Does the Yojimbo 2's lock have a floating ball?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
iwolf81

Does the Yojimbo 2's lock have a floating ball?

Post by iwolf81 »

Hello all!

I just received a new Yojimbo 2 that was part of a recently manufactured batch. Out of the box, it had the smoothest action of any Spydie since my D2 Para. However later on, the opening action became noticeably rougher. I examined the opened lock with a magnifying glass and saw that the surface of the ball that came in contact with the blade when being closed had a small rough spot. I don't see how this rough spot could've been in contact with the blade earlier when the action was smooth as glass, hence my question.

If I'm way off base with the "floating ball" hypothesis, is there another explanation for my observation of the roughening action? Later this morning, I'll see if a drop of Tuff Glide help out.

Thanks,
Ira

PS I'm back!
D3 CE, FG D4 CE Krein'd, Blue D4 FFG, Pink D4, Caly3 SE, USN E4 CE, Pink E4 CE, E4 ZDP-189 SE, FG E4 CE, E4 G10 FFG, Tenacious SE, Para SE, Para D2, Millie D2, ATR SE, Orange Assist I, Blue Rescue 93, Khukuri, Barong, Meerkat, Ladybug H1 SE, Manix 2 XHP, Rock Salt, S90V Mule Krein'd, JD Smith Sprint, Brown Matriarch SE, Poliwog, Stretch CE, Millie M4/Ti, Rock Lobster, Zulu, Rescue 79, D'Allara Rescue, LadyHawk SE, Lum Tanto Sprint, Dragonfly G10, Chaparral, Sage I, Caspian, Gayle Bradley
Zeabed

Post by Zeabed »

Could the rough spot have been the result of an abrasion on the ball that somehow happened later, therefore affecting what originally was a smooth action?

(Writing "abrasion on the ball" made me hurt a little.)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

No idea, but my mind is stuck thinking that if the ball is able to spin inside the blade, that it still wouldn't spin anyway because the area of contact around the ball would create more friction than the tiny area that the ball contacts the blade, and therefore the higher friction side would win the battle and the ball would stay in one place and simply slide along the blade and not actually roll.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Yea I would clean it and put a drop of lube/grease in there. The knives that use a detent bearing seem to grit up faster and from my experience 9/10 times it's just a bit of dirt.
iwolf81

Post by iwolf81 »

Blerv wrote:Yea I would clean it and put a drop of lube/grease in there. The knives that use a detent bearing seem to grit up faster and from my experience 9/10 times it's just a bit of dirt.
A drop of Tuff-Glide did the trick!

It's amazing how much blade is tucked inside the handle. This is one impressive design!

Thanks!
Ira
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

iwolf81 wrote:A drop of Tuff-Glide did the trick!

It's amazing how much blade is tucked inside the handle. This is one impressive design!

Thanks!
Ira
Glad to hear! :)