Cts-204p Green Paramilitary?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

Spook410 wrote:Got a Southard

Also, saying "well just call up and cancel your order if you don't like it" is just rude and stupid. Not only are deposits non-refundable, but you might as well sell them at a profit if they ever do come in. Given the long wait and nothing else comparable in the Para world on the horizon, these may do well on the secondary market.
Whats even more "stupid" is that you ordered the knife knowing that "deposits are non-refundable" and knowing the delivery date was never guaranteed from the start. I've also got 2 on order but don't expect any explanations...unlike you I read the fine print and agreed to and understood the terms of the contract before ordering..

I've got 2 Militarys, a Sage 1, a BRG ZDP Delica 4 and a M390 Blue Para 2..I'd say my cutting chores are well taken care of..I'll survive with those 5 knives till the 2 green paras get here.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I've waited longer, invested more, and been less impressed with other things. $20 down on a knife to guarantee I get it seems like a decent deal.

I put nothing down on an orange Dodo, waited 6 months and they finally emailed to say they weren't going to have enough. :p
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Philo Beddoe wrote:Whats even more "stupid" is that you ordered the knife knowing that "deposits are non-refundable" and knowing the delivery date was never guaranteed from the start. I've also got 2 on order but don't expect any explanations...unlike you I read the fine print and agreed to and understood the terms of the contract before ordering..

I've got 2 Militarys, a Sage 1, a BRG ZDP Delica 4 and a M390 Blue Para 2..I'd say my cutting chores are well taken care of..I'll survive with those 4 knives till the 2 green paras get here.

Whether you do or not doesn't mean others can't request for explanations or updates. I myself would like an explanation not because I feel I'm owed one but because I'm genuinely curious about the knife industry. The fact that I'd be quite pleased at knowing what's going on does not mean I'm not waiting for it. BTW, I've paid for mine.
CXXX

Post by CXXX »

JNewell wrote:Interesting question, though? :) The Southard came from Taichung rather than Golden, home of the Mules and the Para2. Of course, Ted, you could solve your problem by buying a Southard??? :D
Not much assembly for the Mule Teams!
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

Let's keep it nice, no need to call anyone's actions "stupid". If I compare this preorder to some I've made through another dealer, the other dealer required no money down, but frequently accepted more orders than they could fulfill. I'd get a weekly email "we are still waiting for your backordered items" but no real update on when it might come in, don't know if that is any better than not hearing anything.

I'm sure KnifeWorks didn't know how long the wait would be when they started accepting preorders, sometimes delays happen in manufacturing. Would it be nice to have an update? Sure, but maybe they still don't have a definite date -- would it be any help for them to send an email saying "we still don't know when they'll get here" or worse yet, estimate xx months and then have people complain when that date passes. There could have been some issues with production that Spyderco may not want to share with the public.

KW haven't yet started accepting preorders for their CF/S90V Yojimbo and Manix, so I'm sure they aren't intentionally aiming for accepting money too far in advance before the knives ship.

I'll be as excited as anybody when the knives actually ship, (and the pain of the waiting will be forgotten) but I don't think it helps anything to grumble about the wait either. I've been pretty happy with all of my other orders I have placed with KW. I still really like my CF/M390 millie, and no longer remember how long the wait was for that :) .
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Blerv wrote:...I put nothing down on an orange Dodo, waited 6 months and they finally emailed to say they weren't going to have enough. :p
This happened to me also. I would like an update if they have something to say, otherwise I will continue to patiently wait. I see no need to complain, nor would it do any good.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Donut

Post by Donut »

It looks like I've been stupid all this time! :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Spook410

Post by Spook410 »

We all knew that the deposits were non-refundable and that the delivery date was somewhat less than a contractual commitment. Of course, nobody expected the delivery to slip a year. Whether you feel you are owed an update on this purchase based on reasonable customer service practices or you're just curious, that's fine. If someone else doesn't care or doesn't feel they are owed this, that's fine too. Bottom line, wanting to know what's going on with these knives is perfectly reasonable.

I suppose given how this order has gone, a more interesting question might be whether or not you would place an order for a Dealer Exclusive in the future. I'm guessing most of the regulars in the forum would but I think I would hesitate to do this again.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

^^^
I would. The grass is always greener... I'm on the opposite end, the guy who missed the preorder on the green para2's. Guys that are complaining, might I remind you that you are in a much better position than I am and probably thousands of others like me. I'll tell you this much, no more missed Para2 pre-orders for me... It is also perfectly reasonable to drop your pre-order and pass it along to someone on the wait list if you can't tolerate the delay. :p And what about the down payment??? If the very principle of the delay bothers you so much then vote with your wallet, don't buy the knives and overcome the minor monetary loss to prove your genuine discontent... if not and will promptly pay for the knives when KW tells you it is available anyway, then it's just all talk.

Sal's very open with us with many things, more so than any rep for any company that I know let alone - owner. If he and Spyderco wishes to keep this one close to the chest, I'm gonna respect it, he's earned that at least with me.

Perhaps KW announced the knife way too soon, they don't even have an actual prototype pic on their site to this day, just a photoshopped green Para2. KW is one of my "go to's" but I've seen them announce knives too early, recently it was the ShotShow Grip that BM didn't intend to announce until the SHOT event... How about the s90v sprints that are scheduled for Q4 this year? It's been on their site since Q3 last year. Whatever the causes are, is it that difficult to just relax, and be content with the fact that it will come to your lap and not have to be on a frantic hunt like the rest of us... If you really can't live without a Green Para2 maybe get a Grey Para2 and RitDye that sucker and put an M390 on it to carry you through :D .

Fellows upset at having two pre-ordered... But already making assumptions about the secondary market for schlubs like me...
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I believe Spyderco allows the company that ordered to release all info, dates, etc.
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Yeah which is sometimes very vague like "in the works", or "coming this year". My assumption of KW announcing it a little early is just that, an assumption on my part, who knows. It's the only other thing I can observe outside of the bad CTS204p batch factoid. The lack of a release date as you know is done for various reasons. One of them is it helps prevent people from having a fit when the date is moved. Things happen sometimes and delays when problems occur cannot be avoided.
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

rodloos wrote:Let's keep it nice, no need to call anyone's actions "stupid".
Agreed 100%. This is never appropriate or welcome on this forum.
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

I think what is being missed here is the capacity crunch that has been plaguing the Golden factory for a while now. That is being addressed but will continue for some time to come.

When the steel had an issue that caused delays, then they had to wait for a new batch of steel. In the meantime, scheduling of production to keep employees working and turning out other models being screamed for by voracious ELUs had to be managed. The crux now is getting the KW exclusive back into that production schedule after it had to be pulled at least once from that lineup.

Personally, I'm waiting and not concerned whether or not I get updates. I'll get it when it is available. In the meantime, there's other models to satiate my hobby and empty my wallet. :D
"All your :spyder: are belong to us."
** WTC # 1032 1533 **
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

I don't mind waiting and will not repeat my comments about good customer service including periodic communications.

As a point of information, when I ordered mine Spyderco showed estimated shipping in June 2012. Shortly after it was changed to July 2012. I haven't looked since then.

Whenever it comes I'll be happy to have it.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
God'sMyJudge

Post by God'sMyJudge »

let's have a voluntary moratorium on this topic until someone gets a shipping notice.