Confession time

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Lo/Rez

Confession time

Post by Lo/Rez »

Although I'm sure to get flamed for this or go down in history as some sort of heretic ........ I'm not a big fan of titanium scales. There, I finally got it off my chest, I don't like them. Maybe some day I will but not right now. Aesthetically I think CF is so much nicer.
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

"Heresy" actually means "thinking for oneself". So go ahead and be a heretic all you want. It's a good thing. Unless you're trying desperately to keep the congregation in line. ;)

Gordon
bh49

You are not alone.

Post by bh49 »

Do not worry about this. You are not alone.
I am not fan of plain Ti or most of CF either. Fluted Ti is nice. I like Taiwanese CF an CF on Dodo. But I will take most of natural materials over any kind of CF or Ti I ever saw.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

You don't have to like Titanium. I don't like Nishijin, or almost all SS scales, or glossy smooth CF scales. No big deal.
:bug-red-white
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

Stonewashed Ti is cool, and I like almost all versions of CF, but I really can't get into any knife with SS handles. I too don't like Nishijin, but I think I could like the recently posted blue version. I guess all this is to say to each his own.
Invective

Post by Invective »

I have sweaty hands. I like handles that give me grip. Titanium doesn't really do that for me unless it is textured and contoured. In fact, I just noticed pretty much all my knives have pronounced choils are finger grooves to prevent slippage.
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

I don't like metal scales, Ti included. I like framelocks even less.

You're not alone. :)
Dan (dsmegst)

:spyder:
Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
:spyder:
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Add me to the list of folks who don't prefer Ti scales and framelocks. There are a few Ti framelocks I do like because of the knife design but if given a choice between the same knife with G10 scales against one with Ti, I'm going with the G10 each time.
michaelm466

Post by michaelm466 »

I prefer the rough texture CF like on the S90V PM2, then G10 (rough texture better than smoother, and prefer color over brown, black, light grey), I like titanium ok as long as it at least has some texture like the ZT 560 or fluted Ti Military, I'm not a fan of smooth Ti or steel or CF though.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I don't like jimping or g10. This thread is gonna start a witch hunt! :p
jon1all

Post by jon1all »

I am a big fan of G10 (and jimping :) ), so different strokes... no need for the OP to worry about expressing his opinion. We all have those things we like and don't like. If we didn't differ there would only ever be one model of Spyderco (or knives in general)... and how boring would that be???? LOL!!!

That said, I have never been all that enthralled with Ti either... that is until recently. Within the last couple months I have started to appreciate it. Stonewashed Ti is pretty amazing looking stuff. Anyway, I have completed my transition to liking Ti by buying a Ti knife (alas, not a Spydie... got a Zero Tolerance ZT0550... I looked at the Southard, but it just didn't float my boat). Anyway, when the new Spydie Domino Flipper comes out with its Ti side I will be all over it (assuming I can get one). Anyway, my point was/is... give a good Ti knife a chance and you may find you change your mind about Ti. And if, not... well, then no worries... like I said... different strokes for different folks! :)
Apparently, arachnophobia is not a condition from which I suffer.... :spyder:
------
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." (oops!)
--Thomas Jefferson
PLEASE VISIT MY BLOG >>>1all's Pub<<<
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

While we're on it, I don't like jimping either. Nor choils on the blade. Waste of space IMO.
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

OK, my turn. I don't really care much for wood, bone, horn, tooth, stone, or any other natural materials.

And I think damascus is ugly.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

dsmegst wrote:I don't like metal scales, Ti included. I like framelocks even less.

You're not alone. :)
I feel the same as Dan. They look cool to me but I do not want to use a knife with a metal handle.
avocadobbq

Post by avocadobbq »

FRN > Carbon Fiber > G10 > Micarta > Wood > Titanium > Steel
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

I don't dislike any handle materials but I do have a slight preference for CF/GF. Closely followed by Micarta/G10. I WANT to like natural materials... Wood, horn etc. Love the looks, but I've had them fail/split/crack on me in the past.

I had (well, still have) a beautiful Gerber Hunter with highly contoured rosewood handle.
Tried 20 of them (at the store, i didn't buy 20 ;) ) until I found the one that fit me perfectly. A year later it split wide open. Gerber fixed it, but it doesn't fit like the origional did. I'll stick with synthetics.

Ken
玉鋼
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Metal scales of any flavor have very limited appeal for me, unless they're devoid of screws and engraved. Even then, with rare exceptions, I'd prefer the exposed metal to be confined to bolsters and the rest of the scales to be wood, bone, antler, or ivory.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Chevy

Post by Chevy »

It's all good. I dislike Reeves Lock knives (lack of symmetry for me and asthetics) and some Spyderco's I just don't like in general. But like many have said to each his own and I believe the differences in what each person likes is what makes Spyderco such a great company with a dizzying array of knives, steels, and materials.
:spyder: in possession: Endura4 CE, Endura4 Trainer, Delica4 PE, Delica4 Trainer, Matriarch2, Manix2 PE Black Blade, Atlantic Salt, Tasman Salt SE, Tasman Salt PE, Pacific Salt PE Black Blade, UKPK Drop Point PE Maroon, Squeak, Bob T, Grasshopper, Kiwi Stag, Native Lightweight CE, Ambitious, Poliwog, Manbug LW, Native5, ATR Ti SE, Spydercard, Calypso Jr. SE, Caly 3.5 G10, Meerkat, Street Bowie, Swick2.

en route:

:spyder:wants: Pingo, Yojimbo2, Street Beat, Jester, Ronin, Starmate.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Jay_Ev wrote:OK, my turn. I don't really care much for wood, bone, horn, tooth, stone, or any other natural materials.

And I think damascus is ugly.
I'm with you brother. On all those points.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Nice Gerber Ken. Is that a HSS ( M2) one? Just curious. It's a nice cut of wood.

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"