Obscure, Hidden & Little Known About Spyderedged Classics

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Obscure, Hidden & Little Known About Spyderedged Classics

Post by JD Spydo »

As many of you know I am a devout fan of the Spyderedged blades and the Hawkbill blades made by Spydercol>> and as far as I'm concerned Spyderco really doesn't have any serious competition in either one of those sectors>> at least that I'm currently aware of.

With so many of you all here in Spyderville that have been here less than 3 years or so there are a lot of the older classic full Spyderedged models that many of you here now are not yet aware of. There are a lot of hidden Spyderedged classics that were at one time available but have disappeared that I dearly miss.

For instance I bet many of you had no idea that at one time they made the "JD Smith", The C-50 Centofante, The Lum Chinese and the Dodo all in full Spyderedge. But there are many more great models of years gone by that were at one time available in Spyderedge.

But some of you that have been around here for a while do indeed know about a lot of the hidden Spyderedged classic models that were at one time offered up in full Spyderedge (not combo edge). For instance the Titanium ATR was available at one time in full SE.

So let's talk about some of those lost, hidden Spyderedged Classics shall we. Also there was one very popular fixed blade that was available for a short time in Spyderedge but few know about it. OK Let talk TEETH shall we :D :spyder: ??
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I've always been fond of a ful SE Police in SS. Might just be because of the Training Day movie though LOL.

If I'm going to have SE, I want as much blade as possible to get the most teeth possible, so I would personally stick with the Endura/Police/Mlitary/Salts etc. Hawkbills for me take a niche edge and make it even more niche, but the two combined are extremely effective. I just don't have many EDC uses for either one.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:I've always been fond of a ful SE Police in SS. Might just be because of the Training Day movie though LOL.

If I'm going to have SE, I want as much blade as possible to get the most teeth possible, so I would personally stick with the Endura/Police/Mlitary/Salts etc. Hawkbills for me take a niche edge and make it even more niche, but the two combined are extremely effective. I just don't have many EDC uses for either one.
That's interesting that you bring up the Police model "Evil D" because I'm wondering if it might be the very first model that was offered up in Spyderedge??? Or it might have been the C-01 Worker model?? The Police really isn't a hidden Spyderedged Classic because it's still available and still available in full Spyderedge.

But few people now a days know that the first runs of the little brother to the Police model i.e. The Rookie was at one time offered up in full SE.>> but I don't think that the newer, more recent Rookie model was at all>> at least that I'm aware of.

But the POLICE model is truly one of the most flagship models and I hope always will be available in the future.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I enjoyed the ergos of the Nishijin sprint R model so much that I sought out an original version. I landed on one in full SE and I'm a fan, although it seems not many people agree with me when it comes to the R model.
Onionman

Post by Onionman »

When I first started collecting Spydies, the SE models must have been on the outs because I got so many great deals on older models with full SE. I have the full SE JD Smith as well as the SE Police SS. The Smith is new in box, so I have been hesitant to use it, but I love the Police and do carry it occasionally. Also, just bought a full SE Goddard with the micarta handle. Serrations were pretty banged up when i got it, but an hour or so on the sharpmaker have them slicing paper. I have no issues carrying SE knives and have yet to be confronted with the situation where my SE did not function as well as a PE.
The important thing was that I had an onion tied to my belt, which was the style at the time. You couldn't get white onions, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
JD Spydo

Original R model in full SE

Post by JD Spydo »

tvenuto wrote:I enjoyed the ergos of the Nishijin sprint R model so much that I sought out an original version. I landed on one in full SE and I'm a fan, although it seems not many people agree with me when it comes to the R model.
That's interesting that you bring up the "R" model>> I'm talking about the original skeletonized version with the ATS-34 blade. Few people know that the original R knife was available in full Spyderedge. It may be one of the most rare fully serrated Spyderco models period.

The original "R" itself is pretty hard to come by but they are really a tough find in full Spyderedge.
v8r

Post by v8r »

was there ever a full Se Native 2? If so I have never seen one, and would be fairly rare.
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
rycen

Post by rycen »

Native SS aka native 2 wasn't made in full SE.
We would rather be the knife in your pocket, because is "works" better, than the knife in your showcase, because it "looks" better.

sal
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

I didn't know there was a full SE Goddard made Onionman.
There is a full SE Viele, one of which I own by default. I wanted the PE Viele & there was a pair, SE & PE for sale as a pair. I have never used the SE Viele except to marvel at how such a refined knife can become so angry animal by the addition of teeth. IMHO those teeth belong some places like, him belong long time Spyderhawk, Dyad, Ayoob & H1 salt's. No belong Viele, Persian Or Jess Horn. Actually could you even imagine a Persian in SE. Sorta be like the Queen of England In Rugby shorts :eek:
O.
Murdoc

Post by Murdoc »

JD Spydo wrote:That's interesting that you bring up the Police model "Evil D" because I'm wondering if it might be the very first model that was offered up in Spyderedge??? Or it might have been the C-01 Worker model?? The Police really isn't a hidden Spyderedged Classic because it's still available and still available in full Spyderedge.
Well, I do think, too, that the C01 Worker was the first one available with SE, from the very beginning, but I might have to re-check. Isn't that mentioned in the Spyderco Book?

Heck, the Worker is anything but "obscure" or "hidden", but newer members maybe don't even know the C01 at all, regardless of edge, so here we go anyway:

cheers
Dennis
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

O,just,O wrote:I didn't know there was a full SE Goddard made Onionman.
There is a full SE Viele, one of which I own by default. I wanted the PE Viele & there was a pair, SE & PE for sale as a pair. I have never used the SE Viele except to marvel at how such a refined knife can become so angry animal by the addition of teeth. IMHO those teeth belong some places like, him belong long time Spyderhawk, Dyad, Ayoob & H1 salt's. No belong Viele, Persian Or Jess Horn. Actually could you even imagine a Persian in SE. Sorta be like the Queen of England In Rugby shorts :eek:
O.
Thanks "O" :) That Viele model was another one from the late 90s I was trying to think of that was offered up in full SE. Many of those premium folders were during that particular era.

And thank you MURDOC :) I appreciate the nice pic of the full SE C01 Worker model. What I meant by Rare & Obscure isn't necessarily that there wasn't a lot of them around at one time. But since all that time has elapsed we are seeing fewer and fewer of them all the time. So from that perspective they are rather obscure and not plentiful by any means.

As far as the fully Serrated Goddard model. I do remember seeing one on Ebay ages ago and I've also seen one at one of J. Bruce Voyles knife auctions some time back. That model may be even more rare than the original "R" model in full SE
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I don't own one but always appreciated the Paramilitary SE. Seems like the serrated Lil Temp; a real little beast :) .
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

How bout this one?

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... post480812

:D

Seriously, I think the older AUS-8 SE Mariner's were probably some of the oldest and least seen? These or the GIN-1 versions with the handle drain may be amongst the hidden ones!
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
JD Spydo

Lil Temperance SE: Few of them out there

Post by JD Spydo »

Blerv wrote:I don't own one but always appreciated the Paramilitary SE. Seems like the serrated Lil Temp; a real little beast :) .
Well Blerv you got an "inside the park HOME RUN" with that one :cool:

Yes I did at one time have a black bladed Paramilitary in full SE. Another trade regret to add to some more I can name off.

But the one where you really tagged the ball is when you mentioned the serrated Leaf Blade Lil Temperance>> Because to tell you the truth I"ve owned many of the Lil T models and I've had at least 3 of the Rhino Horns but I've never seen one of them serratted :(

But the full SE Leaf Blade Lil T is truly a super classic in every sense. The Paramilitary in SE is a beast but the SE Lil T is GODZILLA :D with a short blade
buckthorn

Post by buckthorn »

My first three Spydercos were: Worker (three screw, square edges) Co-Pilot (brass liners) and Executive, all full serrated.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

buckthorn wrote:My first three Spydercos were: Worker (three screw, square edges) Co-Pilot (brass liners) and Executive, all full serrated.
Hey, Buckthorn! I also have one of the SE Co-Pilots with brass liners. Great little knives, and for a while, you could carry them onboard airplanes! Whoo hoo!

JD - I always like reading your threads. You start some really interesting and enjoyable discussions. Thank you!

TedP
Chipped Karambit

Post by Chipped Karambit »

tuffram civilian! my favorite
Raylas

Post by Raylas »

My personal favorite would have to be the SE G10 Police. I LOVE that thing. I actually got into SE knives because I find it easier to sharpen them on the sharpmaker, and I loved the enhanced edge retention and cutting ability. Nice thing about SE blades: Even when getting dull, you can still cut stuff in a pinch. I like that. Also, I think a serrated edge done properly is a thing of beauty, the gentle flowing lines.... just love it.
JD Spydo

ATS-55 Era: Super Spyderedged Models During That Time

Post by JD Spydo »

Raylas wrote:My personal favorite would have to be the SE G10 Police. I LOVE that thing. I actually got into SE knives because I find it easier to sharpen them on the sharpmaker, and I loved the enhanced edge retention and cutting ability. Nice thing about SE blades: Even when getting dull, you can still cut stuff in a pinch. I like that. Also, I think a serrated edge done properly is a thing of beauty, the gentle flowing lines.... just love it.
Well said Brother :) The G-10 Police along with the G-10 Harpy and the G-10 Rookie were all 3 some of the very best Spyderedged models>> and they all came out of the ATS-55 era which produced some of the best overall Spyderco models period>> not to mention the great selection of full Spyderedged models to come from the Golden CO USA EArth factory as well.

During that time the Spyder Factory here in the USA was making some great Spyderedged models with 440V which is one of my personal favorite blade steels. It is a monster to sharpen but with a Spyderedged model you don't have to sharpen it often.

The Mariner and Stainless handled Rescue models also shined brightly during that great era as well. Great models so far you guys so keep them coming :cool:
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

FWIW, the Mariner was the first model offered with a serrated edge.

Here's a couple rare birds, EMT versions of the SnapIt and Remote Release...

[CENTER]Image

Image[/CENTER]
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!