Vacation knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I would recommend either the Manix 2 lightweight or the Dragonfly Salt.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

DragonFly!

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

rodloos wrote:Heresy! Ban him! :D :) I didn't even know it was possible to only wear one knife at a time! :)

I didn't see a Salt I in your list, so view this as an opportunity to purchase another wonderful blade that is between the Dragonfly and Pacific Salt in size.

The Dragonfly Salt is just so darn handy and easy to carry, I'd be hard pressed to leave that one at home. Unless you are doing food prep / cutting watermelons and *need* a longer blade, it should handle anything you throw at it -- maybe take along a Double Stuff sharpening stone for touch-up.
One knife? I didn't read that inthe OP, OMG that's heresy. Maybe a Swiss Army knife if that's the way it has to be ... one knife???
Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger »

Dfly for sure
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
iyn

Post by iyn »

Dragonfly & stretch 2.
bt148

Post by bt148 »

vaisforlovers wrote:My Salt I is my vacation knife. So based on your options, I'd choose either the Delica or Dragonfly II Salt. In Florida, especially if going to the beach, I'd choose the Dragonfly. Being smaller, it is less likely to get noticed by Non-Knife People and finally, if it is confiscated at the airport or stolen from your luggage, it is the cheapest to replace.

Have fun on vacation, and let us know what you decide.
Hey guys, thanks for the input. I actually ended up taking 3 blades with me - the Manix 2 Lightweight, Delica and a Mora Heavy Duty Companion. The Manix has been my carry knife, the Delica is in the suitcase as a backup and the Mora is in my backpack...So now all of you anti one knifers can rest easy :D

As many of you recommended, I was going to bring the Dfly Salt but the GF has in her purse and refused to let it out of her possession. This MIGHT be a direct result of her not being able to come along on this particular trip!

I've been spending more around the ocean than I had anticipated. Used the Manix to make a fire bow kit and process some wood on the beach last night and it performed very well. No rust on the blade yet, still sharp, it's been easy to wash the sand out of the locking mechanism and it has been a breeze to carry in the front pocket of my swim trunks.

Thanks again for all of the input.
BAL

Post by BAL »

I couldn't only take one, what if you lost it somehow.
I would opt for the PM2 and the Dragonfly. Carry one
and leave one in the car, suitcase or somewhere. I'd
carry the PM2, but there might be times when the smaller
knife would be a better choice. But you would have the choice.
just my .02
iyn

Post by iyn »

The Dragonfly is my vacation knife.
swedishgrunt

Post by swedishgrunt »

i would bring the delica.
it is my go to knife when im out fishing.
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

Pacific...or the D'fly Salt...
My Spydies: Sharpmaker • Tasman Salt • Saver Salt • Ladybug Hawkbill Salt • Salt 1 • Blue/Gray Meerkat • Burgundy Meerkat • Manix2 Ltwt Translucent Blue • Manix2 Ltwt Blacked Out • Manix2 Backlock • Ladybug 1 Red • Blue UKPK • Tusk • Blue Lava • Dog Tag • Bug • Honeybee • Grasshopper • Stepped Ti Chaparral • McBee • AEB-L Urban