Amsterdam Meet 2013 Report of Upcoming Spyderco Prototypes

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

Say, I like that backlock Kiwi! Jigged bone, you say? Hmmm....

Tod
Gomer: Goober says 'Hey!'
Andy: Hey to Goober.
Pomelly

Post by Pomelly »

I loved the Kiwi since it was made in Japan, so this is a pleasant throwback for me, expecially with the backlock. As MrBlonde said I also prefer other colors, but this less important and we always speak of prototypes!
I very happy to see the Khalsa again... Well done ;)
I find all of those knives very interesting! Then personal taste makes the difference...
I take this opportunity once again to thank MrBlonde for the great job.
KBar666

Post by KBar666 »

Man that Karahawk is an instant want.

Also excited for the Battle Station as as the Khalsa, the Domino, and the new Ethnic looks interesting.
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

Great photos Wouter - very well done :)

I love the lines of the Kiwi G10 (though I agree that CF would be better for a gentlemen's folder) but is it possible to have it non-locking? :) For such a light-use knife I think it limits the places you can carry it if it has a lock.
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Mr Blonde wrote:The Hungarian Ethnic Folder was an intriguing design. Based on looks, the bolster/blade ramp area looked terribly uncomfortable to hold – to me at least. However, when I held the design in my hands, it ‘clicked’. It’s easy to grip and operate. Its slender long design with contoured handle scales reminded me a lot of some of the finer Laguiole knives. I’m afraid I didn’t get any specific info on this design, from Sal or Eric’s presentation.
The specifications we measured for the Hungarian Ethnic Folder are:

Blade Length: 9,3 cm / 3.66 inch
Overall Length: 21,5 cm / 8.46 inch
Wouter,
Thank you again for the great job.
This is great looking folder. good size too. I hope production will stay with micarta and be affordable. Also I hope that grind will be fairly thin. I like this knife a lot.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Greaser

Post by Greaser »

Did they mention if the Dragonfly superblue sprint would be laminated like the Delica? I hope not...I would love to get one and have a nice petina on it!
Pomelly

Post by Pomelly »

ChrisR wrote:Great photos Wouter - very well done :)

I love the lines of the Kiwi G10 (though I agree that CF would be better for a gentlemen's folder) but is it possible to have it non-locking? :) For such a light-use knife I think it limits the places you can carry it if it has a lock.
The non-locking version already exist, It's the actual production with steel or bone scales, but It's made in China and there are big differences between the Japan made.
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

Greaser wrote:Did they mention if the Dragonfly superblue sprint would be laminated like the Delica? I hope not...I would love to get one and have a nice petina on it!
All FRN SB Sprints are manufactured by G. Sakei and therefore all will have the laminated blade.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and beautiful knives. The rest I just squandered."
Slightly modified, R.I.P. George Best.
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

bh49 wrote:This is great looking folder. good size too. I hope production will stay with micarta and be affordable. Also I hope that grind will be fairly thin. I like this knife a lot.
Yes, the Hungarian Ethnic Folder is an amazing piece of art and was really comfortable in the hand. The grind was very thin, but the scales were polished G-10, if I remember correctly.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and beautiful knives. The rest I just squandered."
Slightly modified, R.I.P. George Best.
divB0

Post by divB0 »

Mr Blonde wrote:I think I could as far as Spyderco is concerned, but consider that Spyderco showed 68 knives in total at this meet. That's a lot. :o I'll try to give an impression of the knives I couldn't show, after I'm done with the pictures.
Thank you that would be awesome!!!

Also, 68?!?!?! I'm extremely jealous.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I'm psyched for the Karahawk and the lava! I've never owned a karambit before. I'm a little worried about the ring loop not having any support. Any chance they could get squeezed together and bent?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

That Hungarian folder definitely has my interest!
Thanks for all the great pics.
:bug-red-white
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

kiwi! :D
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

MarcusH wrote:Yes, the Hungarian Ethnic Folder is an amazing piece of art and was really comfortable in the hand. The grind was very thin, but the scales were polished G-10, if I remember correctly.
100% This is a sweet knife to handle. The knife would be perfect if the blade was polished like the bolsters. This would make it a very classy knife, now the satin blade clashes with the nice and shinny bolsters.
Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

Thanks for answering my question, Wouter. Your pictures still impress.

That Kiwi G10 looks like another sure purchase for me. I have really wanted to test out a wharnie and a larger Kiwi with G10 scales (and hopefully VG10 and a wireclip) sounds like the perfect platform to use.
JudasD

Post by JudasD »

i just had to wipe the drool off of my keyboard from that Gabor Szakonyi Hungarian Folder. That is an instant want for me! That knife is gorgeous! And XHP blade! ohh yeah!!!
Also a locking Kiwi! Much want! i didnt see any markings on the blade. will this be Japan and VG10?
Thank you for the pics!

JD
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

Pomelly wrote:The non-locking version already exist, It's the actual production with steel or bone scales, but It's made in China and there are big differences between the Japan made.
Exactly why I asked ... I have held-off buying the existing slipit Kiwis because they're nice but I am not a big fan of steel or bone/antler scales. I prefer G10 or CF in the hand :)
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
Raylas

Post by Raylas »

Okay, Upon seeing that hungarian folder I can only express a single sentiment, ahem: WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANT!

It's like the Vallottan and the Navaja have been breeding, I HAVE to have that knife!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

MarcusH wrote:Yes, the Hungarian Ethnic Folder is an amazing piece of art and was really comfortable in the hand. The grind was very thin, but the scales were polished G-10, if I remember correctly.
IG-88 wrote:100% This is a sweet knife to handle. The knife would be perfect if the blade was polished like the bolsters. This would make it a very classy knife, now the satin blade clashes with the nice and shinny bolsters.
gents,
Thank you very much for information. Satin blade is little unusual for Spyderco. I really love their polished blades. I agree with IG-88, polished blade certainly will be better in my opinion for this knife.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
LC Kid

Post by LC Kid »

Mr. Blonde:

Thanx Much again for your awesome work!

Mr Blonde wrote: Finally we got to see a new version of the venerable Kiwi.

The Kiwi G-10 Concept Model measured as follows:

Blade Length: 7,5 cm / 2.95 inch
Overall Length: 17,1 cm / 6.7 inch

This is like a Dream Come True :D

That Wharncliffe blade is IMHO the BEST Blade Design for the Kiwi model.

I REALLY wish this concept make it to the market. It's a GrandSlam by it's own right! :)
Stay Sharp!