Double let down at the knife shop

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Double let down at the knife shop

Post by Evil D »

I was pretty excited today, my knife shop guy had two new models in that I haven't handled yet, one of which I had planned on buying.

1. The Dialex Junior. Like a lot of colab knives, I have a feeling this one won't be around a long time so I decided to order one and handle it to see if I liked it. And, I didn't. It isn't because of the design...the thing is just too small for my hand. The design is AWESOME, but needs scaled up to the point that the handle is Para 2 sized...then it would be incredible. I can definitely see the "junior" thought behind it, the size would be perfect for my 10 year old.

2. The Lionspy. I didn't expect to see this one today. In fact it wasn't even in the Spyderco case, it was in another random display. This isn't a knife I even had on my radar, but there's a good bit of hype surrounded it so I was excited to get it in my hands...until I realized, this is NOT a Spyderco knife. It has a round hole, but to me that was about the only Spyderco trait on the entire knife. Don't get me wrong, it was obviously an exceptionally nice knife, and it did feel good in my hand, and if the thing wasn't $312 I might have bought it despite the fact that I don't really care for steep up swept blades like that.

So...you never really know until you hold a knife in your hand in person. I didn't think I'd like the Vallotton....fell in love the first time I opened it. I was so sure I would like the Junior, but it's just too small for me. The Lionspy, while obviously a badass beefy tank of a knife, is just not my style. Oh well, win some lose some.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

Well, look at it this way -- you saved yourself some money, so you can spend it on a different Spydie :) . I've never held either of those two models either. Reading the specs on a knife's dimensions just isn't the same as holding it in your hand. And certainly, different features appeal to different users. Nice that Spyderco produces lots of different models, something in the line for everyone's needs.

I decided to carry my C143G large Chinese Lum today. I don't see a lot of comments about that knife here. It doesn't have a sharp point compared to say, a Military, wouldn't be a good self-defense knife, but something about it just brings a smile to my face when I hold it. Makes me want to slice up some cucumbers or something :) . I guess the height of the blade reminds me of kitchen knives. But it is very comfortable in my hand.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I actually prefer to have the least amount of handle necessary to get a solid/full grip, but my pinky was falling off the butt of the Junior. The Lionspy was a gorgeous knife, just too expensive for something that isn't my taste. I can't really say anything bad about either knife though. I would love to see a larger version of the Junior.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Evil D wrote:I actually prefer to have the least amount of handle necessary to get a solid/full grip, but my pinky was falling off the butt of the Junior. The Lionspy was a gorgeous knife, just too expensive for something that isn't my taste. I can't really say anything bad about either knife though. I would love to see a larger version of the Junior.
Yes there is know better way to know than to handle the knife, something that happens all too rarely for me. I love the Millie, but I can't do it's just too big and has too much handle for me, feels like I have a ruler in my pocket. Same thing with most ZT's, I love the design, the quality and the value you get int the ZT300 but the whole proportion is out of whack for me too wide, too thick, too heavy, too everything.
PGeo00

Post by PGeo00 »

It's always good to handle these things before you buy 'em. I've purchased plenty of knives and other things only to flip them. So... I think you did good.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I enjoy my Lionspy a lot. It does take up quite a bit of pocket space, though.

It really is one of a kind.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Evil D wrote:I actually prefer to have the least amount of handle necessary to get a solid/full grip, but my pinky was falling off the butt of the Junior.
It's a knife designed for children. At least you can take comfort in knowing the children of Romania aren't 7' tall at age 12. :D
JLS

Post by JLS »

Blerv wrote:It's a knife designed for children. At least you can take comfort in knowing the children of Romania aren't 7' tall at age 12. :D
I'm told I act like a child at times, so maybe that's why the Junior works for me! I can't say I've noticed any issues with the handle size and I wear a size 10 glove. I will admit that it's never my only knife either; it's always a secondary carry for me.

Evil D, it's funny how reality can change our perceptions. I picked up a used Junior at a good price and didn't really expect to like it. I generally prefer much larger handles like the Military and I don't like wire clips or tip-up placement...usually. I gave the Junior a try once I got it and found that I really like it. It's my standard lefty folder while lounging around the house when I don't have a Mule on my belt. I absolutely love the blade (once I modded it into a clip point anyway) and perhaps that allows me to overlook some things. But overall, it just works for me.

It's nice that Spyderco offers so many styles for us to try and be happy with. I know a guy who carried a Calypso Jr happily for many years and is now more happy with a Tenacious. I think he's crazy, but to each his own.
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Lol! It seems about Caly3 and Persian 79mm sized. If so, those tend to work for reasonably large mitts. Can't wait to try one :) .
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

You are lucky to be able to handle the knife prior to buying. For me, being in the niche group of customers who have to depend on online sellers, it can have very bad repercussions. I mean, I see a knife, I like it - the photos I mean and I uy it to discover that it was not what I was expecting.

In a way, I am lucky also since now I hae to be picky, ask questions on the forum and view too many knife vids on youtube before making a single purchase. My wallet is slightly better off :)
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
BAL

Post by BAL »

Its funny, I NEVER buy any tools, guns or waht-not unless I handle them first.
EXCEPT for Spyderco knives. There is no brick and mortor anywhere near me
to handle them. This might be a good thing

We went by the SFO in Golden on vacation once and I ran Rachel ragged, handing
me knive after knife just to hold. I told her that I didn;t want to buy it, I just
wanted to "hold" it. She just smiled and got the knife out of the case.

After I hae prdered one , there hae been a few that I hae been surprised by when
I received it. A few I have had to make a few modifications to. That's where the
dremel has been a valuable tool.