20 years Every Day Carry with a single Spyderco! with Pics

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
messer454

20 years Every Day Carry with a single Spyderco! with Pics

Post by messer454 »

20 year of Every Day Carry with a Spyderco ENDURA!!!

In 1986 or 1987 Officer Paul V. from my department saw an advertisement for a Spyderco knife in a Police magazine. He and some of the guys liked the idea behind having a knife clipped to your pocket capable of being opened by one hand with a serrated edge. The old standby at the time in my neck of the woods was almost exclusively a Buck 110 or knock off of similar design worn in a pouch on the duty belt. It was heavy and almost always took two hands to open. Officer Paul also owned a smoke shop in town and through his business applied for and became a Spyderco dealer.

Fast forward to January 1996 when I was hired. Almost every officer was carrying a Spyderco in my department. Almost everyone carried the serrated Endura. A couple of officers did have Police models but I only recall one officer carrying it on or off duty. When I came on the scene Sergeant Tom C. was carrying a serrated Endura. In recent conversations with him, he recalls that he purchased it in 1990 or 1991. Now that would not be very spectacular because just like I said, almost every officer was carrying one. However most of those officers either damaged the knife, broke the plastic clip, bought a newer “better” knife (maybe one with G-10 handles or a liner lock they have to be better right?), or upgraded to a newer Spyderco. I must confess that I myself have bought and carried the newest generation every time a new FRN Endura version came out. Not so Sergeant, then Lieutenant, now Deputy Chief Tom. Deputy Chief Tom prefers to spend his hard earned money on golf clubs (weird right?). However if he was like me then you would not be reading this long narrative. You see Deputy Chief Tom has been carrying this same first Generation Endura for 20 years every day both on and off duty and it is his ONLY pocketknife!!

This came to my notice lately because I heard that another officer who forgot his knife had borrowed Deputy Chief Tom's to actually cut open property on the witness stand. Apparently it was not very sharp so I went to make fun of the Deputy Chief. I then learned that he had lost the knife for about a month* and was almost ready to order a new one when the snow melted where he parks his car at home. It seems that it came unclipped and fell in the snow and he had only found it days before the witness stand incident. He claimed that the exposure to the elements must have caused the dullness. I let that one slide and offered to sharpen it for him and he accepted.

I noticed that after all those years and being buried in the snow for a week that there was almost no rust anywhere in the lock. Here are some pics of the 20 year old Every Day Carry Endura after I sharpened it. Oh yeah, I almost forgot…..he thinks he paid $25 for it and agrees that he has gotten his money’s worth. Thanks Spyderco for making knives that stand the test of time.

*Edit 2/25: DC Tom read this today and corrected me. It had been in the snow and the gutter for a MONTH not a week!

Messer454/SpyderNation #19
"Be prepared.....It is more than a motto it is a way of life."

SpyderNation # 0019
DedRok

Post by DedRok »

Wow, lets get this man a new Endura!
Spyderco please make a wire clip version of the Manbug/Ladybug!
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Awesome story! Thanks for sharing.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Epic pocket dump! Nice knife and thanks for sharing. I am hoping that one of these days I will be able to pass my Spydies to my children with stories of how I acquired and used them and of the forumites here.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Holland

Post by Holland »

i love threads like this! thanks for sharing
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Yes, awesome! Thanks for sharing.
- best wishes, Jazz.
jah

Post by jah »

Thanks for sharing the story. I have EDC'd a Delica with molded clip since the mid 90's. More accurately, I have abused/carried two since the mid-90's. Broke the tip on one, still carrying number two, have number three in reserve.
Would love a "sprint" run of the molded clip Delica :)
http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... highlight=
Jerry
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

Cool story..
My Spydies: Sharpmaker • Tasman Salt • Saver Salt • Ladybug Hawkbill Salt • Salt 1 • Blue/Gray Meerkat • Burgundy Meerkat • Manix2 Ltwt Translucent Blue • Manix2 Ltwt Blacked Out • Manix2 Backlock • Ladybug 1 Red • Blue UKPK • Tusk • Blue Lava • Dog Tag • Bug • Honeybee • Grasshopper • Stepped Ti Chaparral • McBee • AEB-L Urban
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Pretty amazing. Nice of you to sharpen it for him. I understand that sharpening se can be difficult.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Wow fun! Thx for sharing :D
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Thank you for taking time to tell the tale and keep Deputy Chief Tom's Endura in good working order for him. He should set the next appointment for 2033. :)
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

The lack of blade material or anything but Spyderco and Seki-Japan agree with your story of this being from pre-1994 or so, according to details shard in another thread recently. Nice knife!
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

cool :)
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
Raylas

Post by Raylas »

*in my best Tim Roth voice* Is that what I think it is..... It's beautiful.... :D
Ragman24

Post by Ragman24 »

Awesome story.The Endura rules!
Donut

Post by Donut »

That's a nice Endura. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!

Post by 224477 »

Great story, the knife looks you have been taking good care of it.
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

Gotta love this story, right?

Tod
Gomer: Goober says 'Hey!'
Andy: Hey to Goober.
Spyder-fan

Post by Spyder-fan »

I thought carrying a Spyderco Rookie for 10 years was a long time. Great story.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Quite nice :)
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]