Anyone else not concerned much about blade steel?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Waco

Anyone else not concerned much about blade steel?

Post by Waco »

I figure any steel produced by Spyderco is going to do anything I ask of a knife pretty well. The only knife I picked because of the steel used was my Ladybug Salt SE.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I like to try different steels. Some tasks I had to do like when I had to cut a lot of boxes open during construction also made it necessary to use a wear resistant steel unless I wanted to sharpen a couple of times during the day.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I shop the model over all else. I hadn't snagged a Caly3 before it got dropped and jumped at the Super Blue sprint because its a pretty exclusive product relative to folders.

As for functional needs? Rarely it's a consideration except for what Chuck said. I still avoid cardboard if possible :) .
MachSchnell

Post by MachSchnell »

No, I like options :cool: .

Sometimes the design/ergos play a large role, but that's usually second to the steel of choice. And, unless you're doing a lot of slicing of abrasive medium all day long, it's not likely you'll see the benefits of a high performance steel during minimal daily carry tasks.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I think it's a fairly balanced issue for me. I think the different steels and their properties are really interesting, something to geek out about. I also like being able to tell people about the little design details that went into my knives. However, I probably spend more time concerning myself with steel on the various knife forums and blogs etc.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

The best analogy I can think of at the moment (I'm a bit tired) is that steel is kind of like coffee. If you're a connoisseur, there are an infinite number of varieties and mixes that you can use to experience that little bit of metallurgical bliss, and if you just need something to get the job done, pretty much anything will do as long as it's not watered down.

Oh, and then "some people like a coarse grind, some like it fine". That could be taken so many different ways.
nozh2002

Post by nozh2002 »

There is no much difference in steel performance if edge is dull already.
Most cuts average user do can be made with almost dull blade, it is matter
of force applied to cut. It is like if you need to drive to closest grocery store
you do not need Ferrari, Civic would be just fine.

I present once knife to my friend and after five years offer him to sharpen it.
He sad he do not need it - knife is sharp for his needs after 5 years!

In this terms average steel like CPM S30V or AUS8 will do just fine. Only concern
I have is to pay for Civic price of Ferrari (with same performance AUS8 way cheaper
then CPM S30V).

There are not too many jobs which need good steel performance - ability to stay very
sharp for reasonable time. Cutting tooling leather is one, cutting lots of paper (like
trimming books) - this is what I have to do time to time.

Also once I learn how to sharpen blade so it whittle hair I tent to enjoy this sharpness -
it just take almost no force to cut so it is kind of pleasant to do. so for me if blade can
only shave my arm - is too dull already. Only good steels can keep this sharpness, average
performers lose it too fast.

So I am not interested in not top performing steels.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I'm not so much concerned with steel types, as I'm never too long or far away from a sharpening stone - and my urban cutting chores are never that demanding. I do enjoy trying out new steels though.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 3-11-2024 Instagram
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Yes, and no. I have no interest in performance testing steels and don't have any need for a blade that will skin a dozen elephants without re-sharpening. I'll take a steel like VG-10, S30V, or even AUS-6 over steels that may hold an edge better, but are less stainless or non-stainless. If an attractive enough pattern was offered, I'd take stainless damascus over any monochromatic grey stainless even if the knife cost twice as much and didn't hold an edge quite as well as AUS-6.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
BAL

Post by BAL »

I understand what you mean waco. I think that for most people, it really doesn't
matter what "Spyderco" steel that they have for most cutting chores. If you worked
on an assembly line and had to cut cardboard (or whatever) routinely, then it definately
would matter.

Joshua's coffee comparison is a good one though. Many like different choices for
different reasons. Another factor might be that a person doesn't like to sharpen
(or maybe isn't good at it) and wants a blade that will stay sharp longer.

For me, it is one of the factors that I use to decide if I want a certain knife. There
are many other factors that I probably value higher though, but it is one.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Being able to try new steels is one of the best things about trying a new knife, to me. Do I need them? Definitely not, but I enjoy being able to try them.

I liked your coffee analogy too, Joshua!

Ken
玉鋼
dcoffe01

Post by dcoffe01 »

Different steels is a good excuse for buying multilples of a knife. Take the Para 2 for example.
wquiles

Post by wquiles »

I buy very few knives now, so I am very picky/selective. For me, in order:
- Made by Spyderco
- The steel used
- The design/application

To give you an idea, these are the only 3x knives in my rotation:
- ZDP-189 Dragonfly
- CTS-20PM PM2
- CF M390 Millie
Wanted: Superhawk - Found!
paladin

Post by paladin »

i've gotten jaded and spoiled by having so many great choices of supersteels...when considering a new purchase and looking over the stats I'll say to myself, "Well it's vg10, that's ok." Or, "S30V, that's ok I guess." The old carbon steels of my slipjoints, 440C, and Buck steels while still highly serviceable even today...come up a little short in most performance areas compared to even the most humble Spydersteels. I'm old enough to remember when we used to have to choose "Do I want something that will hold an edge or do I want something that won't rust, or do I want something easy to sharpen?" Today, its one stop shopping. I'm probably not thankful and mindful enough about the myriad choices we enjoy...but that's just me...Good theread, cheers!
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I wasn't a steel junkie until I got my first ZDP-189 blade - a Caly Jr. The hardness and edge retention really grabbed my attention. My main weekend carry blade is the 20CP Para2 - and that thing can take a ton of use with only minimal effect on the edge. What a great steel.

TedP
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I am not concern much with steel as long as it stainless. So far VG10, S30V, S35N were meeting my needs in edge retention and were manageable at sharpening. Probably I will try other steels, when Spyderco will make FFG Natives with them just to see, if I with my needs will see a difference.
Blerv wrote: I still avoid cardboard if possible :) .
Why? I use VG10, S30V and S35n to cut boxes. Sometimes blades still were able to shave, otherwise few minutes with sharpmaker would do the trick.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Blerv wrote: I hadn't snagged a Caly3 before it got dropped and jumped at the Super Blue sprint
Jumped? Really? Hm......

Ken: You need to try ths thing
Blake: I will
Ken: No, I mean now... While you can
Blake: I can't right now
Ken: No, really, you need this thing
Blake: yeah, I will, someday
Ken: I'm not kidding. It's awesome
Blake: I can't find one
Ken: sends URL
Blake: Fine. Okay. I got one...

More of a slow stroll than a jump.

Ken
玉鋼
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

I like to try different steels but in all honesty my day to day needs get covered by VG10 or CPMS30V easily. VG10 is actually my preferred steel for the general all round goodness it offers.

The actual knife is more important to me when I am looking at Spyderco. I haven't been let down by any of the steels on any of their knives.
v8r

Post by v8r »

Design and build quality are on the top of my list. I don't make my knife purchasing considerations just on blade steel only. I like having something unique that functions well and holds a decent enough edge for my uses. If a Spydie comes out in a cool design that has some kind of wonder steel than that's fine, but it's more about the design for me.
I feel Spyderco knows what they are doing and their heat treat far exceeds most companies so any steel they use is probably going to be good enough for me.
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

bh49 wrote:Why? I use VG10, S30V and S35n to cut boxes. Sometimes blades still were able to shave, otherwise few minutes with sharpmaker would do the trick.
I don't fear it just don't need to cut it much. If I can cut the tape it saves the edge and some time. Complete tear-down just hasn't been necessary.

kbuzbee wrote:Jumped? Really? Hm......

Ken: You need to try ths thing
Blake: I will
Ken: No, I mean now... While you can
Blake: I can't right now
Ken: No, really, you need this thing
Blake: yeah, I will, someday
Ken: I'm not kidding. It's awesome
Blake: I can't find one
Ken: sends URL
Blake: Fine. Okay. I got one...

More of a slow stroll than a jump.

Ken

HAHA!! Yes but jumping and being guilt-tripped are rapid movements. ;) . Thx for the peer pressure Ken!