Hard use spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
iyn

Hard use spyderco

Post by iyn »

What spyderco would you consider as "hard use"?
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

Pretty much any of their fixed blades.

Most of the folders will hold up to more rugged use than you would think. It will just wear more quickly.
Holland

Post by Holland »

define hard use...
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

For my used pretty much the whole collection. Probably not the Des Horn or slipits.

For most other definitions: Bradley Folder, Tuff, Lionspy, Mili, Para2, Manix2, Superleaf, etc.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

iyn wrote:What spyderco would you consider as "hard use"?
If you're just considering folders, I'd suggest the Chinook (I, II, III), Lil' Temperance, ATR or any of the newer models mentioned above by Blerv.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
iyn

Post by iyn »

In a bug out situation I may only be able to carry a folder. What do I take? I've carrying spydercos based on light weight and not on strength.
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

Are you asking if the folders can be considered hard use ?.
I'd say without a doubt , however many people take expectations of hard use to unreasonable requirements.
Eg battoning is not something a folder IMO should be expected to do , wether marketed as hard use or otherwise .
Fixed blades yes a temperance a rock , a hossom however cutting hemp rope is considered to be taxing on a blade in terms of longevity if edge retention.
There is a YouTube video of a guy cutting through serious lengths of rope with a tenacious so I'd say that's hard use .
It comes down to what your criteria is some may fit the bill better than others , do spyderco make light folders relative to strong cutting performance ?.
Most definitely :) .
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

What one person would consider hard use another may call abuse. So if you could list what you think you may be using the knife for it would help people answer based on individual experience.

One thing that doesn't get mentioned too often in "hard use folder" discussions is using the knife at tougher jobs consistantly. We've seen videos of an Endura cutting down a 4" in diameter tree. Of course this is not the best tool for the job but it did get the job done. So, if hou HAD to get the tree down and didn't have a hatchet, ax or saw the Endura would work. But, how many trees will it chop down before the knife would develope a lot of blade play. I feel once you are using a folder to the point that significant blade play occurrs you are using the knife "harder" than it will reasonably handle. Anyway, Spyderco has several knives that will take quite a bit of hard use (by my hard use standards). Blerv mentioned several. For what I've used the Manix2 stands out. Also, the Bradley folder is a VERY sturdy folder. Both are tough and if you seriously damage one of these you have definately done tasks qualifying as "abusing a folder". Having said all that, if you really need a hard use knife get a fixed blade. If you find you can carry one that is.

Jack
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

A Pac Salt would serve you well.
DigitalUrbanCamo

Post by DigitalUrbanCamo »

iyn wrote:In a bug out situation I may only be able to carry a folder. What do I take? I've carrying spydercos based on light weight and not on strength.
Spyderco Manix 2 Translucent Black :D

Although I would not recommend just going with a folder. Get yourself a fixed blade.
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

iyn wrote:In a bug out situation I may only be able to carry a folder. What do I take? I've carrying spydercos based on light weight and not on strength.
Based on that I'd go for a Military, Para2 or Pacific Salt (if you bug out on the ocean)
KnOeFz

Post by KnOeFz »

Tuff, Superleaf, Manix XL come to mind as hard use folders.
:spyder: I don't mind going nowhere, as long as it's an interesting path. - Ronald Mabbitt
araneae

Post by araneae »

That's pretty subjective.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

The problem that consistently recurs in these conversations is a semantic one. The phrase "hard use" has no single clearly defined meaning. One result of this is that well intentioned contributors to the thread often end up talking past one another. The best way to get knowledgeable opinions on a topic like this is to describe what YOU intend to do with a knife and describe your style of doing that set of tasks. Abstractions like "hard use" sound great until you analyze the meaning and realize that it fails to define anything clearly.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Bill1170 wrote:Abstractions like "hard use" sound great until you analyze the meaning and realize that it fails to define anything clearly.
Very true. Much like assault weapon, a term that constantly confuses me. I could "assault" someone with my NAA micro revolver ;)

Better to list specifications or tasks.

Ken
玉鋼
LC Kid

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Folks!

When I hear 'Hard Use' my brain immediately recalls a Fixed Blade.
:D
Stay Sharp!
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

Gayle Bradley
There is much to be learned from one who never speaks
BAL

Post by BAL »

To me, the Tuff is about as hard use as you can get. It is a tank.
I haven't had a chance to really work it hard yet, but it has cut
any and everything that I have used it for and I can't find any
"use marks" on it. The Tuff is a beast.
JD Spydo

Most Spyders Can Take Hard Use

Post by JD Spydo »

This is kind of redundant in a way because there is also a thread recently about "Beater Spyders" as well. But to me "hard use" would simply be using one or more particular models a lot more than you usually would use any given model. I hope that's what the author of this thread sort of had in mind :)

Because if that's the case I would have to put my C-44 Dyad in the folder category along with my Temperance 1 model in the fixed blade category. I've used both models a lot when I carry both of them.

The great thing about most Spyderco models ( NOT BYRD) is that they are built well enough to take hard abuse while doing your designated cutting chores.

In the fixed blade arena I would have to also include the Streat Beat model. Also in the folder section I would have to include my C-60 Ayoob Sprint model. Both of those models have shown me that they can take almost endless hard use.

I guess a good way to answer this thread is to say "Which Spyderco Model Couldn't Handle Hard Use?" There aren't very many I wouldn't hesitate to use on a demanding job.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!