New Tenacious

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
PaloArt

New Tenacious

Post by PaloArt »

Ladies and Gentlemen, I would like to hear some opinions on improving Tenacious design, how about more sleeker handle design? Already great knife I know, maybe too expensive for company to do some updates but nice to do some brainstorming. :D
“There's no friends like the old friends.” James Joyce, Dubliners
black

Post by black »

Very misleading thread title...
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

Hey Pavel,
I love the Tenacious.
I made micarta scales for one of mine, and left them a little thicker than the stock scales. I also contoured them slightly.
I think the thicker scales make the knife more comfortable in use.

I also added a textured back spacer, which adds a little grip.

I would also like to see one produced with the Anso pattern on the scales.
Just my .02
Later,
Don
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

p.jester84 wrote:Ladies and Gentlemen, I would like to hear some opinions on improving Tenacious design, how about more sleeker handle design? Already great knife I know, maybe too expensive for company to do some updates but nice to do some brainstorming. :D
Why? I already have a couple paras. ;)
BAL

Post by BAL »

The problem with modifying a knife such as a Tenacious, is that it takes it away
from what it is intended to be. An in-expensive alternative knife. That's my
opinion anyway. If you start to spend time modifying it, then there would have
to be better revisions, all of which adds to the price.

I understand what people means by wanting this or that knife modified or
made better, but you have to consider the factors. I like the Tenacious, I
have maybe 4. It's a good workhorse.

To me if you want a better knife then do like Chuck said and get a PM2 or similar.
paladin

Post by paladin »

You've made some major league improvements there, Don. I'm assuming the discoloration around the pivot is from lube, right? Looks good...an authentic user. So, in reply to OP, I've seen some pretty sweet Tenacious with pimped scales-I would start there. I also second Don's motion to have MORE Spyder models with Anso-type macro textured scales offered. A major selling point of the Zulu & Perrin that is always mentioned are the ergos and handle textures. Can you imagine a PM2 or Millie with factory Anso grips? An Anso Stretch would be the ultimate!!! I'd make my own but I don't want to void my Spyder warranty in the process :( ... if Sal & crew could provide them for me, my warranty would not be sacrificed...adios!
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
Donut

Post by Donut »

If we are dreaming, I would like to see Gayle Bradley style liners and lock used on it with the G-10 scales thinned out.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

ZDP-189 blade, ball bearing lock, Kershaw assisted opener, waved blade, flipper tang, sculpted g10, a spine made from a solid piece of tritium, a lanyard with a tiny stuffed animal fob.

GO! ;)
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Blerv wrote:ZDP-189 blade, ball bearing lock, Kershaw assisted opener, waved blade, flipper tang, sculpted g10, a spine made from a solid piece of tritium, a lanyard with a tiny stuffed animal fob.

GO! ;)

Excellent idea! :D
KnOeFz

Post by KnOeFz »

Only improvement it needs is the steel, maybe some s30v or vg10, nothing too exotic.
Oh, and some better quality screw so it'll survive being taken apart every now and then.
I do like the micarta scales above, very nice work!
:spyder: I don't mind going nowhere, as long as it's an interesting path. - Ronald Mabbitt
Holland

Post by Holland »

Blerv wrote:ZDP-189 blade, ball bearing lock, Kershaw assisted opener, waved blade, flipper tang, sculpted g10, a spine made from a solid piece of tritium, a lanyard with a tiny stuffed animal fob.

GO! ;)
Well played sir :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
PaloArt

Post by PaloArt »

Sorry for misleading thread name. Good point there is better screws. As some of you guys mentioned ordering para or similar, I had millie for example, just had to sell it. Once I had tenacious, what I disliked on it and on few other spydies - not fault of brand, just obviously my bad aesthetic feeling - when you use your knife, after year or two of use and sharpening it gets shorter, in case of some spydies it is more visible and not good looking - offcourse those are "just" knives and as tools they should be considered. On the other hand I like my tools/knives look nice even beat up, still sexy blades (hope somebody understands or maybe I am just weird). When looked at my tenacious after two years of everyday use, blade seemed really too short compared to handle. On some knives this is not so much visible - for example rat 1, CS voyager etc. So maybe better optical blade handle ratio (from design point of view). Hope I wrote it clear, not bullying knife or company, love spyderco for what they deliver and it is all those awesome blades :-) delica and michael walker lightweight laying next to my laptop.
“There's no friends like the old friends.” James Joyce, Dubliners
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Don,

I saw a YT by srjoben, mentioning a too narrow space for the pivot screw to rest/hold the handle slab. Do you find it true?
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

Hey anagarika,
I watched the vid you mentioned, and I looked at my two Tenacious'.
Mine are built the same way.
I used the factory scales as templates for making the micarta scales, so all the holes are the same size.
I've had no issues with the scales I made, or the scales on my black on black Tenacious.
Considering the strength of g10, and micarta for that matter, and the fact that the liners are backing the scale material, I don't think under normal use, that you would have any problems.
That said, if the knife was abused by prying, with enough force, one could probably compromise the scale material.
The value line of knives are certainly worth what you pay for them, and should stand up to normal use with little or no problems.
Later,
Don
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

The green , and blue limited tenacious have improved screws and maybe the black I have it but its hard to tell .
The tenacious looks great with wooden scales although they have to be stabilised and quite thin to allow the flexing of the liner lock.
I'm having one done in thuya as even paying somebody to do it its still $30 cheaper than a G10 military and its a pro modding company.
Although I'm uk based , I agree with the principle though its a cheaper knife unless we were talking £10 for us here or $20 .
Which maybe less acceptable given USA prices its be pointless although I'd love to see more liner locks on models from spyderco.
Going OT but there are models I probably won't buy because they have back locks and as far as I'm aware there is no make or break reason , why the design wouldn't work with a liner.
PGeo00

Post by PGeo00 »

How about keeping the same design, but making one a little bit smaller.... oh wait :p

Nice job on that micarta scales :cool:
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Don, thanks for the info! I have two Resiience an think they would be the same.
unseenone

Post by unseenone »

Better screws, rougher texture on the G10, and a higher secondary grind. I don't think it should cost that much more to do those few changes.