Native 5 is the one

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Skywarp

Native 5 is the one

Post by Skywarp »

The reason I have a collection of Spydies is my quest to find the perfect pocket knife. Well, I think I've just accomplished that with the edc forums moonglow Native. What a knife! Perfect size, not as heavy as it looks due to seriously skeletonized liners, great blade profile (even tho I prefer saber to ffg) and I'm just a big kid when it comes to gitd stuff.

Received the knife on Thursday and on Friday I ordered another!
Don't get me wrong, I still love most of my other Spydies but this ones going to get a lot of pocket time...
Urban Leaf, Superblue Delica 4, Leafstorm, Brown XHP Native, Brown Para 2
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I feel you. I carry Native5 for several month and it basically kicked out all other knives out of my pockets. It is not too heavy, but heavy enough to give nice feeling to a hand. It is a little thicker than Calys, which my hand really like and still flat enough to disappear in the pocket.
I love FFG on the knife and love how it cuts. I used to carry a longer blades, but it looks like Native5 can handle any tasks I need. I didn't get my Moonglow yet, hopefully next week.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

One of my favorites. Love the ergos.

Ken
玉鋼
Revival

Post by Revival »

Same here. I love the Native 5. Perfect size for EDC IMO.
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

You have found the perfect knife...until you find the next perfect knife. Most of us here have found the perfect knife about a dozen times now. My perfect knife de jour is the Caly sprint that just came out. It's part of the sickness of our hobby. Enjoy the Native - it's a good one.
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

Man, all of this Native 5 talking has piqued my interest. I hope we see something exciting from the Amsterdam Meet. ;)
Nederspyder

Post by Nederspyder »

Saw the Native (and Para 2) with fluted carbon fiber today. VERY nice!
mattman

Post by mattman »

Nederspyder wrote:Saw the Native (and Para 2) with fluted carbon fiber today. VERY nice!
and so it begins... :)
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

My sigline hints at why I would contribute to this tread, but I must say that I've been fondling my new Southard (this is a production knife?!) as much as my Native5. Still, I think the Native5 balances best all the things I now want for EDC.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Holland

Post by Holland »

Nederspyder wrote:Saw the Native (and Para 2) with fluted carbon fiber today. VERY nice!
Exciting :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
bh49

Post by bh49 »

pictures or this never happened :)
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

Nederspyder

Post by Nederspyder »

Oh but it did! Along with some very pretty acrylic handle Natives with colorful, almost trippy designs :D
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Nederspyder wrote:Oh but it did! Along with some very pretty acrylic handle Natives with colorful, almost trippy designs :D
I do not know, until I see it ;)
The last hope that Wouter will show us something

BrianD

Post by BrianD »

I can't seem to find any dealers that have the native 5 g10 in stock. Is the golden factory just inundated with such a high demand? Can I expect to see some soon? I've got the itch to own a native!
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

I have yet to go and buy a Native. Perhaps one day.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
fulmitz

Post by fulmitz »

Hi everyone,

My first spyderco was a native frn I got 2 weeks ago. I was so impressed I immediately ordered the Native5. It arrive and I love it but I'm wondering if this is normal, the blade when closed, leans to one side. Should it be center or is this normal. I'm attaching a picture so you can see what I'm talking about.

bh49

Post by bh49 »

fulmitz,
Welcome to the forum.
Sometimes you can see the knife with blade a little off center. I have four Native5 and at least one of them (the one, which is in my pocket now) exhibits similar condition. I read somewhere that this can condition be adjusted, but it never bothered me enough to proceed.

kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

KardinalSyn wrote:I have yet to go and buy a Native. Perhaps one day.
Well, when you can find one, buy it! Really one of my favorite Spydies ever made!

Ken
玉鋼
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

It is an exceptional knife I carry it a lot and I have to say the Manix 2 is almost like it's big brother a couple of perfect 2 EDC knives IMO.
Water_Gremlin

Post by Water_Gremlin »

I have the Native 5 Moonglow as well; my very first native. The feel in hand was surprisingly natural and comfortable. At first I was put off by its looks, I wasn't too excited about the knife in general, but I am a sucker for glow in the dark. I like it so much I am thinking about buying a second as backup.