Thinking about buying sprint run para 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
IIR3C0ILII

Thinking about buying sprint run para 2

Post by IIR3C0ILII »

http://www.cutleryshoppe.com/para-milit ... cales.aspx I can't decide between this or the southerd flipper where they are so similar in price. this is the only para 2 i can find new online.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I would go with the sprint myself. You can always sell it if you change your mind.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

At a similar price, the Southard is what I would get: better steel (204P), better materials (titanium), and more unique (flipper). The brown Para 2 is okay, but unless you want it specifically for the brown scales, it isn't that spectacular of a sprint. That brown S35VN sprint seems a bit overpriced compared to the regular production version, which is cheaper and uses virtually the same steel (from a user standpoint).
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

I agree. S35VN is almost the same as S30V, which is in the regular production model and is about $80 cheaper.

jabba359 wrote:At a similar price, the Southard is what I would get: better steel (204P), better materials (titanium), and more unique (flipper). The brown Para 2 is okay, but unless you want it specifically for the brown scales, it isn't that spectacular of a sprint. That brown S35VN sprint seems a bit overpriced compared to the regular production version, which is cheaper and uses virtually the same steel (from a user standpoint).
michaelm466

Post by michaelm466 »

+1 for the Southard, I have both actually (only have the S35VN PM2 because I've gotten all the other sprints so far and I happened to see it for $104 otherwise I probably wouldn't have if it would have been more than $120) The Southard and PM2 are both great knives, but you get more cool/expensive features (ball bearing pivot, titanium, super steel, etc) with the Southard (that's why the Southard is a $200+ knife and the PM2 is a $100 knife and are both great in their respective categories) If it was the S90V/CF sprint that was the same price as the Southard or at least the M390/Blue one I'd say get the sprint first probably and you can always get the Southard down the road since it's regular production.
IIR3C0ILII

Post by IIR3C0ILII »

I'm gonna wait on the para 2 until i can find the camo one. I'm pulling the trigger today on the flipper, hope i dont regret it.
stuattpoul

Post by stuattpoul »

did you find it online...
Donut

Post by Donut »

That price is a little high for the Brown Para. The street price when they were commonly available was around $140. If you really want a brown para, I would look for someone selling one on the secondary market to get one more reasonably priced.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Spyder-fan

Post by Spyder-fan »

Good choice going with the Southard until the S30v versions are back in stock.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

If I remember correctly Brown Para2 is not a sprint, but distributor exclusive. Which means that quantities are not limited to one run and the distributor can reorder it. I believe that this knife was already hit the market twice. Also IMHO price looks like too steep.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
black

Post by black »

bh49 wrote:If I remember correctly Brown Para2 is not a sprint, but distributor exclusive. Which means that quantities are not limited to one run and the distributor can reorder it.
That's exactly was i was going to say. You are correct.
kbrouwer

Post by kbrouwer »

Yeah, I don't like brown G10 but if you like it I'd go ahead, there is a huge market for Spyderco Sprint Runs ESPECIALLY Paramilitary 2s, if you don't like it you will have no trouble selling it for equal or even more value.
:spyder: :spyder: Kirk Brouwer :spyder: :spyder:
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Southard for sure. I love the Para 2, but I think the flipper will give you the most features for your dollar!
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

I'd tend to agree with my colleagues above...Southard...but it's a tough choice. Have both, really like both, would prefer not to choose! :D :spyder:
IIR3C0ILII

Post by IIR3C0ILII »

i put the flipper off until taxes come in and pulled the trigger on the para 2 sprint. One thing that threw me off for now on the southard flipper is the made in taiwan deal. I know it still has awesome materials but i'd of liked it to come from the u.s. that being said though i am still ordering it in about 2 weeks when i get my taxes.
IIR3C0ILII

Post by IIR3C0ILII »

I also think i am going to speak to tuffthumbz off of youtube and see if he would do some custom work on the flipper when i get it. i'd like to change the color scheme of the g10 and possibly anodize the titanium.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Wow. I was totally wrong haha.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
MachSchnell

Post by MachSchnell »

That's steep for the brown Para, I'd rather go with a regular production model for around $100 if/when production catches back up.
I like the look of the Southard, but the price tag of over $200 puts me off.

Really a tough decision.
Quillan

Post by Quillan »

I appreciate "Made in USA" sentiments, but Taiwan-made Spydiestuff is generally outstanding in quality. I like to believe that if Sal and Eric could manufacture a knife in the USA versus offshore, and remain price competitive, they would do so in a heartbeat. That's the world we live in.

Re the Southard...I live in Vancouver BC, about 6 blocks from WarriorsandWonders...so I am absolutely privileged to be able to handle and see all these amazing knives firsthand, before purchase. I haven't handled the Southard yet, but I sure can this weekend, if people would care to hear my impressions of the blade....it does look like a beauty, doesn't it?
IIR3C0ILII

Post by IIR3C0ILII »

what do you mean you were wrong?