A look at the Calypso Sprint

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MountainManJim

Post by MountainManJim »

Amazing review. Nice work. Very professional. Excellent photos.

Please never review another knife 'cause now I want, need a Calypso ;)

Jim
I Like Sharp Things

Current Favorite: Caly 3.5, Super Blue. We're done here. It doesn't get better than the Caly 3.5
Pomelly

Post by Pomelly »

Fantastic review, and great knife! I'm trying to buy one :)
41Mag

Post by 41Mag »

I don't own one but after that fantastic review I guess i will be getting a package in the mail soon!
Tristan_david2001

Re: A look at the Calypso Sprint

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

I love this thread. I hope if they ever decide to remake it they change one thing about it, go back to a thicker and more nicely chamfered edged handle made of linen micarta. I love the g10 version of the model, but I just think it’s a little too thin and squared off to do any kinds of harder use work knife things without those corners digging in uncomfortably. Other than that it’s a perfect design for ease of carry to versatility of use ratios.
:bug-red-white
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:48 am
I love this thread...
Thanks for reviving this thread. This knife was before my time here on the forum, so it is always fun to go back and see some new-to-me knives.
Tristan_david2001

p_atrick wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:08 am
Tristan_david2001 wrote:
I love this thread...
Thanks for reviving this thread. This knife was before my time here on the forum, so it is always fun to go back and see some new-to-me knives.
Glad you liked checking it out, some great photos of the Caly in this review, especially the shot of the 13degree mirror profile on the blade. Whew.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Thanks for the thread bump, had not seen this. What an amazing design.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I recall reading this review when it came out.

I do believe it factored into my decision to grab this sprint if ever it showed up on the secondary market. It finally did, thanks to a forum member. Now I also have an original C54. What a genius knife! Like most other Spydies, it could be my one and only folder.

Wouldn’t it be nice if this review became a template for discussing other models? Being too distracted, I won’t be doing one, which I freely admit here just to highlight how truly exceptional I consider the review to be.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have the brown sprint and enjoy it. One of my biggest regrets in this hobby was not buying one of the micarta versions years ago when they were still all over EBay for reasonable prices.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Netherend

Post by Netherend »

Great looking piece . I need to add the Caly to my wishlist
Just one more knife...
Tristan_david2001

wrdwrght wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:18 am
Now I also have an original C54. What a genius knife! Like most other Spydies, it could be my one and only folder.
Oh do I envy you. The original c54 is my favorite folding knife bar none. I will own one someday. If I could only own 1 single pocket knife. That would be it.
Stas

Post by Stas »

Thanks for reminding me about the most gorgeous Spyderco in my opinion! I got into this hobby a bit late, so I'm eagerly awaiting a sprint run. 🤞🏼
Recent favourites: Massad Ayoob CPM CRU-WEAR PE & SE, Yojimbo 2, Lil' Temperance 3.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
I love this thread. I hope if they ever decide to remake it they change one thing about it, go back to a thicker and more nicely chamfered edged handle made of linen micarta. I love the g10 version of the model, but I just think it’s a little too thin and squared off to do any kinds of harder use work knife things without those corners digging in uncomfortably. Other than that it’s a perfect design for ease of carry to versatility of use ratios.
The thinness is definitely part of the appeal here, and as my folding knives spend most of their time in pocket and hardly ever see hard use, I wouldn't mind if they made another one based on the same recipe.
I also like micarta. It's more nicer, which shouldn't matter but... you know. Either way they'll probably have my money
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

Isn't the cruwear Stretch the same knife just with a straight spine and jimping?
- Richard
bearfacedkiller

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

riclaw wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:36 pm
Isn't the cruwear Stretch the same knife just with a straight spine and jimping?
It’s a much slimmer knife with a different blade shape. It compares better with the Chief which may be the better knife.
-Darby
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:44 pm
riclaw wrote:
It’s a much slimmer knife with a different blade shape. It compares better with the Chief which may be the better knife.
??
Did I read that wrong?

The Chief is noticeably thicker than the Cruwear S2XL
Stas

Post by Stas »

riclaw wrote:
Totally not because I've got one and I'm still craving Calypso.
Recent favourites: Massad Ayoob CPM CRU-WEAR PE & SE, Yojimbo 2, Lil' Temperance 3.
Tristan_david2001

Sharpened up mine earlier. Last time I sharpened it I believe it was either 20 or 17degrees per side, about 2 and half ish months ago. Considering how much I use this as a daily edc I was surprised how well the edge lasted for, before sharpening today it could still somewhat slice paper, there was some rough spots but it could definitely still keep going and being used for edc stuff, vg-10 is just fine. I reprofiled the edge down to 15dps, up to 1000 grit stone on the tsprof. She is scary sharp and I’m very much happy
Attachments
IMG_2818.jpeg
IMG_2819.jpeg
IMG_2820.jpeg
Tristan_david2001

aicolainen wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:27 pm
Tristan_david2001 wrote:
The thinness is definitely part of the appeal here, and as my folding knives spend most of their time in pocket and hardly ever see hard use, I wouldn't mind if they made another one based on the same recipe.
I also like micarta. It's more nicer, which shouldn't matter but... you know. Either way they'll probably have my money
I think if you gave both of them a squeeze in hand you might appreciate the difference in chamfering on the corners the original run has. At least I know I will. The thinness i don’t have a significant issue with, but combined the thinness of the handle with the really squared off g10, makes it a little blocky and a little uncomfortable in even slightly prolonged regular use. Maybe you don’t find this to be much of a user, but I certainly do, and I think functionally it would just heighten the egronomics of the calys handle shape to have a little more rounding or contouring.