Military Detent ball question

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
powerandtel

Military Detent ball question

Post by powerandtel »

Hello, new here! I just pulled the plug on a new Spyderco military...After playing with it for a few days it is really rough to open to the point where my fingers are sore. I have adjusted the pivot to where the blade is perfectly centered and there is very minimal blade play. It appears that the detent ball is causing the issue. My question is how far should the detent ball be embedded into the lockbar? Mine is about halfway, does that sound about right? I have done some reading on the issue and it seems people are saying that it will loosen up over time...although I can't see how since ball bearing steel and S30 V are pretty hard! Hopefully this thing loosens up a bit :confused:
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

Hey powerandtel,
You could try using a toothpick to put a small drop of lubricant on the ball. Afterwards, open and close the blade to work the lube into the track of the detent.
That's helped a few of my knives that were kinda rough.
Btw, welcome to the forums!
Later,
Don
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
powerandtel

Post by powerandtel »

Hey Don thanks for the reply, I tried putting some blue lube in there and it didn't do much to help...it almost seems like the ball isn't pressed into the lock bar far enough. But I could be wrong...
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

Hey powerandtel,
I just looked at the detent ball on my d2 military, and there's only about a quarter to a third of the ball exposed above the surface of the lockbar.
On your knife, with the blade half open, can you tell how far the lockbar is pushed into the milled recess on the inside of the g10.
The recess should be deep enough to allow the lock bar to move to the side as the detent ball rides along the blade tang. If the ball isn't seated properly, the lockbar could be bottoming out in the recess and causing extra drag.
Others here might have better info, explanations, and possible fixes.
This could be a warranty issue, so don't take anything apart. This will void your warranty.
Good luck!
Later,
Don
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
powerandtel

Post by powerandtel »

With the pivot loosened a bit and the blade half open the lock bar is all the way into the milled out area of the G10. It's also very jumpy when the ball rides onto the tang of the knife, almost cut into my thumb closing it because it jumps over that ball!
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

Welcome to the forum powerandtel.

Was the knife rough to open when you got it or did it become like that after the pivot was tightened please? On my own G10 Millie, I had to allow for the blade to be slightly off centre after adjusting the pivot to achieve a smoother opening. Luckily both my Millies have no blade play. Due to the washers being in place, lubing the pivot area usually gives a smoother and faster opening.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
BAL

Post by BAL »

I have had several Spydeco knives that were very tough to open when
I first got them. I would literally open and close them over and over
and over. While I was watchingtv, walking here or there, waiting at
a stop light, any time that I had a bit of time.
A few shots of silicone or other lubricant here or there and work it
again. I would count to a hundred openings etc and start over. Every
one that began as a tough opening knive is now smooth as silk, but
it took some time on some of them.

The Tuff was the Tuffest, but I got it to where I can easliy open and
close with one hand. I still work it here and there. I was watching a
basketball or Nascar race Sunday and the wife fell asleep on the couch.
She woke up and said what is that noise that I keep hearing. It was the Tuff
that I was opening and closing. I told her that it must be baby bird outside
on the deck. She went back to sleep. After a minte or two, I started again.

I am not saying that your's would be the same, but I have done this several
times in the past.
powerandtel

Post by powerandtel »

I think I will send it in, looked at a buddies military and the detent ball is nested further into the lock bar than mine is. Thanks for all the replies!
powerandtel

Post by powerandtel »

Just an update; I have been playing with the knife a bit and it has become way smoother than it was...I guess the knife just had to be broken in. I decided I will not be sending it in after all. I have to say though, out of all the spyderco's I own this one has the best fit and finish. The only thing that was wrong with it aside from the rough action was a few small chips/dull area on the edge of the blade, there was also a few chips in the aluminum back spacer where it looks like the edge of the blade hit it probably when they were assembling the knife. Ran it across my sharpmaker a few times and its good as new. The main blade grind is also perfect, unlike a para military I had which was pretty uneven.