Strong outdoor folder

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
scoprion

Strong outdoor folder

Post by scoprion »

Hi I'm after a strong folding knife with a blade length of roughly about 3.5 inches, it will be used when fishing, backpacking, camping and other outdoor stuff although I still take a few fixed blades when camping but when doing other stuff like fishing a fixed blade is just not very convenient so that's the reason for wanting a good strong folder, I've owned a Spyderco Tenacious before but id like to spend a bit more and get a better quality none Chinese knife but preferably no more than £100 but ill go over that if there's a really good knife.

I'm not too bothered about weight or lock type.

So what would you guys recommend as a good strong solid outdoor folder?
rg02

Post by rg02 »

Honestly, you can't beat a good fixed blade IMO

That being said, The military is what I would recommend......
-Ryan

-Techno, cruwear Mule, Dragonfly 2 FRN, Assist, Endura FRN ATS-55 SE, Endura SS aus-6 PE, Persistence(Wife's)
-Wicked Edge
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

If you're talking about stout durability knives like the Tuff and Bradley folder come to mind.

If you don't mind a bit of flex the Salt knives would be extremely good too and non-maintenance. FRN is nigh-unbreakable and H1 is very tough.
scoprion

Post by scoprion »

Blerv wrote:If you're talking about stout durability knives like the Tuff and Bradley folder come to mind.

If you don't mind a bit of flex the Salt knives would be extremely good too and non-maintenance. FRN is nigh-unbreakable and H1 is very tough.
The Bradley is pretty much what I'm looking for it looks very strong but their very expensive, their going for £150 and for a user I think its too expensive.

What are your opinions on the Manix 2, Native 5 and paramilitary 2
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

You might check out a Pacific Salt. FRN handles and no liners but between the water and sweat outside it would hold up quite well in those conditions.
dwong

Post by dwong »

Buck110 or Grayman Dua?
I see the atoms free and fine,That bubble like a sparkling wine; I see the songs Electrons sing,Jumping from ring to outer ring;
-Lister
scoprion

Post by scoprion »

Blerv wrote:You might check out a Pacific Salt. FRN handles and no liners but between the water and sweat outside it would hold up quite well in those conditions.
I like the concept of that but it looks a bit weak, I have a UKPK and to be honest it doesn't inspire confidence, I have no problem with popper maintenance so id prefer to have steel liners.
JD Spydo

Take Your Pick

Post by JD Spydo »

Well I can't say anything bad about a Buck model 110 because I sort of cut my teeth on Buck, Kabar and Queen knives before I met up with the Great Spyder Factory :cool:

But to me Spyderco has many superb folders that are well suited for rugged outdoor cutting jobs. The Military for instance is about a rugged of an outdoor knife as you can get. I do prefer the ones with the exotic steels myself>> my Mili has that XHP steel and I'm very satisfied with it.

My current EDC is a Spyderco C-60 Massad Ayoob model>> it is the newer Sprint Run they did a year or so ago with the updated G-10 handle. I've taken it everywhere with me and have never been disappointed.

I was thinking the other day that this current Sprint Run we've been blessed with is a winner in that category as well>> I'm talking about the C-54 big Calypso that they just released here about a month ago. I haven't gotten one yet but it's super high on my list.

Some of Spyderco's fixed blades I love for the outdoors are my older Temperance 1 model ( PE & SE) and the new Southfork.

There really wouldn't be anything wrong with having a couple of Endura models for outdoor jobs>> I would want a pair of them though and to have one in PE and one in full Spyderedge.

If you could find an older Chinook III model that would also be a cool outdoor folder.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Holland

Post by Holland »

paramilitary two, or bradley folder would be my choice
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
messer454

Post by messer454 »

Not sure what you will be using it for that you would not be confident with FRN. I have been carrying FRN for 20 years and have NEVER had one fail in any way. That being said...the Manix and Manix XL feel very strong to me.
"Be prepared.....It is more than a motto it is a way of life."

SpyderNation # 0019
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

messer454 wrote:Not sure what you will be using it for that you would not be confident with FRN. I have been carrying FRN for 20 years and have NEVER had one fail in any way.
I agree. FRN doesn't "feel" strong, but it is. I also like the idea of a PAC Salt (or Catcherman) for fishing due to the H1 steel.
scoprion wrote:The Bradley is pretty much what I'm looking for it looks very strong but their very expensive, their going for £150 and for a user I think its too expensive.

What are your opinions on the Manix 2, Native 5 and paramilitary 2
Those three are all great and very strong.

The Bradley is M4. Not stainless. For fishing I'd really encourage you to think strongly about H1, even though they are all FRN. You can't imagine the hell I've put my H1 Spyderhawks through and they are as sound as ever.

Ken
玉鋼
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

scoprion wrote:I like the concept of that but it looks a bit weak, I have a UKPK and to be honest it doesn't inspire confidence, I have no problem with popper maintenance so id prefer to have steel liners.
Everyone is welcome to an opinion. Just know there is a BIG difference between confidence inspiring and actual strength. Skyscrapers sway FAR more than brick buildings of 50+ years ago but they don't crumble in earthquakes.
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

I'd just take a lightweight knife that cuts like a dream and have a fixie along for just in case. Wait a minute, that's what I do. ;-)

Gordon
avocadobbq

Post by avocadobbq »

Take a look at the Endura. Long blade, lightweight, good stainless steel, and corrosion resistant handle material. All for a good price, although I don't know how much they go for in the UK.
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

If you can find a Superleaf. Get it!
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

The Manix 2 or a Superleaf I think that would be exactly what the doctor ordered.
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

If you can live without the point, the Breeden Rescue is great outdoor knife.
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

DRKBC wrote:The Manix 2 or a Superleaf I think that would be exactly what the doctor ordered.
+1. Both would fit your bill very nicely
nozh2002

Post by nozh2002 »

scoprion wrote:Hi I'm after a strong folding knife with a blade length of roughly about 3.5 inches, it will be used when fishing, backpacking, camping and other outdoor stuff although I still take a few fixed blades when camping but when doing other stuff like fishing a fixed blade is just not very convenient so that's the reason for wanting a good strong folder, I've owned a Spyderco Tenacious before but id like to spend a bit more and get a better quality none Chinese knife but preferably no more than £100 but ill go over that if there's a really good knife.

I'm not too bothered about weight or lock type.

So what would you guys recommend as a good strong solid outdoor folder?
First Manix was quite strong as well as Chinuk. New Manix is much weaker and has terrible lock, which is poorly designed and
produced - you need to modify it to be able to use. I do not think that Spyderco has any really strong folders now.

From other hand from your post I see you are not going to cut bricks with it, you actually need good reliable cutter not what
peple usually mean by "strong" folder and while Buck110 is in deed first what came to mind I would suggest Military, which is
I may say Buck110 of this millenium. But stay away from generic one with pathetic CPM S30V steel - waste of money.
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Ordering from the US can be a bit risky due to UK customs considering many Spydercos flick knives and confiscating them. It might be a good idea to register on British Blades (lots of good UK deals there and knowledge to be gained)

I'd get a Para2 or Military :D