More CTS-20CP?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

204P, and 20CP... These are steels I want to see a lot more of actually. Not the opposite! I'd be very content if these two steels stuck around and became more "common" steel options.

If 20CP on the chopping block, I humbly suggest to pump some models out with it before it's gone. Stockpile!
Bags14

Post by Bags14 »

OK, normally I do not jump into the forums but just read them to get a feel for what is going now.

In real life I am the Commercial Manager for Knife Blades for Carpenter Technology and I need to clear the air here.

Carpenter is NOT discontinuing CTS 204P. There are a number of custom makers that love the stuff. We are going in the other direction with it!
It will probably go into production with one of the other OEMs in the near future. The origin of of 204P is Carpenter's Micro Melt 20-4 stainless tool steel and not that foreign brand. I think you will find our MM20-4 has been around longer and is source of the chemistry.

In regards to CTS 20CP:
over the last couple years we have developed CTS XHP, 40CP, B70P, BD4P, BD30P, and 204P and we have slab material for OEMs like Spyderco to order from.
We have CTS PD1P in development and we are debating an insane material Maxamet for the market.
CTS 20CP is still there but we have not focused on it. If the market is interested we will be more than happy to make the material.
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

The only experience I have with 204P is in my Southard and for some reason it seems to take the sharpest edge I've ever been able to put on any blade, , and hold it very well. Yeah, it might not be my 1st choice for a large fixed blade field knife, but for any folder it has become my favorite steel, hands down. So news that it isn't being discontinued is awesome.
termite

Post by termite »

Bags14 wrote:OK, normally I do not jump into the forums but just read them to get a feel for what is going now.

In real life I am the Commercial Manager for Knife Blades for Carpenter Technology and I need to clear the air here.

Carpenter is NOT discontinuing CTS 204P. There are a number of custom makers that love the stuff. We are going in the other direction with it!
It will probably go into production with one of the other OEMs in the near future. The origin of of 204P is Carpenter's Micro Melt 20-4 stainless tool steel and not that foreign brand. I think you will find our MM20-4 has been around longer and is source of the chemistry.

In regards to CTS 20CP:
over the last couple years we have developed CTS XHP, 40CP, B70P, BD4P, BD30P, and 204P and we have slab material for OEMs like Spyderco to order from.
We have CTS PD1P in development and we are debating an insane material Maxamet for the market.
CTS 20CP is still there but we have not focused on it. If the market is interested we will be more than happy to make the material.
Thank you, sir for participating here and sharing the good news/facts. All the best!
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

I am keeping my CTS 20CP Para 2, had it reground and it works extremely well. :)

Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Bags14 wrote:OK, normally I do not jump into the forums but just read them to get a feel for what is going now.

In regards to CTS 20CP:
Thanks for ringing in. :cool:

It's good to have information directly from the steel companies and to see what direction they are thinking about going in. Hopeful we will see more companies requesting CTS 20CP in the future as it seems to be a very solid very high performing steel from my experience. Although I would guess it's not going to be for everyone due to the very high wear resistance and the added cost of the material and processing it into knife blades.

Like M390, CTS 204P looks to be a very well balanced general use knife blade material that has excellent wear resistance and from the reports that I have gotten it's not chippy either. Personal experience has been with M390 in a number of blades (Mostly customs) and 20CV. So I am waiting to get my hands on one to run so I can get some good solid data to compare.

Thanks again for posting and I hope to see more of you here. :)

Jim
Holland

Post by Holland »

thanks for your input bags! i had a sigh of relief after reading your post
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Bags,

Welcome to our forum and thanx much for sharing info. We always prefer to know the truth here. Hope you visit now and then and share info on your excellent steels.

sal
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Hi, Bags - welcome to the Forum! We really appreciate the information - as you can probably tell, we are a bunch of fanatics here, :cool: and many of us really enjoy using your products. Please feel free to weigh in as often as you can!

Cheers!
TedP
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

It might be nice to see Carpenter make their version of CPM S110V, now that would really be something I think. :D

Run it to 64-65 HRC in a Military or a Sprint run South Fork, AHHH, the possibilities. :)
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Thanks to Bags for chiming in with some trustworthy information "from the horse's mouth." It is a great service to this community when someone in the know comes and dispels myth, rumor, and gossip with the antidote of factual knowledge. We are blessed to have Sal generously playing that role here, as well as Ed Shempp and Michael Janich on occasion. I am grateful for the nonsense these gentlemen have dispelled with their cogent explanations.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Ankerson wrote:Run it to 64-65 HRC in a Military or a Sprint run South Fork, AHHH, the possibilities. :)
And a Native 5, please! ;)

Ken
玉鋼
haarspalter

Post by haarspalter »

im a lucky cts-20cp pm2 owner!
i also love my XHP Military, my XHP PM2 FrankenPm2 and my XHP Manix2 and the southard flipper... give me more CTS!
:spyder: Mule k390-S110v-Cruwear, Gayle Bradley, Cruwear Military Collectors #13V, CPM-M4-Ti Military CF Scales, Para2 20cp
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Another hearty thank you!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Bags14 wrote: In real life I am the Commercial Manager for Knife Blades for Carpenter Technology and I need to clear the air here.

In regards to CTS 20CP:
Welcome to the Forum and thank you for info.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Ankerson wrote:It might be nice to see Carpenter make their version of CPM S110V, now that would really be something I think. :D
Run it to 64-65 HRC in a Military or a Sprint run South Fork, AHHH, the possibilities. :)
kbuzbee wrote:And a Native 5, please! ;)
Ken
Carpenter version of S110V h/t to 64-65 HRC. Who will be able to resits such Native5? :) We need it now.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

Bags14 wrote:... we are debating an insane material Maxamet for the market.
How about a sane knife steel, i.e., similar to the cold work tungsten grades but taking into account the recent advantages in carbide/grain refinement due to nitrogen/niobium and thermal processing, and a similar but stainless steel.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Termite,

Welcome to the Spyderco forum.

sal
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

Bags14 wrote:Carpenter is NOT discontinuing CTS 204P.
Welcome Bags14. Thx for sharing this info! I like the 204P on the Southard a lot and glad to hear its staying. Very nice of you to shed some light on this, I would love to hear more from you on other steel discussions. Having the opion or info from an expert like you is most intersting to read!
Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE
mattman

Post by mattman »

This is good news!

now I can stop trying to buy up all the remaining Southards...

my wallet and I thank you, Bags!