Got me my first FB Spydie

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
KardinalSyn

Got me my first FB Spydie

Post by KardinalSyn »

It was tough to decide between the fixed blades currently available in the Spyderco line up. Also I did not have much money to spend. Did a bit of research online on forums and YouTube. It was a very difficult decision but I finally pulled the trigger on February 9 at KC where the model was listed on pre order basis.

Post was a mess. I think there were no flights and the blade spent a couple of weeks at the JFK airport. It was utter torture to check status via tracking these past few weeks.

The new Perrin Street Bowie was in my hands today. It is a totally different knife to the ones I am used to but I like the feel and build of this knife. The handles curvature is excellent. It just feels very comfortable whichever way I hold it. Wore the knife at work IWB and it felt at home by my side. I can't wait to use this knife.

Only one small thing that I disliked, the blade was not as sharp as my few other Spydies out of the box. The SM will fix that soon.

The wait was worth it.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Congrats on what looks like a great knife. Just curious what type of work you do that this knife would be useful. Also, I assume you live outside the USA by your mentioning the airport. If there were no flights I'm really wondering where you are. :) Given the fact that a 5" blade is your work knife and there are not many flights to where you live I figure you live in the deep deep jungle. :D
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

Thanks chief, yep, I live in the woods with monitor lizards and snakes everywhere. That's why the knife and the flashlight are by my side everyday. :)

I just wore the Perrin Bowie for fun at work. Folks here would have a very hard time if they saw me with that. One of the things that helped me decide about buying this knife was the OpFocus guide photo showing the Perrin being carried IWB with the G-Clip on the outside over the belt. I have seen law enforcement folk as well as private bodyguards carry knives on their person but they seem to always have their knife handles jutting out. This G-Clip is cooler than the other clips I've seen. And it looks belt friendly, only further wearing will tell.

This was the longest time that a package from the States took to reach me. I am baffled but not overly concerned now that I have it.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear KardinalSyn:

Congratulations on your purchase of the Street Bowie. It is hands-down my favorite fixed blade in the Spyderco line. The G-Clip IWB carry shown in the OpFocus catalog is very comfortable for me (that's my waistband and my photography in the catalog). My other favorite is to remove the G-Clip and attach an IWB strap (like those sold by Blade-Tech) or a short loop of 550 cord to the holes near the mouth of the sheath to carry in the crease of the hip, a few inches to the right of the belt buckle. With a flexible loop, the sheath rides in the crease and for most people sits high enough not to poke them in the "tender bits." From this position, a standard-grip draw is very fast and requires very little elbow movement.

I hope your knife serves you well. We look forward to your feedback.

Stay safe,

Mike
Michael Janich
Spyderco Special Projects Coordinator
Founder and Lead Instructor, Martial Blade Concepts
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

Thank you Mike. It is indeed a splendid knife. I look forward to using it.

I will try the other carry option with Paracord. Thank you also for that tip.
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

Sounds like you made a good choice.

Gordon
Mike Sastre

Post by Mike Sastre »

The FB04 has been one of my very favorite little concealed carry knives since the original came out. Michael Janich's re-design of the sheath is a great improvement over the original!
JD Spydo

Perrin's Designs are truly a slam dunk excellent choice

Post by JD Spydo »

Congrats on a great choice of Spyderco fixed blades. You can't go wrong with any of Fred Perrin's great designs. I love the STreet Beat which is one of his designs>> I got another one about a year ago and it's been great to carry as a boot and neck knife as well as some food jobs.

But so far my very favorite Spyderco fixed blade is my original FB05 Temperance 1 model. I have it in both PE & SE and both blades are superb for food prep and for a number of outdoor activities like hunting, fishing and wild food gathering. I just sharpened and stropped my Temp 1 this morning and it's just been a fantastic all purpose fixed blade that I use 80 to 90% of the time when I use a fixed blade.

I'm finding that Spyderco is making a huge name for themselves in the fixed blade sector in the past 3 years or so and I sure wish they would come out with a new fixed blade fillet knife. Again I congratulate you on an excellent choice. Let us know how you do with it and what you end up using it for.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
JD Spydo

The RONIN?

Post by JD Spydo »

Mike Sastre wrote:The FB04 has been one of my very favorite little concealed carry knives since the original came out. Michael Janich's re-design of the sheath is a great improvement over the original!
Hey Mike are you talking about the RONIN? I forgot which model number it is :o I do know that Mr. Janich did design that one.

If so I miss it something terrible and would like to see a sprint run of that one for sure. Spyderco's fixed blades were even ahead of their time years ago when the RONIN was in the main line up.

The one after that the FB05 I think started a design revolution at the Great Spyder Factory>> The FB05 and it's folder cousin the C-54 are 2 of Spyderco's greatest ever In House designs IMO. I'll send you a PM later.... >>> JD
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

I noted that the PPT and Street Bowie both have a slight curve on the spine and handle. Any ideas why this is?
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

KardinalSyn wrote:I noted that the PPT and Street Bowie both have a slight curve on the spine and handle. Any ideas why this is?
When I taught an MBC seminar in Paris for Fred last year I had the chance to examine many of his custom knives, including his handmade Street Bowies. They also had the slight curve, so I can only assume that the production version is faithful to the details of his handmade originals. I'll be teaching for Fred in Paris again next month, so I'll try to remember to ask him.

Stay safe,

Mike
Michael Janich
Spyderco Special Projects Coordinator
Founder and Lead Instructor, Martial Blade Concepts
Chopping Broccoli

Post by Chopping Broccoli »

I ordered a Street Bowie from CS and have been enjoying it since its arrival. Its also my first fixed blade. I do have a question. The jimping on the knife turns to plastic jimping on the handle. I assume that is because at some point the metal part of the blade ends and the plastic handle is affixed to the blade. Does anyone have a picture of what this blade looks like without the handle? I'm curious to see if the blade has a continuous piece of metal that travels back into the handle. Reason I ask is I've had some cheap kitchen knives separate from the handle only to find out the handle was just pinned to the end of the blade.
Current Spydies....
Captain
Persian
Chinook 3
Manix 2
Stretch (Black CE and Blue ZDP)
Military (orange, brown, and CF)
Para Military 1 (black) (My EDC)
Para Military 2 (grey, orange, brown, blue, green)
Khukuri
Sage 1, 2, 3, & 4
Dodo
Chokwe
Gayle Bradley
Caly 3.5 Super Blue
UKPK
Urban (Wharncliffe and Leaf)
Progrip
Endura (white, orange, and G10)
Delica x6
Dragonfly x2
Ladybug x4
Perrin Street Bowie
Super Leaf

Mike Sastre

Post by Mike Sastre »

JD,
The FB04 is the Perrin Street Bowie.
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

Michael Janich wrote:When I taught an MBC seminar in Paris for Fred last year I had the chance to examine many of his custom knives, including his handmade Street Bowies. They also had the slight curve, so I can only assume that the production version is faithful to the details of his handmade originals. I'll be teaching for Fred in Paris again next month, so I'll try to remember to ask him.

Stay safe,

Mike
I would be very grateful if you could ask About it if an opportunity presents itself. It reminded me about the way the Katana is shaped and kinda got me thinking that for his blades to reflect this characteristic, there could be an underlying reason. Thanks again Mike. Much appreciated.
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

Chopping Broccoli wrote:I ordered a Street Bowie from CS and have been enjoying it since its arrival. Its also my first fixed blade. I do have a question. The jimping on the knife turns to plastic jimping on the handle. I assume that is because at some point the metal part of the blade ends and the plastic handle is affixed to the blade. Does anyone have a picture of what this blade looks like without the handle? I'm curious to see if the blade has a continuous piece of metal that travels back into the handle. Reason I ask is I've had some cheap kitchen knives separate from the handle only to find out the handle was just pinned to the end of the blade.
I remember asking a similar question before I decided to buy the Perrin Street Bowie. A couple of forum members explained that though it is not a full tang knife, the tang is about 3/4 the length of the handle. The gimping that starts on the blade spine and ends on the handle is actually the tang and not plastic. Given how the handle itself is flexible when gripped, I believe the tang to be skelotonized. Perhaps someone with deep pockets will grace us someday with a photo.