Amsterdam Meet 2013 Report of Upcoming Spyderco Prototypes

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Thank you Wouter, I appreciate you annual Amsterdam thread every year!
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
LC Kid

Post by LC Kid »

Thanx Again Mr. Blonde!

The Serrata is a keeper for sure. That blade looks really nice for an utilitary user
:rolleyes: I don't care if it doesn't have a sheath, I'll make one myself :) BTW: Do you know the handle material for the D'Fly Super Blue? It was said that it'll be Laminated Super Blue, but I don't know about the scales.

G10? FRN? Micarta maybe? :D
Stay Sharp!
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Thank you Sal for allowing me to share my dream with more knife lovers...

Wouter, many thanks for showing us the pics..I have yet to handle the proto, but it is about what I imagined it to be...
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:Thank you Sal for allowing me to share my dream with more knife lovers...

Wouter, many thanks for showing us the pics..I have yet to handle the proto, but it is about what I imagined it to be...
Very nice design! What steel is being planned?

Ken
玉鋼
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

I investment cast 440C steel and it is HTed to 57/58 C on the Rockwell scale...

I would assumethat Spyderco have and will do the same...

I have tried other steel, and it works the best for cutting...once you have tried one, you will see what I mean...
yossarian

Post by yossarian »

Thanks so much for the report. I keep thinking you are done, and you keep uploading more photos. :-)

I really like the blue Spin. I'm using my etched one as my "wallet" today, money clip style.

+1 that the larger version of the Kiwi should have a clip, preferably of the deep wire variety. I don't mind that it is plain G10 and more utilitarian looking than the originals, but I do think it would be a good platform for some handle variations.
Working :spyder:'s: Dragonfly, Dragonfly 2 ZDP, Pacific Salt (reground flat by Brad S.), Green Delica FFG, Orange Endura FFG, Saver Salt, Spin Etched, Tasman Salt, Blue FRCP Manix 2
Holland

Post by Holland »

Thanks for all your work Mr. Blonde, much appreciated
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

Thanks Mr. Blonde... excellent photos as always.

I like the Ackerman, looks like a great EDC fixed blade.
I also am interested in the new "kiwi", but I agree that I wish it had wire pocket clip. I just don't carry knives anymore that I can't clip.
Anybody know what steel and materials the Mike Draper is made out of? Looks like a nice elegant knife.
Guy Vanderveken

Post by Guy Vanderveken »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:I investment cast 440C steel and it is HTed to 57/58 C on the Rockwell scale...

I would assumethat Spyderco have and will do the same...

I have tried other steel, and it works the best for cutting...once you have tried one, you will see what I mean...
Congrats Zackerty, It looks like a winner- I am excited about this knife, looks great.

Cheers,
Guy
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Wouter,
Thank you for bringing us all this info and great pictures. Your Amsterdam thread is biggest highlight of the year. I am waiting for it for month and month.
I like new Spin, never really cared for the old variants, but this one is very nice. Serrata also looks very interesting.
Pomelly wrote:I have seen only now that this Domino is made in Taiwan: I know, we are speaking of prototypes, but I thought that would be made in U.S., especially considering similarity with Manix.... Sorry for the confession but I really hope It will be made in Golden! I hope you are including with me...
Most likely it will be made in Taiwan. I remember Sal's post that the next flipper is designed by Eric and will be made in Taiwan. Sound like Domino.
I am like you, can only wish for more new knives would be made in Golden. May be in future.
araneae wrote:Many of us believe that Thaichung, Taiwan is putting out the best quality spydies right now.
Of cause, but for me "Made in US" is like an extra bonus.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

LC Kid wrote:Thanx Again Mr. Blonde!

The Serrata is a keeper for sure. That blade looks really nice for an utilitary user
:rolleyes: I don't care if it doesn't have a sheath, I'll make one myself :) BTW: Do you know the handle material for the D'Fly Super Blue? It was said that it'll be Laminated Super Blue, but I don't know about the scales.

G10? FRN? Micarta maybe? :D
I'd wager that since all the others in the Super Blue runs are going to be FRN (Endura, Delica, Stretch, Ladybug), it's safe to assume the Dragonfly will also be FRN.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Mr Blonde wrote:The Mike Draper prototype seemed, to me, a lot like one of the old-fashioned straight Spyderco designs. The knife measured 22,8 cm / 8,9 inch overall, with an estimated blade length of 9.5 cm / 3.7 inch. The knife was a lot lighter in the hand than I initially thought. I’m afraid I didn’t catch much more info on this Mike Draper design.

Am I the only one that thinks the web engraving makes this model look too much like the cheap Chinese Spyderco knockoffs that are always floating around eBay? Don't get me wrong, I like the design, but the fakes tend to use similar embellishments on their knives.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
KBar666

Post by KBar666 »

OMG!!!! Black Szabo is another must,

the serrata also looks awsome.

the street bowie is again an instant classic to me.

the draper looks interesting too.
KBar666

Post by KBar666 »

jabba359 wrote:Am I the only one that thinks the web engraving makes this model look too much like the cheap Chinese Spyderco knockoffs that are always floating around eBay?
No I thought this too, but decided to over look it.
wolfstyle

Post by wolfstyle »

jabba359 wrote:Am I the only one that thinks the web engraving makes this model look too much like the cheap Chinese Spyderco knockoffs that are always floating around eBay? Don't get me wrong, I like the design, but the fakes tend to use similar embellishments on their knives.
No I thought the same thing. Nice design, but defiantly doesn't look like a Spyderco.

wolfstyle
Donut

Post by Donut »

I love the glass fiber on the black szabo. I hope we see more models with it.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
jah

Post by jah »

Thanks Wouter!
Jerry
PatCatMan

Post by PatCatMan »

Thanks Mr. Blonde for the great pictures!

The Domino looks awesome - looks even better than the Domino in the video.
Is the blade now longer than when the video was taken?
Thanks again,
Pat
"You miss 100% of the shots you never take"
JudasD

Post by JudasD »

I had very low hopes after seeing the 2013 catalog. After view this thread i have a very optimistic outlook on 2103 now :D
The kiwi with no clip is a no-no for me. that is a bit of a let down. I didn't even realize a clip wasn't on the knife i just assumed it was a given that it was :(

JD
v8r

Post by v8r »

The Battlestation is my favorite. Very cool design.
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p