Amsterdam Meet 2013 Report of Upcoming Spyderco Prototypes

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I started posting the first video in this thread, it's of the Dyad Sprint proto.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Donut wrote:Wouter, was there any mention of the full sized Manix with the lock improvements from the Native 5?
If there was, I didn't hear it.
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

Mr Blonde wrote:If there was, I didn't hear it.
Mmh, I could vaguely remember a concept model of the small Manix 1 with G-10 and a refined lockback, so perhaps a big Manix is also planned.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and beautiful knives. The rest I just squandered."
Slightly modified, R.I.P. George Best.
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

The Deacon wrote:It's a valid question, but impossible to answer. Sometimes a new Spyderco model will premier at SHOT, Amsterdam, or BLADE and be on dealer shelves a few weeks later. Sometimes it will be six months, or a year, or somewhere in between. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if there was at least one that was shown at SHOT or Amsterdam last year that has yet to be released.
Thanks for the answer I kinda thought its backed up a bit.
Not to say I'm not happy to wait though there's companies banging out new knives left right and centre but none I want.
Spyderco has at least 3 that are definite but as always $ dictates the time.
At least it gives me time to start a little fund going, thanks for the heads up and if getting them means losing a bit of what this company is I'd rather wait.
Have a good weekend all .
RJNC

Post by RJNC »

Those clip tools are a dream come true!!!
oldgoat

Post by oldgoat »

those clip tools are sick
bengaiser

Post by bengaiser »

Mr Blonde wrote:The Hungarian Ethnic Folder was an intriguing design. Based on looks, the bolster/blade ramp area looked terribly uncomfortable to hold – to me at least. However, when I held the design in my hands, it ‘clicked’. It’s easy to grip and operate. Its slender long design with contoured handle scales reminded me a lot of some of the finer Laguiole knives. I’m afraid I didn’t get any specific info on this design, from Sal or Eric’s presentation.

The specifications we measured for the Hungarian Ethnic Folder are:

Blade Length: 9,3 cm / 3.66 inch
Overall Length: 21,5 cm / 8.46 inch
If this thing is half as smooth as it looks, it might seriously compete for time in my pocket with the Viele. Simply beautiful!
hun

Post by hun »

bengaiser wrote:If this thing is half as smooth as it looks, it might seriously compete for time in my pocket with the Viele. Simply beautiful!
Thanks much, bengaiser.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Apologies if this has already been done, but what's on your wishlist from this collection of prototypes?

My wishlist is:
1) Chaparrall 3
2) Domino
3) Jot Sing Khalsa
4) Serrata
5) Equilibrium
6) Lava blue G-10 sprint

I'll definitely try out one of the ClipiTools, but I'd have to see how it carries and performs before I dive into the complete line.
BAL

Post by BAL »

Any news on the Whatsit, aka large folder.
I haven't heard anything in a while.
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Mr Blonde wrote:Apologies if this has already been done, but what's on your wishlist from this collection of prototypes?
1. Hungarian Ethnic. Love the lines, not sure about the polished shine on the bolster yet, but that's just my preference. Maybe it will sink in.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Mr Blonde wrote:Apologies if this has already been done, but what's on your wishlist from this collection of prototypes?
1) Domino
2) SUPERBLUE
3) Serrata
4) Kiwi
5) Blue Lava
6) ClipiTools!
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

BAL wrote:Any news on the Whatsit, aka large folder.
I haven't heard anything in a while.
It was at the meet, it was big, it was also one of the concepts I couldn't photograph. The concept model had a black g-10 handle and a type of clip point blade profile (not upswept) IIRC.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Mr Blonde wrote:It was at the meet, it was big,....
Like Ulize or Police 3 big?
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
sal

Post by sal »

Mako109 wrote:1. Hungarian Ethnic. Love the lines, not sure about the polished shine on the bolster yet, but that's just my preference. Maybe it will sink in.
Hi Mako,

It's really a beautiful piece. I'm sure the bolster will eventually be scratched in use and a nice functional surface will show experience. It will come with a clear plastic cover when new.

Hi Hun,

Welcome to the Spyderco forum. Any interesting stories you'd like to share? The development of the model?

sal
sal

Post by sal »

xceptnl wrote:Like Ulize or Police 3 big?
It's bigger all around than the Ulize or the Police 3.

sal
Donut

Post by Donut »

Lava blue G-10 sprint (maybe 2), Super Blue Endura, Super Blue Delica, Clipitool Bottle Opener

Should be an interesting year if the Golden expansion is completed, we get more steels from China, and Italy produces more models. Maybe we'll see some Elmax from Italy. It's always a nice surprise to see what models come out of Taichung, the Sage 5 might be interesting.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
bengaiser

Post by bengaiser »

sal wrote:Hi Mako,

It's really a beautiful piece. I'm sure the bolster will eventually be scratched in use and a nice functional surface will show experience. It will come with a clear plastic cover when new.

sal
Sometimes it's nice for a knife to show a bit of character. Looks like it would be fairly easy to tape off and put a nice matte finish as well if you wanted to go that route.
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

Mr Blonde wrote:The Perrin Streetbowie is back, now in all black. Apparently the design started out by Fred Perrin, intended for use by the French Armed Forces. The Spyderco Perrin Streetbowie never did become a French army issue knife. Recently, the US armed forced showed interest in the design, but they wanted it in all black. So Spyderco decided to come out with the Perrin Streetbowie in black.

I forgot to take measurements of the Perrin, but according to an older catalog, the Spyderco Perrin Streetbowie measures:

Blade Length: 12,8 cm / 5.05 inch
Overall Length: 23,8 cm / 9.38 inch
Just got one yesterday :)

Its just superb.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Mine seems to get shorter every year . :( Of the prototypes you showed, on the Lava and Dyad Sprints are of any interest to me. While I'm not crazy about the G-10 on either of them, it looks like it can be replaced, and the Dyad reconfigured for LH use. And, while I can't pretend to be excited by the G-10 and lack of bolsters, I'm sure I'll also get the larger Kiwi if it makes it past the concept stage.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!