Year of the Giveaway - March

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Niles

Year of the Giveaway - March

Post by Niles »

Hello All,

Tvenuto started a thread with the idea of having a giveaway every month this year. I was the winner of his giveaway, so I'm doing March.

Up for grabs is a used but in great condition Spyderco Native III:

To enter just post below telling us what your favorite steel is and why (or if you don't know/care just post up an "I'm in"), and your post number will be your entry number. I will use Random.org to pick a number on the 31st of this month.

Though not a requirement to enter, it'd be awesome that if you win, you agree to host the giveaway for April and continue what Tvenuto has started.

Thanks to all, and good luck!
Do no harm. Do know harm.
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

I'm in. I like Super blue because is its closeness to the historical steels of Japan.
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
gijoe945

Post by gijoe945 »

I'm in. I like vg-10 because it is the best all around steel for the money.
mrphotoman

Post by mrphotoman »

I'm in. I am not sure what my favorite steel is but from what I have read so far I think the ZDP-189. Thanks!
kromo

Post by kromo »

i'm in, of course.
Favorite steel? vg-10.
but i like the super blue too
impulse2010

Post by impulse2010 »

I'M In.

And so far my favorite out of my 2 spyderco's is the vg10. Seems to keep a good edge and i have been wanting to try sv30 steel. Hopefully soon.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Great giveaway! But please don't include me (I've already won 3 knives in the last 3 months).

My all around favorite steel is probably VG-10.
:bug-red-white
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Thanks for the giveaway. Paying it forward I will pass my entry onto the next poster. My favorite steels are CPM-D2 and CTS-XHP. I love the edge retention and they take a nice polish.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

I am in! My favorite steel is CTS-20CP because it just keeps cutting and cutting and cutting. Sharpens extremely easy for its edge holding ability.
Current :spyder: : Para2's Brown, Blue & Orange, Etched Spin, CF Caly3 ZDP189, Gayle Bradley, UKPK Orange G10, Manix2 M4, Sage 1, Caly 3.5 in Super Blue, Urban Orange G10
Holland

Post by Holland »

Thanks for the giveaway!

My favourite used to be superblue, but m390 has taken over! Holds its edge like a champ, and i really like that the edge rolls instead of chips
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
BadFish

Post by BadFish »

I'm in. My favorite steel would be h1. I fish and live on Lake Michigan perfect steel.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I'm in. Just starting to sharpen so I don't have a favourite steel yet. Great contest, good on you for paying it forward!
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
BigBill5953

Post by BigBill5953 »

Thanks for the giveaway! My favorite steel would have to be VG-10. It can take an edge really quick and holds it for a decent amount of time.
-Billy

Centofante 3|Brown FFG Delica 4|Persistence|Sharpmaker & UF rods|SS Kiwi|Manbug SE|Blue UKPK SE Leaf|Calypso Jr. FRN|Blue Dodo SE|Centofante 3|Grasshopper|Tan Ladybug Salt|Rookie Sprint|

bammann45 wrote:In Los Angeles we have roaming packs of carnivorous tortoises. I am glad we finally have a folder that can punch through their shells.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I'm in. My favorite steel is ZDP-189. It's the only real premium steel I've used extensively, beyond the generica german steels of Henckels and Wustof, or Victorinox's steel. Holds an edge like crazy, and is easy enough to sharpen.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

Im in. My favorite steal is when indiana jones trades the bag of sand for the gold idol.
"...is cabbage a better blue than cars that sing?" C.S.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Thanks for keeping the ball rolling Niles! Don't enter me in this giveaway, but my current favorite is VG-10 for its all-around utility and ease of sharpening. I'm just starting to play with CTS-204P, and haven't had to sharpen it yet, so that might be next up.
notos&w

Post by notos&w »

I'm in. I like ZDP/420J2 b/c I think the blending line looks cool and ZDP is a top notch steel.
pdptrow

Post by pdptrow »

I'm in. I like CTS-XHP on my Manix2. It is my main use folder which I was able to sharpen it very well and it cuts for long time.
Paul
:spyder: Sage1, Stretch II CE-sold, S35VN Mule,Manix 2 CTS-XHP, Delica BRG ZDP-189 PE, Manix 2 CPM M4, Para 2 CTS-20CP :), M390 Mule, #Southard Flipper, Left Hand Millie, Para 2 204P :D, Delica Super blue
It is a mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -Aristotle
prisoner6

Post by prisoner6 »

I'm in. I like VG-10, but am warming to S30V of late. Just feels a little better to me. Would like to try the S35 on the Native 5 as well.
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

My favourite knife steel is CPM S30V
thanks
It's better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6