More stonewashed Spydies, please!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
flash900

More stonewashed Spydies, please!

Post by flash900 »

I love my Spydies but wish they were all stonewashed.

Satin blades show everything -- dirt, fingerprints, food and any discoloration.

A large satin blade, like the SuperLeaf, needs wiping off every time I pick it up.

Just imagine the Techno or Southard without their stonewashing.

More stonewashing, please!
Spydies: Caly 3 & Jr.; Michael Walker; Dragonfly, 2 & G10; Delica 4, FFG, G10, & Wave; Endura G10 & Wave; Rookie; Ambitious, Persistence, Tenacious; Sage 1, 2, 3; CAT CF & G10; Chicago CF; Ladybug; Bradley; Manix 2, Blue & XL; Native 4, 5 & Forum; Balance; Rescue; Salt I & Pacific; D'Allara; Junior; PPT; SuperLeaf; Urban Safety Orange; Para 2; Matriarch 2 & Lil'; Techno; Southard; Tuffthumbz Sage 2 & Para 2 mods; Cuscadi Pingo; Domino; Slysz Bowie
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

I wonder what it would take to do your own? Rock tumbler and some gravel?

Ken
玉鋼
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

kbuzbee wrote:I wonder what it would take to do your own? Rock tumbler and some gravel?

Ken
Get some tumbler media.

Put in a plastic container like with a tight seal and put the blade with the media.

Then put in your washing machine with your laundry.
Invective

Post by Invective »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Get some tumbler media.
If you need a cheap media, I've found that a mix of small rocks that are easily found outside most houses work, as well as fish tank rocks. Also heard that using an oil is better than water since it's usually thicker. Old motor oil works well if you save that for some odd reason.
chuck_roxas45 wrote:Put in a plastic container like with a tight seal and put the blade with the media.
Also, make sure it's a sturdy thick plastic container with a matching lid. I was stonewashing my Cat (Spyderco Cat, not Mr. Meows) by hand in an plastic peanut butter container and after a few shakes the point had pierced the top a few times and started leaking all over. Sure glad I didn't throw it in the washing machine :D
chuck_roxas45 wrote:Then put in your washing machine with your laundry.
I've heard that wrapping it in an old towel and duct taping that together can help prevent leaks and help keep it from knocking up the inside of your washing machine too bad, but never tried it myself.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Invective wrote:If you need a cheap media, I've found that a mix of small rocks that are easily found outside most houses work, as well as fish tank rocks. Also heard that using an oil is better than water since it's usually thicker. Old motor oil works well if you save that for some odd reason.

Also, make sure it's a sturdy thick plastic container with a matching lid. I was stonewashing my Cat (Spyderco Cat, not Mr. Meows) by hand in an plastic peanut butter container and after a few shakes the point had pierced the top a few times and started leaking all over. Sure glad I didn't throw it in the washing machine :D

I've heard that wrapping it in an old towel and duct taping that together can help prevent leaks and help keep it from knocking up the inside of your washing machine too bad, but never tried it myself.
Very practical ideas here. :)
paladin

Post by paladin »

i've tried limestone gravel...don't work too well...turns out spydersteel is harder than gravel. Instead of stonewashing the steel, you wind up steel washing the stone. Chuck suggested ceramic tumbler media...now that's the ticket. Go to Harbor Fright and buy a rock tumbler, it works as well as the dryer method and is potentially less messy, they sell the media there as well.
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
Lo/Rez

Post by Lo/Rez »

Stainless steel media works really well for cleaning ammo brass. Not sure how well it would work in this application.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Thanks guys.

I know one thing... I'm not putting a jar of used motor oil in our washer, towelled and duck taped or not ;)

There usn't enough Jewlery on the planet to get me out of that dog house....

And saying 'but the guys on the forum said it would be okay' would only make things worse....

Harbor freight tumbler and media is a solid thought though.

Ken
玉鋼
Spyder-fan

Post by Spyder-fan »

I want to try stone washing, but I first need to buy a cheaper Spyderco to test it out on.
jon1all

Post by jon1all »

To the OP's original point... I would like to see more SW blades too. My Manix2 has a mild SW which is nice. Wouldn't mind if it was a bit more SW'd though. A SW Para2 would be VERY nice.... :)
Apparently, arachnophobia is not a condition from which I suffer.... :spyder:
------
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." (oops!)
--Thomas Jefferson
PLEASE VISIT MY BLOG >>>1all's Pub<<<
Invective

Post by Invective »

kbuzbee wrote:Thanks guys.

I know one thing... I'm not putting a jar of used motor oil in our washer, towelled and duck taped or not ;)

And saying 'but the guys on the forum said it would be okay' would only make things worse....

Ken
You don't have to throw it in the wash haha. What I did, being the young spry lad that I am, is just turned on an episode of Top Gear and shook my jar for an hour or so. One hour and a sore arm later, this was the result. Turned out a bit lighter than I wanted, but I can always re-stonewash t if I feel like it.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

kbuzbee wrote:Thanks guys.

Ken
Hehehe.

You might like to check this out.