Anyone else not concerned much about blade steel?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
v8r

Post by v8r »

Just thought of something......the peanut butter spreading action on the bread could actually strop the edge.
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

Greaser wrote:I don't know what kind of women you guys are running around with, but I know my wife wouldn't be interested in making out with me if I was waving a knife around in the air.
It is all part of the plan, first step is the mistletoe handles, the next step is replacing the nitrogen in the steel with the required pheromones. It is a long process and quite involved, but we Holly scientists never shy away from worthwhile goals.

kbuzbee wrote:Can I have your discards, Cliff? I'm planting a hedge.
At this stage they are quite volatile. I made the mistake, rather obvious in reflection, of breeding in flax as I was thinking you could always just eat the handle of your knife in an emergency, but I forgot that when you hybridize such plants the ratio has to be doubled due to the number of phenotypes and thus ended up with twice the amount of inherent oils. The wood thus now not only burns really well but is prone to polymerize on its own and thus can self-combust, which is probably not the best idea. Though it does make for some interesting gardening. I think I may have just invented the sport of extreme weeding.

In regards to blade steels, 14C28N would be a steel I would like to see in some kitchen knives (or the equivalent from Carpenter who Spyderco seems to be working with). This steel is an attempt to achieve the corrosion resistance of 12C27 and the hardness of 13C26 in the same steel by using nitrogen. I would be really nice to see that steel as it would be even more of the things I like in MBS-26.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Donut wrote:Yes, just to make you jealous. :)
you achieved your goal :)
kbuzbee wrote:Yep, Native 5 or Caly 3 for my "big" knife, most days.
Ken
Native5 is my "big knife" for about a week. I am keeping my EDC knives on the counter. Sometime last week I forgot my Persian at home on my desk. I realized that at work and thought that I need to put back on the counter, but keep forgetting. Native5 cuts everything anyway.

BTW, I never liked peanut butter, but it looks like that i am going to try again
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
BAL

Post by BAL »

PMBohol wrote:I'm trying to figure out what a holly scientist is.
I think that it is a song by Dio.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

David Lowry wrote:I didn't used to be. I used to accept VG-10 and 154CM as "just fine". After I tried CPM-M4, CPM-D2, and ZDP-189 and saw what they could do......it was all over. There is a ZDP-189 Delica in my pocket right now. I'm just blown away at what I can cut and how long those steels will go without needing to be sharpened when compared to VG-10 and 154CM. Sounds dumb, but I cut through a CAT-5 network cable with a VG-10 Delica. The edge looked rolled or blunted afterwards. I did the same with a ZDP-189 Delica and it still looked like new. Stuff is unreal.
^^^^ This !
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

elena86 wrote:^^^^ This !
Wow, this thread got off-track. ;) I agree with David, sort of. To pick an example, my first-year Benchmade 710 has an ATS-34 blade that was regarded as rocket science at the time and still cuts and holds an edge pretty darned well. Advances like S90V, properly hardened CPM-M4 and a few others really raised the bar, though. Do I need that performance? Honestly, probably not, but since I can, I want it. :D
PMBohol

Post by PMBohol »

BAL wrote:I think that it is a song by Dio.
I guess I'm too old. I have no idea who that is.

This thread went from blade steels to free education from the government. Of course I will be the first to say that nothing is ever free.

Someone seems to have a chip on their shoulder. Would DMT take care if that?
Delica 4 FFG
Paramilitary 2 DLC Digicam
Brad Southard flipper (missing in action)
Sharpmaker
Gayle Bradley 2.
Gayle Bradley Air
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

v8r wrote:Just thought of something......the peanut butter spreading action on the bread could actually strop the edge.
Peanut butter with .05μ diamond dust in it. Super crunchy! ;)
Cliff Stamp wrote: I think I may have just invented the sport of extreme weeding.
Just remember, mulch is your friend!

But seriously, I need like 28 holly plants. Female. I have plenty of males to keep them happy ;) I've got some propagation cuttings set out right now but holly cuttings last so danged long, I have no idea if they are growing, or just still green ;)

Ken
玉鋼
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

kbuzbee wrote:Peanut butter with .05μ diamond dust in it. Super crunchy! ;)

Ken
Polished edge teeth too. :D
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Polished edge teeth too. :D
For extra thick bacon! Yum!

Ken
玉鋼
nozh2002

Post by nozh2002 »

PMBohol wrote:I guess I'm too old. I have no idea who that is.

This thread went from blade steels to free education from the government. Of course I will be the first to say that nothing is ever free.

Someone seems to have a chip on their shoulder. Would DMT take care if that?
*Edited*

I seriously doubt that DMT will be able to fix it.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Lets play a drinking game. Every time Nozh brings up Russia in any way we take a shot. Also whenever he takes a petulat stab at someone or at S30v.

Bottoms up!
nozh2002

Post by nozh2002 »

nozh2002 wrote:*Edited*
Back in USSR it was called censorship. And US was telling us from other side of the Ocean - it is sooooo bad.... soooooo totalitarian...... yak!

Congrats! Bottoms up comrades!
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Nozh,
This is our forum. Spyderco's forum. You can disagree all you'd like but do so in a mature manner without insulting others. You can discuss things and vehemently disagree if so you choose without insulting others.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Blerv wrote:Lets play a drinking game. Every time Nozh brings up Russia in any way we take a shot. Also whenever he takes a petulat stab at someone or at S30v.

Bottoms up!
I'd be under the table pretty soon. :D

Na sdarovie!
nozh2002

Post by nozh2002 »

TazKristi wrote:Nozh,
This is our forum. Spyderco's forum. You can disagree all you'd like but do so in a mature manner without insulting others. You can discuss things and vehemently disagree if so you choose without insulting others.

Kristi
Well, I did not insult anybody. If you put back what I was saying it will be pretty clear.
Now when you removed it - it is easy to blame me in whatever you want. Isn't it?

I guess this is quite convenient for you to remove posts and then accuse me of insults.

However I am very familiar with this kind of reaction. You just can not face what I am
saying. And even I was not insulting anyone - you rush to remove it, because you know
I am right and that scare you.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Nozh,
I'm not going to argue with you. It's simple really. Participate without insulting others. Stay on topic. Just for the record, I removed it from public view. I don't need to put it back, my opinion won't change. End of discussion.

Edited to add - Nozh, nothing about you, or what you say scares me. I just simply have more important things to do than to look after you. You participate here by choice. It's not a public forum, it's Spyderco's forum.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

nozh2002 wrote:Well, I did not insult anybody. If you put back what I was saying it will be pretty clear.
Now when you removed it - it is easy to blame me in whatever you want. Isn't it?

I guess this is quite convenient for you to remove posts and then accuse me of insults.

However I am very familiar with this kind of reaction. You just can not face what I am
saying. And even I was not insulting anyone - you rush to remove it, because you know
I am right and that scare you.
Hilarious! You really would make a good stand up comedian. :D
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

^^^
I am a junior member here, but why is Nozh fella always like this?

Dobra utra previet dudesky, why you so mad all the time?
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

FCM415 wrote:^^^
I am a junior member here, but why is Nozh fella always like this?
*Edited*