KnifeCrazyEric joins the Community!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

KnifeCrazyEric wrote:What kind of Acid to use? what's easy to make/acquire?
i want nice etching marks on a stainless steel handle. would go cool with the black blade i think..

i read something about etchign with mustard the other day but how is that done?
You can use vasaline to create a negative image of the pattern you want and then use ferric chloride to etch the steel that isn't covered. You can get ferric chloride at Radio Shack.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
KnifeCrazyEric

Post by KnifeCrazyEric »

Evil D wrote:You can use vasaline to create a negative image of the pattern you want and then use ferric chloride to etch the steel that isn't covered. You can get ferric chloride at Radio Shack.
And if i'm in germany? at what kind of store would i get it?
Current EDC : :spyder: Tenacious (Black)
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

KnifeCrazyEric wrote:And if i'm in germany? at what kind of store would i get it?
Dude, your going to have to consult the internet on this one. I know there are hobby and hardware stores in Germany that would know. Probably even companies that supply products or people who make cutlery.

We can give suggestions but finding the stuff, buying it, and your ability to produce anything worthwhile is on your shoulders.

If you earnestly want answers I'm sorry for the harsh demeanor. If you are trolling us then bravo.
KnifeCrazyEric

Post by KnifeCrazyEric »

Blerv wrote:Dude, your going to have to consult the internet on this one. I know there are hobby and hardware stores in Germany that would know. Probably even companies that supply products or people who make cutlery.

We can give suggestions but finding the stuff, buying it, and your ability to produce anything worthwhile is on your shoulders.

If you earnestly want answers I'm sorry for the harsh demeanor. If you are trolling us then bravo.
i'm not trolling that's why i registered on an official knife forum. to hear professional opinions
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

Welcome to the Forum.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Ferric chloride is used to etch PCB (printed circuit board). You can check shops that sells electronics component & tools.

Check youtube by srjoben. He did etching on some blades using it, and the cover he uses is nail polish/paint.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

KnifeCrazyEric wrote:i'm not trolling that's why i registered on an official knife forum. to hear professional opinions
You do seem to be an angry person though...
KnifeCrazyEric

Post by KnifeCrazyEric »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:You do seem to be an angry person though...
i don't mean to seem that way. it might just be the language difference, since i normally am used to speaking german :)

i'm a quite cheerful guy!
Tank

Post by Tank »

Hi Eric, welcome to the forum.. one thing to remember that once you disassemble your knife the Spyderco warranty is void if that matters to you at all.
-John
KnifeCrazyEric

Post by KnifeCrazyEric »

Tank wrote:Hi Eric, welcome to the forum.. one thing to remember that once you disassemble your knife the Spyderco warranty is void if that matters to you at all.
i just want to make my knife unique. :)
KnifeCrazyEric

Post by KnifeCrazyEric »

If i were to acquire SS scales, could i use mustard to put a patina pattern on?
Koen Z

Post by Koen Z »

Eric, Stefan Steigerwald is a German knifemaker with a webshop, he may have the stuff you are looking for

Webshop
Stony

Post by Stony »

Welcome to the forum Eric. As mentioned Ferric Chloride does an excellent job etching steel. I would probably practice up a bit before you jump in on your knife. You can use rubber cement to block out portions of the blade you do not want etched. Probably be best to try and search the Internet for more information or possibly get in contact with some makers near you and maybe ask for ideas? Either way I hope you enjoy the forum.

Ferric Chloride can be purchased at Radio Shack or probably the equivalent.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

KnifeCrazyEric wrote:If i were to acquire SS scales, could i use mustard to put a patina pattern on?
No. "SS" stands for stainless steel, and as such will not form a patina. You can acid etch it (with something like ferric chloride) but that's about it. Even acid etching isn't going to give you anywhere near the same kind of pattern on the steel that you see with a natural non stainless steel patina. It will basically turn the steel a flat gray color and will scratch off rather easy. It's generally used for darkening the steel before applying a stone washed finish. If I were in Germany, I would just Google ferric chloride and see what comes up locally. There has to be an electronics store somewhere.
~David
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

KnifeCrazyEric wrote:i don't mean to seem that way. it might just be the language difference, since i normally am used to speaking german :)

i'm a quite cheerful guy!
I apoligize then. :D

What about just stonewashing the SS scales?
Holland

Post by Holland »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:I apoligize then. :D

What about just stonewashing the SS scales?
+1
beat me to it...
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
KnifeCrazyEric

Post by KnifeCrazyEric »

Holland wrote:+1
beat me to it...
Could i cover the spots i do not want to hit before the stonewash?

because i thought about a tiger-stripe grip.

also, is there any way to "wave-mod" my coated blade without messing it up?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

KnifeCrazyEric wrote:Could i cover the spots i do not want to hit before the stonewash?

because i thought about a tiger-stripe grip.

also, is there any way to "wave-mod" my coated blade without messing it up?
Only with a zip tie.
~David