cutting stuff, etc I am wondering why I didn't buy this knife earlier! It sits well in the hand and I appreciate the jimping on the choils on both sides of the blade. I also enjoy the wire clip as in my opinion it is a little more discreet than say an hourglass clip. And it is made in one of my favorite steels: VG10.

Why did I not buy this knife earlier?
I think many have asked themselves the same question. I know I have. THEN I FIGURED IT OUT!!! If you had bought the knife a year ago you wouldn't be really happy with a brand new great knife RIGHT NOW. :D You would be sitting around wondering why you have some sort of empty feeling that can only be filled with a new knife that you really like.

I thought this was a pretty illuminating revelation. I don't think even Confucious (spelling?) figured this one out. :D

BTW, congratulations on a great knife. Never owned one myself. Guess I'm waiting for the day when I have that empty feeling. :D

Jack
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

The Caly 3.5 is one of the best carry knives I've ever used. You get a lot of blade in a very convenient, and discreet package.
:bug-red-white
Chevy

Post by Chevy »

bh49 wrote:It is a good question. Probably you will find the answer in your sig line :)
Anyway, congrats. Both Caly3 and 3.5 are among my favorite knives
Very funny. And to think it all started with an Endura4 at a Navy Exchange in Norfolk. I really like the Caly and am sure it will be competing with my Native5 and Manix2 as an EDC.
jackknifeh wrote:I think many have asked themselves the same question. I know I have. THEN I FIGURED IT OUT!!! If you had bought the knife a year ago you wouldn't be really happy with a brand new great knife RIGHT NOW. :D You would be sitting around wondering why you have some sort of empty feeling that can only be filled with a new knife that you really like.

I thought this was a pretty illuminating revelation. I don't think even Confucious (spelling?) figured this one out. :D

BTW, congratulations on a great knife. Never owned one myself. Guess I'm waiting for the day when I have that empty feeling. :D

Jack
That is true. And also why I like Spyderco so much in regards to so many different designs, purposes, blade steel, materials, etc. As opposed to other knife companies where it is "oh another Mel Parue knife that looks just like the other ones." Granted there is a place in my heart for Benchmade, but it still doesn't quite "click" with me as Sal and Co. have done.
:spyder: in possession: Endura4 CE, Endura4 Trainer, Delica4 PE, Delica4 Trainer, Matriarch2, Manix2 PE Black Blade, Atlantic Salt, Tasman Salt SE, Tasman Salt PE, Pacific Salt PE Black Blade, UKPK Drop Point PE Maroon, Squeak, Bob T, Grasshopper, Kiwi Stag, Native Lightweight CE, Ambitious, Poliwog, Manbug LW, Native5, ATR Ti SE, Spydercard, Calypso Jr. SE, Caly 3.5 G10, Meerkat, Street Bowie, Swick2.

en route:

Holland

Post by Holland »

might have been overshadowed by your already large collection! :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Bill S.

Post by Bill S. »

I tried a Caly 3.5 but I couldn't close it with one hand without bringing the blade onto my index finger. Is there a trick to it?
Chevy

Post by Chevy »

Holland wrote:might have been overshadowed by your already large collection! :D
Very true. I tell people who are curious about Spyderco knives to not buy them as they get a large amount of them in the end, then I just smile and say go ahead.

en route:

Chevy

Post by Chevy »

Bill S. wrote:I tried a Caly 3.5 but I couldn't close it with one hand without bringing the blade onto my index finger. Is there a trick to it?
From what I have found is this method. Now I am left handed so just mirror it if you are right handed. Place index finger in Spyderhole and thumb on the lock. Depress lock and slowly bring blade towards your middle finger. From there place your thumb in the Spyderhole and guide it into the frame.

en route: