Delica 4 ffg vs. Manix 2 lightweight

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jalenc2

Delica 4 ffg vs. Manix 2 lightweight

Post by jalenc2 »

i was wondering which knife you would prefer for the typical EDC role. Is the ball bearing lock solid and how does it compare to the standard lockback in terms of lockup and strength?
Holland

Post by Holland »

Welcome to the forums! the ball bearing lock will be A LOT stronger and imo easier to use one handed. i strongly dislike lock backs because they all have vertical play when enough force is pushed on the blade. however im not a fan of the manix 2 either. if i was you, i would look at the chaparral one. Its more expensive but well worth it. and it cheap right now because it is being replaced with better steel. It is also a lock back but ill let you read this thread: http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... -mechanism

which shows why it cant develop any vertical play.

hope i helped a bit
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Shakyamuni

Post by Shakyamuni »

I prefer the lightweight manix because of the wire clip and the really strong lockup. It also gives you over .25" more blade and a better handle. However, it is wider in the pocket and has the wide leaf-shape blade which is not good for poking small holes in things.

Here's mine:
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Both would fit the bill nicely. Personally I feel like the Delica feels like the "nicer" knife, is a more classic Spyderco design, and has a higher quality steel (VG-10 vs. CTS BD-1). I like the feel of the Japanese-produced FRN better than the FRCP on the manix, and the Delica has nested stainless steel liners which I think give it a stiffer/firmer feel. And it's still lighter than the Manix. I love choils, but like some others on the forum didn't think the Manix choil quite did it for me.

On the other hand, the Manix is made in the US, has the wire clip and an innovative lock which may be easier to operate with one hand. I keep looking at them, now that they're available in black especially, but it's just not doing it for me. Yet, anyway.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

You're going to tell the difference in blade geometry far before the difference between the steels. Prior to that you will obviously notice the size difference, ergonomics, etc.

In a classic WWF match the Delica is Rowdy Roddy Piper and the Manix2 L/W is Andre the Giant. The only thing they share in common is fake wrestling and the organization they are members of.
Holland

Post by Holland »

Blerv wrote:You're going to tell the difference in blade geometry far before the difference between the steels. Prior to that you will obviously notice the size difference, ergonomics, etc.

In a classic WWF match the Delica is Rowdy Roddy Piper and the Manix2 L/W is Andre the Giant. The only thing they share in common is fake wrestling and the organization they are members of.
lol! i almost want to put this in my sig :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Holland wrote:lol! i almost want to put this in my sig :D
Haha! I miss those good ol' days. :(
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Blerv wrote:You're going to tell the difference in blade geometry far before the difference between the steels. Prior to that you will obviously notice the size difference, ergonomics, etc.

Ah, you youngsters. How about Tricky Ricky Starr vs Haystacks Calhoun. :p
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
VictorLouis

Post by VictorLouis »

What are YOUR EDC needs? Are you outdoorsy at all? Hunter, fisher, camper? The M2LW feels like a big strong knife, though lighter than it's brethern. The Delica is still going to get a tremendous amount done, despite the smaller size, and edge. As was mentioned...that Manix wide blade can be a detriment at certain things. Did my apple and tomato at work today with my CalyJr, the virtual twin in overall size to the Delica. While I'll also use my Stretch at the office, I'd really hesitate to deploy that M2LW, LOL.
Stretch VG10 FRN, Caly Jr. VG10 FRN.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

The Deacon wrote:Ah, you youngsters. How about Tricky Ricky Starr vs Haystacks Calhoun. :p
You think they're young? When I watched it was all about Triple-H/DX, Kane, and the Hardy Boys. ;)
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Back on topic, it depends on your needs and tastes. I''m not really a fan of either one, but the FFG Delica's strong points would be its compact size and slicing ability while the Manix 2 Lightweight offers more blade length and a low rider clip.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
GTPowers

Post by GTPowers »

Manix2 was my first. Still love it. Still use it. Still play with it.
Delica4 was my second. Its a coat knife now.

Depends on taste but, aforementioned, very different knives.
messer454

Post by messer454 »

Holland wrote:Welcome to the forums! the ball bearing lock will be A LOT stronger and imo easier to use one handed. i strongly dislike lock backs because they all have vertical play when enough force is pushed on the blade.
Intersting....I have both and find the Delica much easier to open because the hole is farther from the handle, and easier to close one handed thean the Manix light. I feel like the Manix is a heavier duty knife in theory at least due to the lock. However I have been carrying an Endura for 20 years and have never had one close. The "guard" on the Manix would prevent the finger from sliding up on the blade a little more than the Delica.

I agree with another post that the Manix handle feels cheaper. I prefer FRN.
"Be prepared.....It is more than a motto it is a way of life."

SpyderNation # 0019