New TSA rules on knives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
golddot370

New TSA rules on knives

Post by golddot370 »

Starting next month passengers will be allowed to carry folding knives that are 2.36 inches or less. I love this new rule what does everyone else think on this decision ?
International Order Of The SpyderEdge
Spydiefanatic #370
Emersonaholic #370
Team KillboX #370
Proud member of the N.R.A
'MAY GOD HAVE MERCY UPON MY ENEMIES, BECAUSE I WON'T.'
General George S. Patton
Luke 22:36
spinynorman

Post by spinynorman »

I heard this on the radio today also - a big step in the right direction, and a sign that common sense still exists. Very glad to hear it. I wonder how they came up with 2.36" though? That will still exclude most common pocket knives, like SRKs, won't it?
IceCold

Post by IceCold »

Yeah but nothing Spyderco makes will be allowed WHy? Because it can not be a "locking" blade I guess that means it has to be a super cheap fold out knife that can't even lock out. then thats ok
PMBohol

Post by PMBohol »

Plus the knife cannot have a molded handle. That could be up to the discretion of the officer.
Delica 4 FFG
Paramilitary 2 DLC Digicam
Brad Southard flipper (missing in action)
Sharpmaker
Gayle Bradley 2.
Gayle Bradley Air
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

There are plenty of thoughts and opinions on the topic in this thread: http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... U-S-Planes
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

So now folks can carry small SAK's, Case Tiny Trappers, and a few other miniature slipjoints when they travel. Guess that's better than nothing, at least for the folks who fly without checked baggage and want something capable of cutting a loose thread or opening a package when they get where they're going. Haven't seen any mention of being allowed to have the knife on your person, much less use it, while on the plane.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
buckthorn

Post by buckthorn »

Thanks, Deacon, for raising the "on your person" question. I've been asking about that on a couple of forums including this one but no one seems to pick up on it. When the TSA announcement is read it seems as if the small knives can only be in the carry on luggage and it makes no mention of being, for instance, in your pocket. Does anyone have any thoughts/information about this?
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

IceCold wrote:Yeah but nothing Spyderco makes will be allowed WHy? Because it can not be a "locking" blade I guess that means it has to be a super cheap fold out knife that can't even lock out. then thats ok
Am I missing something? What about the Squeak? It's non-locking and sub 2-inches.
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

ChrisR wrote:Am I missing something? What about the Squeak? It's non-locking and sub 2-inches.
But I'm betting the blade is well over 1/2" high/wide. Also, the handle shape may fit the TSA's definition of "molded".
Paul
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

jabba359 wrote:There are plenty of thoughts and opinions on the topic in this thread: http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... U-S-Planes
+1 this is a double thread, very annoying imo
Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

IG-88 wrote:+1 this is a double thread, very annoying imo
Think it's one of four or five, if you count the ones in Off Topic. On a more upbeat note, Sal did mention over on BF that they're looking into making something compliant, once they're sure what the rules really are.
Paul
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

The Deacon wrote:But I'm betting the blade is well over 1/2" high/wide. Also, the handle shape may fit the TSA's definition of "molded".
Ahhhhhhh, right ... blade width is a strange criterion to put on a knife - especially if the length is only 2-inches ... I wonder why they care how wide it is? :S
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
galeos

Post by galeos »

TSA delays rules change that would have allowed small knives.

This is bad news unless you think that the Aviation Security Advisory Committee wants TSA to reconsider its bewildering ban on "molded handles" whatever that actually means.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-575 ... on-planes/