Manix 2 love it locks a little stiff

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DRKBC

Manix 2 love it locks a little stiff

Post by DRKBC »

Just received my Manix 2 all black a couple of days ago. What a great knife, I don't know why I waited so long but I absolutely love it. Very quick to open, handle is incredibly comfortable, weight (although I was a little concerned about it) isn't a factor at all. Just a hundred percent impressed.

One quick question the BB lock, it is really stiff to release. I have other BB locks but this one seems particularly stiff, maybe because of the cage? Does it loosen up a little over time?

Thanks,
Dwayne
greenewk

Post by greenewk »

I think it just takes some time to get used to it and develop the muscle memory for it. When other people try and actuate the lock on my M2, they find it really difficult and stiff... it's quite easy and smooth for me, although if I don't carry it for a while it does feel a bit harder. Once you get used to the level of force and technique for actuating the lock, it feels good. YMMV
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Oh that's good I don't mind it, I just wasn't sure if that is the way it was supposed to be or if it had a burr on it but if that's the way it is I am good with it. I am sure I will build up some calluses on my fingers in no time. Deployment is super fast and smooth though I have to say, I didn't know what to expect but I didn't expect it open as easily as it does. Hasn't left my pocket.
Kev83

Post by Kev83 »

I'm looking to pick up a manix 2 in the very near future after I got to hold one the other day and I agree I don't know what took me so long to get interested in one. I don't have any knives that are BB style lockup either so ill be glad to test it out long term when I get it.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Kev83 wrote:I'm looking to pick up a manix 2 in the very near future after I got to hold one the other day and I agree I don't know what took me so long to get interested in one. I don't have any knives that are BB style lockup either so ill be glad to test it out long term when I get it.
I handled one about 2 months ago and unlike some knives that you are a little unsure about it felt really great immediately. I went back an forth between the Manix 2 and the Super leaf because I love the compression lock but after a little research and input from the forum and forum members I decided to go with the Manix 2. I had to wait for a couple of months because I wanted the all black with S30v and the black Button and most of them were translucent that I was finding. Anyway I found one a couple of weeks ago just received it this week. Great, great knife so incredibly comfortable in the hand. I am sure there could entire threads on Spyderco's handles but really who does this, they have to be the best at putting together a package that is so ergonomic. So many companies design there knives without the end user in mind, they look good but don't feel comfortable or perform that well. I think particularly when you get iconic knives like the Para and the Manix and the Delica etc. that have been constantly refined they are just unbeatable for the value and the performance.
BAL

Post by BAL »

Agree, I think that it is a combination practice and loosening up.
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

I really like the lock on the Manix2 and I found I was practicing with it so much I was wondering why my fingers hurt. I added just a tiny drop of gun oil/grease to the part where the ball bearing sits and things became very smooth, but still retained the positive lock up and effort required to unlock the blade.

Cameron
Bradley Folder 2 CPM M4
Military ​​​CTS XHP​ - CPM​ ​Cru​-​wear​
Para Military 2CTS​ XHP - CTS 204P
Manix 2 CTS XHP - CPM​ ​Cru​-​wear​ - CPM​ M4
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Cameron wrote:I really like the lock on the Manix2 and I found I was practicing with it so much I was wondering why my fingers hurt. I added just a tiny drop of gun oil/grease to the part where the ball bearing sits and things became very smooth, but still retained the positive lock up and effort required to unlock the blade.

Cameron
Thanks Cameron, I am going to try that. It's not that it's that hard its just my fingers were getting a little tender, I wondered if there was a bur there because it requires a fair bit of force to get the ball rolling is it were.
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

DRKBC wrote:Thanks Cameron, I am going to try that. It's not that it's that hard its just my fingers were getting a little tender, I wondered if there was a bur there because it requires a fair bit of force to get the ball rolling is it were.
No it normal, I fool around with my EDC knives constantly and found I got sore fingers too, it's normal.

Cameron
Bradley Folder 2 CPM M4
Military ​​​CTS XHP​ - CPM​ ​Cru​-​wear​
Para Military 2CTS​ XHP - CTS 204P
Manix 2 CTS XHP - CPM​ ​Cru​-​wear​ - CPM​ M4
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Dwayne,

I handled several M2 and still own one of them. I found caged lock had to release. I love ergos on the knife, but never carried one because of the lock. For some reason I never heard such comment about locks on P'Kal.
I hope everything will workout well for you.
R
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
jon1all

Post by jon1all »

The M2is a great knife. I would say its my favorite Spydie right now! Love the way it feels in the hand...amazing ergos!!!!

The BB lock just needs to break in a bit. Keep playing with it and it'll get easier & you'll be a master of it in no time!

I want to get the all-black version in S30V myself too...to pair up to my satin. Great knife! Love it!!!
Apparently, arachnophobia is not a condition from which I suffer.... :spyder:
------
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." (oops!)
--Thomas Jefferson
PLEASE VISIT MY BLOG >>>1all's Pub<<<
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

jon1all wrote:The M2is a great knife. I would say its my favorite Spydie right now! Love the way it feels in the hand...amazing ergos!!!!

The BB lock just needs to break in a bit. Keep playing with it and it'll get easier & you'll be a master of it in no time!

I want to get the all-black version in S30V myself too...to pair up to my satin. Great knife! Love it!!!
Your right, my fingers are toughening up as we speak. I love the knife, it's hard call between it and the Para 2 as to which I like more. Like you say amazing ergo's.

I like the all black, and the blades kind of a different colour DLC than my Para 2. It is more of gun metal or titanium sort of colour, nice though, suits the knife.