More CTS-20CP?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
phillipsted

More CTS-20CP?

Post by phillipsted »

I've been enjoying my Para2 in 20CP for a while now. The steel is turning out to be one of my very favorites - it takes a great edge, has all the edge holding of S90V and is relatively easy to sharpen.

I don't recall seeing any discussion of Spyderco's plans (or lack thereof) concerning the future of this steel. I assume that it is expensive, which would automatically limit it to certain models. Is it in short supply or is it difficult to work with in a production environment? Just curious why we haven't seen more of this great steel...

TedP
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

A Manix2 or Native5 would be great. Even a lightweight sprint to save a buck and a few ounces. :)
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Blerv wrote:A Manix2 or Native5 would be great. Even a lightweight sprint to save a buck and a few ounces. :)
Manix 2 Lightweight in 20CP sounds like a dream!
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Blerv wrote:A Manix2 or Native5 would be great. Even a lightweight sprint to save a buck and a few ounces. :)
xceptnl wrote:Manix 2 Lightweight in 20CP sounds like a dream!
Native5 in 20CP sounds even better. I know that Ken needs one not later than tomorrow :D , tonight would be even better
Of cause I need one too :)
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

I would love to see more knives made in 20CP, so I asked Sal during the Spydercomeet and he said nothing was forseen in this steel for the moment :( I also asked maybe in 204P and the answer was more painfull then expected. Sal said Carpenter is discontinuing 204P. But they have the steel for the Green PM2 so this one will certainly come. I forgot to ask if this will have an impact on future Southard runs. My bad but it could be that the Southard comes in another steel in the future... lets hope not.
Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE
bh49

Post by bh49 »

IG-88 wrote: Sal said Carpenter is discontinuing 204P.
I wondering what is the reason to discontinue 204P. It looks like no problem to make M390.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

IG-88 wrote:I also asked maybe in 204P and the answer was more painfull then expected. Sal said Carpenter is discontinuing 204P. But they have the steel for the Green PM2 so this one will certainly come. I forgot to ask if this will have an impact on future Southard runs. My bad but it could be that the Southard comes in another steel in the future... lets hope not.
Interesting. It also makes me wonder what that means for the planned 204P Mule team?

If 204P disappears, the Southard will likely have to switch to another steel. I would also expect secondary prices on the Para 2 sprint to shoot through the roof, as there won't really be any other way to get this particular steel, making it even more exclusive.

Back on topic of the original post, I missed out on the 20CP Para 2 and would love to see the steel offered again in another model. Native 5 is okay, but I would rather just buy the S110V version. Perhaps a Manix XL or Ti Military would be great as well.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

IG-88 wrote:Sal said Carpenter is discontinuing 204P.
So disappointing!
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

bh49 wrote:I wondering what is the reason to discontinue 204P. It looks like no problem to make M390.
If I remember well Sal mentioned they have to many different steels and want to focus on some and have less variaty. Now that we are talking steel, another steel fact Eric shared was on the Bioblue, the unscratchable steel that would be used on the Foundry scales is also a no go. That stuff is so hard that it is nearly impossible to produce a flat piece. Eric mentionned seeing guys at Carpenter trying to roll it flat manually and with machines and without success the thing keeps warping... Carpenter produced already over $30.000 of unusable Bioblue so the project is stopped and the knife wont unfortunatly have Bioblue scales. Ah you can't win them all... that what I like about Spyderco, always on the look out for innovations! Always willing to try soething new! I can't wait to see what the future will bring :)
Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE
Holland

Post by Holland »

xceptnl wrote:Manix 2 Lightweight in 20CP sounds like a dream!
would be a must buy
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

An FFG Manix 2 in 20CP would be awesome. After some initial love-hate with this steel, I've really come to love it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

bh49 wrote:Native5 in 20CP sounds even better. I know that Ken needs one not later than tomorrow :D , tonight would be even better
True, but it sounds like it won't happen. Ah well...

Ken
玉鋼
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

IG-88 wrote:Bioblue, the unscratchable steel that would be used on the Foundry scales is also a no go...so the project is stopped and the knife wont unfortunatly have Bioblue scales.
Wow. That single prototype version they showed in Amsterdam just became the rarest and most valuable collectable in all of Spyderdom. :cool:

TedP
bh49

Post by bh49 »

kbuzbee wrote:True, but it sounds like it won't happen. Ah well...
Ken
It sounds that 204P will not happen, but we still have chances for 20CP.

JNewell

Post by JNewell »

IG-88 wrote:I would love to see more knives made in 20CP, so I asked Sal during the Spydercomeet and he said nothing was forseen in this steel for the moment :( I also asked maybe in 204P and the answer was more painfull then expected. Sal said Carpenter is discontinuing 204P. But they have the steel for the Green PM2 so this one will certainly come. I forgot to ask if this will have an impact on future Southard runs. My bad but it could be that the Southard comes in another steel in the future... lets hope not.
I missed that - do you remember whether that was here or at Bladeforums or somewhere else? - do you by any chance have a link to the thread?
Donut

Post by Donut »

I hope they don't discontinue 204P before the Para comes out. :p
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

204P is just m390, so the steel is still available from a different supplier.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Cliff Stamp wrote:204P is just m390, so the steel is still available from a different supplier.
Yes, but the provenance of a short-lived name will rocket the secondary market value of those long awaited Para 2's through the roof. Carpenter being an American firm may add more cachet for some USA-based collectors. In collecting, value is strongly influenced by both rarity and these other non-utilitarian factors.

I ordered the green P2 as a gift for my dad, whose favorite color is green, and he has never handled a P2. It was a plus that it was less expensive than the smurf M390 P2. Now it looks like the green ones will end up more valuable than the blue ones.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Bill1170 wrote: I ordered the green P2 as a gift for my dad, whose favorite color is green, Now it looks like the green ones will end up more valuable than the blue ones.
IMHO green is much better looking color than blue :)
I love green as well
phillipsted wrote:I've been enjoying my Para2 in 20CP for a while now. The steel is turning out to be one of my very favorites - it takes a great edge, has all the edge holding of S90V and is relatively easy to sharpen.
TedP
Ted,
Is 20CP easier to sharpen than S90V? Is any difference in hardness of the blades, which you compare?
Roman

Donut

Post by Donut »

I have been wondering about BD30P as well.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!