HELP NEEDED! Need help with a companion knife choice

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Humint

HELP NEEDED! Need help with a companion knife choice

Post by Humint »

I have a Spyderco Military on the way and I need help with a companion knife. I always carry (at least) 2 knives on me and with the Military on its way I need advice on what else I should carry to compliment it. I plan on carrying and using the Military only in emergencies (be it when I need a longer blade or if I run out of bullets for self-defense) with that said, I would like to carry another Spyderco that would fill the role of the edc knife that I will do the majority of cutting with (breaking down cardboard, using it in public, cutting packages open, zip ties, etc). I do not want it to be too close in size or intended use as the Military. So far I am looking at the following:

-Caly 3 Super Blue (although I am worried it may be closer in size to the Military than others listed)
-Spyderco Chaparral
-Spyderco Sage 1

I absolutely love the Endura 4 but that is definetly too close in size to the Military. My least favorite Spyderco is the Delica as the ergonomics are just too cramped/wrong for me. Weird since the Dragonfly 2 works well ergonomically for me but is just a little short in the blade.

So first out of the above 3 which would you choose? Second, if there are any others you think I should look?

and as a side note (and I realize this may be blasphemy - I do not care for the Paramilitary 2, I have had 4 of them and could never warm up to them)

Thanks in advance!
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Giving an overdue bump due to a hang up in our less-than-perfect filter...

Humint,
My apologies for the delay. I've been out of the office sick this week and I missed your post. Welcome to the Spyderco forums. We hope you enjoy your time with us!

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
messer454

Post by messer454 »

I make no excuses that the Endura is my favorite. I see what you are saying about close to the Military and wanting a smaller knife for around people though. I have a Stretch in ZDP that will be here any day that I am hoping will feel a little better in my hand than the Delica. I don't have any you listed. Good luck with the search.
"Be prepared.....It is more than a motto it is a way of life."

SpyderNation # 0019
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Neither the Delica or Endura do anything for me, but lots of folks love them.

Of those three, I'd go Caly 3 SB. One of my favorite EDC knives. I'd not say it was too close to your Mili is size. I don't carry any Milis, I just find them too large for what I do.

My son carries a Sage CF and loves it.

I don't own a Chap yet, but I will. One day soon ;) Again, they get a lot of love.

Honestly, all good choices.

Ken
玉鋼
JD Spydo

Harpy or Hawkbill of your choice makes a perfect companion blade

Post by JD Spydo »

I going to preach this until somebody listens and discovers what I did :rolleyes: Spyderco's Hawkbill blades make a perfect companion blade to go with your regular/conventional blade that you routinely EDC ( Every Day Carry).

For me the past few years it's been the G-10 Harpy until it got lost or stolen a while back. However while I've been on a quest for a replacement G-10 Harpy I've been using my full Spyderedged H-1 Spyderhawk and it's been a superb companion blade.

But when I can get either another G-10 Harpy or a full SE Carbon Fiber Harpy then I will immediately go back to the one I love the most.

To me it only makes perfect sense to have a companion blade that is capable of jobs that your regular EDC conventional PE folder may not be. I've found so many mean cutting jobs that the Harpy and Spyderhawk can do with ease compared to most conventional folders.

I've also had another interesting companion blade I've been carrying for the past 3 months and that is my C-111 Captain. That bad boy is capable of a lot of jobs that a regular folder isn't :cool:
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Holland

Post by Holland »

the chap is my favourite of the ones you listed. its the smallest, best slicer, and the only one that cant get vertical blade play
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Holland wrote:the chap is ... the only one that cant get vertical blade play
Okay, I'm curious. Why?

Ken
玉鋼
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Why not just use the Military for EDC? Or get a 2nd one and use one for cardboard and one for stabbing people? If I were backed against a wall I'd rather grab a knife that I've used thousands of times.
All God's critters have knives.
Holland

Post by Holland »

kbuzbee wrote:Okay, I'm curious. Why?

Ken
http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... -mechanism
-Spencer

Rotation:
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

My favorite companion knife is a FRN Ladybug. I've never had anyone become squeamish around it and never really needed more knife for normal tasks.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Ah, thanks. I was thinking you meant because it was a back lock but the Caly is too. I don't own a Chap yet and forgot they'd rejiggered the lock.

Ken
玉鋼
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Holland wrote:the chap is my favourite of the ones you listed. its the smallest, best slicer, and the only one that cant get vertical blade play
I see what you mean compared to the Caly3 but the Sage1 has the tang trapped between the lock bar and a stop-pin.
Holland

Post by Holland »

Blerv wrote:I see what you mean compared to the Caly3 but the Sage1 has the tang trapped between the lock bar and a stop-pin.
blonde moment :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
avocadobbq

Post by avocadobbq »

JD Spydo wrote:I going to preach this until somebody listens and discovers what I did :rolleyes:
You're entitled to your opinion, but don't get upset if people don't listen to what you're saying. Especially if it isn't relevant to the question asked.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying your input isn't welcome or helpful.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Ladybug/Manbug. Military for big jobs, Bug for when it's not a good idea to whip out the Military. It's a better match than you might expect.

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Holland

Post by Holland »

nice edges evil!
-Spencer

Rotation:
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

SE Cricket for me.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Colin

Post by Colin »

I love my Zulu. It's great for every task I ask from it. It does have a few hot spots if you are not holing it correctly or working against it but the steel, build and design qualities are 2nd to none. It is fair to say it takes a bit of learning to use but it quickly becomes an extension of your hand. Personally, I removed the clip. I have had my eye on a Sage 1 for a while and it is next on my list after I get either the Chicago, cat or dragonfly 2.
Medics do it 90 times a minute!
araneae

Post by araneae »

The chaparral is a good choice, it might be my favorite knife for casual use. Personally, I might go with a Manbug as it is a perfect non-threatening knife to accompany the Military which many people will view as huge. I also tend to want to have something in SE on me. A ladybug hawkbill fills the bill much of the time for me.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

avocadobbq wrote:You're entitled to your opinion, but don't get upset if people don't listen to what you're saying. Especially if it isn't relevant to the question asked.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying your input isn't welcome or helpful.
Being politically correct or thin-skinned hasn't stopped JD on any of his previous 8590 posts. :rolleyes:

TedP