Stretch Lightweight or Manix 2 translucent blue

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
zippofanatic

Stretch Lightweight or Manix 2 translucent blue

Post by zippofanatic »

Which do you prefer?
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Stretch! Hands down. The Manix has a nifty lock, but I prefer the back lock. I also prefer the blade, available steel, handle material, and ergonomics of the Stretch. I would like to try out a Manix XL sometime.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Holland

Post by Holland »

really depends on what you plan to use it for
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
APS

Post by APS »

I prefer the deaper choil and wire clip of the Manix Lightweight but the size, steel and lock of the Stretch.
Adam
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

Manix....but I've never handled a Stretch. I do, however, think the Manix Ltwt is just about perfect...
My Spydies: Sharpmaker • Tasman Salt • Saver Salt • Ladybug Hawkbill Salt • Salt 1 • Blue/Gray Meerkat • Burgundy Meerkat • Manix2 Ltwt Translucent Blue • Manix2 Ltwt Blacked Out • Manix2 Backlock • Ladybug 1 Red • Blue UKPK • Tusk • Blue Lava • Dog Tag • Bug • Honeybee • Grasshopper • Stepped Ti Chaparral • McBee • AEB-L Urban
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

The FRN Stretch is a winner. I would find the SE version as well.

Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Do you prefer choil oriented grips over standard ones?
Tank

Post by Tank »

Tuff question,, just got the blue lightweight manix and love it but the stretch is also great,,, seems like the best thing to do is get both :D
-John
zippofanatic

Post by zippofanatic »

Tank wrote:Tuff question,, just got the blue lightweight manix and love it but the stretch is also great,,, seems like the best thing to do is get both :D
haha that seems to be the answer to all which do you prefer questions!
Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger »

Close call, but I would give the edge to the Stretch.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I'd go for the Stretch. IMHO, it's the better slicer of the two and its handle fits my hand comfortably both in the normal and choked up positions while the extra finger separator on the Manix allows less flexibility of hand position and makes its grip less comfortable for me. Plus, I'm not totally convinced that FRCP is as good a handle material as FRN in terms of impact and crush resistance.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I think I like the Stretch better if I had to choose. I have owned and used both. Well, not the lightweight Manix2 but a couple of the other versions. I have a feeling the lightweight Manix2 may not be as "tough" as the other Manix2s but I'm not sure. Both fit my hand like I had held my hand like a loose fist and the knife was molded to fit inside my grip. Great ergos on both. The locks are very different when it comes to use but both are easy and very reliable. For EDC I think the Stretch fits my needs better. Some have said and others will say "get both". This is sort of a joke but in all seriousness that is the only way you will know which you like more. I have bought lots of knives and sold quite a few based only on which ones do I pick up to carry. This means I have sold GREAT knives just because I have found that when I put one in my pocket it was something else. You, on the other hand, if you had the same set of knives I had or have may choose to carry something else. Spyderco provides such a wide variety of knives to choose from that they have something that will fit into about anyone's "likes". It does make it hard to make a selection though. This makes it more fun though.

I'm sure my post is of no help at all so good luck with your decision knowing no matter which knife you choose you will have a great knife and be happy with it I'm sure.
Kev83

Post by Kev83 »

Both great knives! I'd say the manix 2 though
araneae

Post by araneae »

Stretch. Both are great knives.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
avocadobbq

Post by avocadobbq »

I would get the Manix ltwt for the weight and the wire clip.

However, the Stretch would feel more rigid, has better steel and takes up less pocket space.
iyn

Post by iyn »

Stretch 2.
VictorLouis

Post by VictorLouis »

jackknifeh wrote:I think I like the Stretch better if I had to choose. I have owned and used both. .. Great ergos on both. The locks are very different when it comes to use but both are easy and very reliable. For EDC I think the Stretch fits my needs better. .. ..
Ditto. I re-homed the M2LW because it just didn't out-do my Stretch. It's thicker side-to-side in the scales, and from spine to back-spacer in the closed position. Longer in the closed position, too, and thus bulkier in the pocket. It has less edge than the S2, and the width of the tip is just not as user-friendly, IMHO, by comparison.

What really struck me to is how much I value the 'hump' necessitated by the Hole on so many models. Combined with the jimping, it really lets you exert some forward oomph when you want it. There's just not enough 'ramp' there to do so with the M2.

I'd be completely confident in the lock, but it's just not as familiar and friendly to me as the back-lock. YMMV.

Now then, if had purchased the M2 first without ever handling a Stretch, I'm sure I'd be quite pleased. Just use caution if you ever get the chance to fondle a Stretch! :)
Stretch VG10 FRN, Caly Jr. VG10 FRN.
AKWolf

Post by AKWolf »

I just ordered translucent blue Manix2 r2, apparently they are now shipping with a torx pivot pin . I love the Stretch ,ergos and blade shape. It's a tough knife to replace for EDC.
9 er's.....

Latest :spyder:s...C173G, SC90FPGYE, C81GPGR2...
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

VictorLouis wrote:Ditto. I re-homed the M2LW because it just didn't out-do my Stretch. It's thicker side-to-side in the scales, and from spine to back-spacer in the closed position. Longer in the closed position, too, and thus bulkier in the pocket. It has less edge than the S2, and the width of the tip is just not as user-friendly, IMHO, by comparison.

What really struck me to is how much I value the 'hump' necessitated by the Hole on so many models. Combined with the jimping, it really lets you exert some forward oomph when you want it. There's just not enough 'ramp' there to do so with the M2.

I'd be completely confident in the lock, but it's just not as familiar and friendly to me as the back-lock. YMMV.

Now then, if had purchased the M2 first without ever handling a Stretch, I'm sure I'd be quite pleased. Just use caution if you ever get the chance to fondle a Stretch! :)

Your last statement couldn't be more true. I don't know how many times I've bought a Spyderco and thought "the grip, comfort and usefullness of this knife just can't be beat". Later I'd get another knife that was as good or better IMO. Of course my opinion of any given set of knives will differ from others based on hand size or preferrence. Got to take my hat off (if I wore hats :) ) to Spyderco for making such a wide variety of great knives. No one likes every knife I'm sure but I bet there is at least a couple Spyderco's that anyone would like.