Amsterdam Meet 2013 Report of Upcoming Spyderco Prototypes

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Invective

Post by Invective »

araneae wrote:Battlestation looks great, I'm not a tanto fan, but a coworker was just asking why Spyderco doesn't have any tanto designs.
They've also got the older Lum Tantos, fixed and folders. In fact, there's a fixed Lum Tanto in the works to be released later this year as well.
c.joe

Post by c.joe »

And it begins.. Thanks Wouter!
pdptrow

Post by pdptrow »

Thanks Wouter, Great start! I like it.
Paul
:spyder: Sage1, Stretch II CE-sold, S35VN Mule,Manix 2 CTS-XHP, Delica BRG ZDP-189 PE, Manix 2 CPM M4, Para 2 CTS-20CP :), M390 Mule, #Southard Flipper, Left Hand Millie, Para 2 204P :D, Delica Super blue
It is a mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -Aristotle
speedcut

Post by speedcut »

DiAlex my friend , good job on this one... :)

Thanks Wouter for the pictures , this is the thread of the year for me :)
buferoe

Post by buferoe »

hey Wouter,

The pictures are marvelous, and the meet yesterday in Amsterdam was great.
Good to see so much friendly faces, and the Spyderco crew was superb.
I can't wait to see the rest, it's gonna be a year of saving and waiting.

thanks in advance and hope to see you in April on the DKE.

greetz,

Werner
The only good knive is my sharp Spyderco........
Jurphaas

Post by Jurphaas »

Thank you very much Wouter. We had a great meet yesterday. The fact that the registation filled within two weeks after Christmas tells me that this exclusive event is gaining importance amoung our following. During the socializing after the meet ended, I was hearing many compliments about the product we have in the pipeline and about your "Amsterdam Meet " post. I never thought that you would come home, sit down and post your first section just before midnight after such a long and demanding workday at Spyderco.... :)
Thanks Wouter! BIG Kuddo's for you on behalf of Sal & Eric and the entire Spyderco crew!
PS: Alex, compliments on the design of your BattleStation folder. A very nice knife!
Jurphaas.
Clipits Work!
* WTC # 0107 *
BAL

Post by BAL »

Thanks again Wouter, anxious to see more.
Awesome knife design Dialex,I like this one alot.
I like the lines and the overall look. The tip really
sets it off.
Pomelly

Post by Pomelly »

Great pics and thread! ...as usual :) better than if I had been there: I would have surely missed something. I don't want to speak of the knife at this moment... maybe it's not a design for me.
4 s ter

Post by 4 s ter »

Wouter - Thank you once more for these excellent preview images. I look forward to this post of yours each year more than any other internet forum event!!

Alex - this knife takes me back to the first postings of your knife designs which we all admired many years ago on this forum. Once again, congratulations on another design moving towards commercial reality!
David

"Not all who wander are lost"
"To liner or not to liner? That is the question?" -- Sal
"Rule number nine: always carry a knife." -- Special Agent Jethro Gibbs/NCIS ;)
Ildbjorn

Post by Ildbjorn »

Hmmmm? I am wondering if those fillers/grooves on the blade would fit a tritium tube? Any thoughts?

Cheers and thanks for this much anticipated thread,

Ildbjorn
Left Hand Path

Post by Left Hand Path »

4 s ter wrote:Wouter - Thank you once more for these excellent preview images. I look forward to this post of yours each year more than any other internet forum event!!

Alex - this knife takes me back to the first postings of your knife designs which we all admired many years ago on this forum. Once again, congratulations on another design moving towards commercial reality!
David summed it up for me as well!

I hope Spyderco puts the Battle Station into production. I am not usually a tanto fan, but this one looks nice. Does it have a hamaguri tip like the Lum tanto?

This knife has a "big knife" look. I am surprised to read that it is only a 3" blade.
-Nick

Join Today!
http://www.KnifeRights.org
Mr Blonde

Spyderco 2013 Concept Model – Chaparral 3

Post by Mr Blonde »

Something new for this year’s Amsterdam Meet was the fact that some of the knives that I could publish still had a ‘concept model’ designation on the accompanying tag. In previous years, you could only publish ‘production prototypes’ and not ‘concept models’. This Chaparral came with a tag on the table that said ‘concept model’.

This is the third Chaparral in the series. All Chaparral designs are made in Taiwan, feature the same CTS XHP blade steel, the same lock and the same blade. However, every edition will feature a new handle material – or variation thereof, I guess. Like the previous Stealth Chaparral, this one featured a titanium handle. The decorated pattern on this Chaparral 3 blew my proverbial mind! I hope it comes across in the pics, but in real life this was really impressive to me. It’s like someone studied Escher’s works for inspiration.

Considering all the machining needed for this pattern – I wouldn’t expect this one to come cheap. Still, this would be an awesome collector piece! I want one!

For the Chaparral 3 concept model the approximate specifications are:
Blade length: 7,3 cm / 2.87 inch
Overall Length: 16 cm / 6.29 inch
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Wow! :eek: Glad I held off on the Chap 2!
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Chap 3 is very impressive knife. May be I will not be able to wait until bolstered Chap come out.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Mr Blonde

Spyderco 2013 Concept Model – ClipiTool

Post by Mr Blonde »

I have seen earlier versions of this ClipiTool concept model over the years, and it’s impressive to see how an idea became a design and now a production quality tool. The ClipiTool features a blade similar to a Ladybug and a tool. The three ClipiTool concept models featured either a pair of scissors, serrated sheepsfoot blade or a bottlecap opener/screwdriver tool.

All the blades/tools featured a forefinger choil for control, and a measure of safety since these ClipiTools were slipits. I could easily open the knife blades with one hand, and the round holes for the tools seemed to work better for me than a regular small nailnick in tools of this size. Personally, I would prefer these small tools to be a bit lighter, perhaps with G10 or FRN instead of steel for the handle scales?

For the ClipiTool concept models, the approximate specifications are:

Knife Blade / Scissors / Bottle Cap Opener Tool Length: 5,7 cm / 2.24 inch
Overall Length: 11,8 cm / 4.64 inch
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I loved the Stealth look of the 2, but the geometric patterns on the 3 do take the cake for me!
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

The Chap 3 was much nicer than the Chaparral 2 and the titanium scales are much thicker.

Wonderful pictures, as always, Wouter!
I felt really sorry for you yesterday, you were very busy taking the pics and had no time to follow the explanations of Sal and Eric.

Marcus
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and beautiful knives. The rest I just squandered."
Slightly modified, R.I.P. George Best.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

:eek: :eek: :eek: Adjustable Pivot Clipitool :eek: :eek: :eek:

Spyderedge :eek: , Scissors :eek: , Bottle opener :D I'm on board. These look like great gifts!
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Mr Blonde

Spyderco 2013 Prototype – Cricket – Blue Nishijin

Post by Mr Blonde »

After the Spydercrew found out the the Nishijin carbon fiber was also made in blue, they decided to put it to good use. The decision was made to use the blue nishijin for the venerable Cricket design.

For the Cricket – Blue Nishijin, the approximate specifications are:
Blade Length: 5,1 cm / 2inch
Overall Length: 11,8 cm / 4.64 inch

It takes time to select and edit all the raw images (I shot a couple hundred in total, just to make sure that one decent shot is in there); I don’t have the time to post more tonight. More tomorrow…
spyder moist

Post by spyder moist »

my heart just skipped a beat clippitool
, a non locking spyderco with scissors. but a PE and SE blade oh my, Dreams do come true. my holy grail of knives.
In sal we trust