Southard does not like me!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Stony

Post by Stony »

lbwheat wrote:The problem with loaning knives and tools is not that they don't come back it's the condition they they return in after being used to pound,pry and cut nails with.
As far as OP buying a nother knife, It's always a good time to buy another knife. Just hang on to them so the collection grows.
I was just teasing about a loaner, I usually rarely loan mine out. I have a pretty good assortment of knives and never had a problem until a few days ago, just always took it for granted that when it was clipped to the pocket I was good to go. I might start giving the inside of my clips a heavy sandblasting to provide a little more grip. Thanks for the idea Brok O Lee.

I have decided to pass on getting another Southard though, great knife though. Sal where is that Ti Native at, let's see if I can loose one of those. :D
PatCatMan

Post by PatCatMan »

Stony -
I know you said you are gonna pass on another Southard - I prob would also if that all happened to me - but I just got in my STR low rider clip today, and it is great for the knife!
Rides lower - less risk of it coming out of pocket / no annoying sharp point / and it sort of positions your hand differently when opening which actually makes it better ergo wise.

Something to think about :D
Pat
"You miss 100% of the shots you never take"
PMBohol

Post by PMBohol »

As a afterthought, I wonder if a small piece of G10 under the clip would help? Blend it in like they did with the lockbar over stop. That would add to the production costs for sure though. Another idea would be some grippy substance on the back side if the clip itself.

You hate to see anyone lose a nice knife like that.
Delica 4 FFG
Paramilitary 2 DLC Digicam
Brad Southard flipper (missing in action)
Sharpmaker
Gayle Bradley 2.
Gayle Bradley Air
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

It's happened to me.
Now I carry IWB, it works.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
Stony

Post by Stony »

Well I still have no Southard,no luck finding it. I am really in a situation as to buy another one or not, basically it comes down to three knives Southard, Techno, or wait on the Ti Native what to do. I know I will end up with one again sometime soon just trying to decide which will be priority.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Sorry to hear about your loss, Stony. :( I've been futunate not to have lost any knives just yet...

As for a replacement, may I humbly suggest the Techno? While I've never had the pleasure to own a Southard, the Techno has easily become one of my all-time favorite EDC's. Just my 2 cents.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Stony

Post by Stony »

SpyderNut wrote:Sorry to hear about your loss, Stony. :( I've been futunate not to have lost any knives just yet...

As for a replacement, may I humbly suggest the Techno? While I've never had the pleasure to own a Southard, the Techno has easily become one of my all-time favorite EDC's. Just my 2 cents.
Thanks for the advice, I have been leaning that way might just go ahead and do it.
Stony

Post by Stony »

Well I have another Southard coming, it was a hard choice between it or the Techno but ultimately I already knew the Southard is a knife that I really like so I bought a used one for a good price. Now to get a deep carry clip so this one does not decide too go MIA.

Still think I am going to order a Techno as well though.

So if you see a thread in a week or so that says "The Southard does not like me AGAIN!" You'll know I lost this one as well.
Stony

Post by Stony »

FOUND IT!!!!!!

I was changing out my driver side window regulator today and I saw it poking out from my driver side door console. Funny I looked between my drivers seat and center console and under the seats when I originally lost it. When I saw it setting there I thought to myself why would I put a knife there, then it hit me. As someone said earlier the prodigal Spydie has returned!

One down, one to go. I doubt I will find the first one I lost, but I could not be happier at the moment!
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

You are freaking lucky
Ignaz

Post by Ignaz »

What the heck? That is bad luck
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Stony, you need to get yourself a really long lanyard and tie those bad boys off directly to your body! You're back to having two Southards, an enviable situation for sure, but keep a tight grip on them!
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
mattman

Post by mattman »

Stony wrote:FOUND IT!!!!!!
Awesome!!

(report in when you find the other one, too.... :D )
Stony

Post by Stony »

Ha today was indeed lucky.... First thing I did was took the clip off and sand blasted the inside of it and gave it a little more bend for better retention. She rides pretty snug now in the pocket.
donutsrule

Post by donutsrule »

Congrats -- Get the STR deep clip for it now!