Manix 2 Mod - Mini Manix

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
KnOeFz

Post by KnOeFz »

Amazing!
I like it alot.
Great work, thanks for sharing.
:spyder: I don't mind going nowhere, as long as it's an interesting path. - Ronald Mabbitt

Post by 1623 »

I really like that.

What's the actual weight differential after the mod?
-Jodi

It's not just in my head, it's in my heart.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Great little (little???) change. :) I love it. Thanks for the pictures holding it. Placing one knife beside another that everyone knows the size of is nice but "in hand" is a far better way to show how the knife fits in a hand. I notices you left the jimping on the bottom of the handle. Did you consider removing it? If so, why did you decide to leave it? I like it being there but it did occurr to me to think of removing it. Either way, great job and I really like the blade.
Stugots-II

Post by Stugots-II »

jackknifeh wrote:Great little (little???) change. :) I love it. Thanks for the pictures holding it. Placing one knife beside another that everyone knows the size of is nice but "in hand" is a far better way to show how the knife fits in a hand. I notices you left the jimping on the bottom of the handle. Did you consider removing it? If so, why did you decide to leave it? I like it being there but it did occurr to me to think of removing it. Either way, great job and I really like the blade.
Yes I sort of considered and still do consider removing the jimping. My thought to start with was to leave it cause once it was gone, it is gone. I have also been thinking of making another pair of handles and recessing the liners. If that were the case I could leave the jimping and just have the handle around it. I just don't know. It would look more clean though if I did remove it.

Also I will have to weigh it after the mod, didn't do the starting weight but I guess I can go by Spyderco's.
Blade and Flame

Post by Blade and Flame »

Super cool mod. Would love to see a smaller Spyderco like this.
Stugots-II

Post by Stugots-II »

1623 wrote:I really like that.

What's the actual weight differential after the mod?
Well according to the catalog the original weighs 147g or 5.2oz. and my modded one came in at 114g or 4.032oz. I also weighed my orange S30V sprint with FFG blade and that was 118g or 4.16oz. So there are some pretty good weight savings in the blade. I could also do a bit more milling in the liners to shave some more weight off.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Stugots-II wrote:Well according to the catalog the original weighs 147g or 5.2oz. and my modded one came in at 114g or 4.032oz. I also weighed my orange S30V sprint with FFG blade and that was 118g or 4.16oz. So there are some pretty good weight savings in the blade. I could also do a bit more milling in the liners to shave some more weight off.
It's your knife of course, but you've done great so far. As you mentioned about the jimping "once it's gone it's gone", I hope you don't remove enough to the point you don't like the knife any more. Most of the people who feel the need to change already great things ( :) ), me included, have gotten excited on given projects and gone too far. The changes you've made have actually created a new knife IMO and one that needs no more changes. Just my opinion of course and we all know what that's worth. :)
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I think it looks like the Big Mutant Brother of the Dragonfly2.

Great job, Stugots!

TedP
ljg

Post by ljg »

That looks fantastic!

I always wanted a Manix, but I'm a Techno/Dragonfly sized knife man.
Your mod would be perfect!
jon1all

Post by jon1all »

HOLY CRAP that is freaking cool!!! Spyderco needs to build that!!!! I would buy one in a minute!!!
Apparently, arachnophobia is not a condition from which I suffer.... :spyder:
------
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." (oops!)
--Thomas Jefferson
PLEASE VISIT MY BLOG >>>1all's Pub<<<
c.joe

Post by c.joe »

Had no idea you can do that! Great work!
Kev83

Post by Kev83 »

Micro manix! Very cool mod brother! The workmanship looks great!
deep6

Post by deep6 »

I have been thinking how cool it would be for Spyderco to offer a "mini Manix" version, and now....there it is.
PARATOM

Post by PARATOM »

deep6 wrote:I have been thinking how cool it would be for Spyderco to offer a "mini Manix" version, and now....there it is.
+1 on this. I think it would be a pretty big hit, i dont know about tooling cost or new item costs but it seems like this would appeal to a big market (since the manix already does)

I would like to see something like this in production that doesnt have a price tag of the Techno
[LEFT]Para 2 digi cam/DLC | Tenacious PE | Sage 1 | Delica 4 FFG | Manix 2 | Dragonfly 2 H1 | Yojimbo 2 | SmallFly digi cam R | Citadel DLC R[/LEFT]
There are two kinds of people in this world, you're either somebody or nobody...
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

That looks great. It reminds of how the Ukpk was shortened on either end to become the squeak. This knife looks spectacular, great work.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram