PM2 and sage question

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Andy Blackwell

PM2 and sage question

Post by Andy Blackwell »

Hello all, new user here. I've been a knife guy for as long as I can remember, but I'm new to Spydercos. I recently bought a Tenacious at the recommendation of r/knives on Reddit. I have be thoroughly impressed with this knife, and now I am searching for a higher "grade" Spydie. Before the Tenacious, I never really liked the way that Spyderco looked, and for some unknown reason, I always likened them to the local gas station specialty. (Boy was I wrong)

Anyway, I have narrowed my foray into higher end Spyderco knives down to the PM2 and Sage1, I love the blade steel, and the looks of both of them, and they are roughly the same price point. The PM2 looks about the size of my Tenacious, and the Sage looks just a hair smaller. So they are both on equal footing, in that regard. Everyone that Ive seen online raves about how magical the PM2 is, and likewise Ive seen quite a few people who love the Sage equally.

The only thing that is keeping me from pulling the trigger on the PM2 (whenever they become available again) is the locking mechanism, you see; I live in Columbia, SC and I havent found a local Spyderco dealer so I cant play with them individually (assuming they would even have a PM2) I have always loved liner locks, I like the ability to one-hand open/close and the PM2 is "backwards." From the perspective of never having played with one, it looks somewhat awkward. It probably isnt, and its just that Im somewhat biased toward liner locks, but nonetheless I cant shake that feeling.

I cant afford to "buy both and sell the other one" as Ive seen some people recommend, though I would love to be able to do that. What say you Spyderco forum? Thoughts, ideas, or someone who lives in the Columbia, SC know of a place that might have one in stock would be appreciated. Thanks!

Andy :spyder:
Murdoc

Post by Murdoc »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

As we speak, I'm playing with my PM2, opening and closing it over and over again, one-handed :) You can easily release the lock with your forefinger; IMO it is even safer than releasing a liner lock, since you don't get in the way of the closing blade with your thumb (or any other finger).

If you like the liner lock, you will love the compression lock! Give it a try, you won't regret it. The only problem that could arise is that you don't want to buy, carry or use any other knife after the PM2 any more ;) which would be a shame, since there are so many other fine Spydies out there. Thank God I purchased my first PM2 that "late" in my Spydie collecting career :D

Dennis
computernut

Post by computernut »

I had a Sage1 before the PM2 (black DLC), still have both. I had read all the stuff about how great the PM2 was but my local shop had gotten their first batch in and the second I held it in my hand I was thinking "wow nice" in my head and I probably said it out-loud to the sales guy too. The PM2 is the most likely to wind up in my pocket as there are times when I regret leaving it at home, the sharp tip and the extra 1/2" of blade make a big difference for certain cutting tasks. You didn't say what you were going to use it for but if you like your Tenacious and want something a little smaller and more refined go with the Sage1. If you like the size of your Tenacious and want the next level up in build and materials go with the PM2.
Chopping Broccoli

Post by Chopping Broccoli »

I always hate it when people say buy both in these type of threads. BUT....the Sage 1 and PM happen to be my favorite two knives. I alternate between the two. Probably 75% PM vs 25% Sage 1 as far as pocket time is concerned. In this instance I have to say...BUY BOTH!
Current Spydies....
Captain
Persian
Chinook 3
Manix 2
Stretch (Black CE and Blue ZDP)
Military (orange, brown, and CF)
Para Military 1 (black) (My EDC)
Para Military 2 (grey, orange, brown, blue, green)
Khukuri
Sage 1, 2, 3, & 4
Dodo
Chokwe
Gayle Bradley
Caly 3.5 Super Blue
UKPK
Urban (Wharncliffe and Leaf)
Progrip
Endura (white, orange, and G10)
Delica x6
Dragonfly x2
Ladybug x4
Perrin Street Bowie
Super Leaf

Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Both are great knives :) . The compression lock is fairly easy for the average liner lock fan to get used to. Quite different mechanically but functionally similar (while flipped like you said).

The main perk for a user is not having to put your thumb in closing path of the blade. This is usually done with the side of your thumb and then a grip change to close or a index and thumb "pinch" and a grip change to close. Either way quite easy.

Right now the Superleaf is discontinued. It's a slightly bulky version of your Tenacious at a silly price of about $95 on the various sites. You might go that route. If you hate it wait a few months and selling it should be quite easy.
APS

Post by APS »

I've had both and prefer the Sage 1 for my knife uses.
Adam
ChaoticMayhem65

Post by ChaoticMayhem65 »

The PM2 is by far one of the easiest knives to open ive ever used. Just depress the compression lock and the blade will fling open or closed with ease. By far one of my favorite lock designs.
jon1all

Post by jon1all »

Liner locks were my favorite until I encountered the PM2 and its wonderfully stout and FUN compression lock... now the compression lock is my favorite!!! LOVE IT!!! I also like the ball bearing lock on my new Manix2, but the compression lock is the king! Buy one, you won't regret it... and if for some strange reason you don't like it, PM2s are easy to sell. Heck you'd probably even make a profit on it! :)
Apparently, arachnophobia is not a condition from which I suffer.... :spyder:
------
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." (oops!)
--Thomas Jefferson
PLEASE VISIT MY BLOG >>>1all's Pub<<<
ChaoticMayhem65

Post by ChaoticMayhem65 »

jon1all wrote: and if for some strange reason you don't like it, PM2s are easy to sell. Heck you'd probably even make a profit on it! :)
Ha! Not like it :confused: Impossible! But you hit the nail right on the head on the resell value. They are like gold. Very fun knives to play with.
On another note, Where ya been man? Any new additions?
BAL

Post by BAL »

Welcome Andy. The compression lock on the PM2 is by far my favorite.
I like to open and close one handed and this works perfectly for me.
I always seem to be working with something in my left hand and need
to grab a knife and make a cut, close th eblade and return to the pocket.
I now have a hard time using other knifes. Good luck on your selection.
jon1all

Post by jon1all »

ChaoticMayhem65 wrote:Ha! Not like it :confused: Impossible! But you hit the nail right on the head on the resell value. They are like gold. Very fun knives to play with.
On another note, Where ya been man? Any new additions?
I been around... will text you later so as not to hijack! :)
------
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." (oops!)
--Thomas Jefferson
Splice

Post by Splice »

My three knives I carry most are those and a delica. I would say the PM2 gets 80% of the pocket time, the other 20% divided equally. It's just a superb knife in every respect. The sage is amazing, but I find it slightly less versitle and not quite as pleasing in the hand
eschwebach

Post by eschwebach »

Both are absolutely great knives and you can't go wrong with either. A lot of very good points have already been made. I will add this, the Sage 1 is beautiful with the carbon fiber and the polished steel liners, it is more people friendly in that respect. IMO the PM2 is more utilitarian, more tactical if you will. I love them both.
:spyder: -Erik
Andy Blackwell

Post by Andy Blackwell »

Sorry about the double thread everyone!
I think that I have decided on the Sage 1. I really like the PM2, but I work in a law office, so I think I need a more "gentlemanly" folder. I love my Tenacious, I cant keep myself from playing with it. But its size reminds me of my CRKT M16 that I carried overseas; Its a bit too big in my pocket, my phone/keys/etc always gets hung up in there.

I looked at the Delica 4 FFG for a while, but as I said in the first post, the lock-back makes it hard to pull the trigger on that one, though I hear it is a fantastic knife. I also like the Sage 3, but Im not a huge fan of the blue G10. So as I said, I believe I'm going to pull the trigger on the Sage sometime this week.

Might be the wrong place to ask, but does anyone have one for sale?

Andy
jon1all

Post by jon1all »

If size is a concern and you like the Sage1, then you should consider a Chaparral as well. It's smaller, a perfect gentleman's folder, has carbon fiber scales, S30V blade steel (or CTS-XHP if you can wait for the new 2013 model), lightweight and a heck of a slicer. Really a great little knife that might fit you perfectly.
------
--Thomas Jefferson
PatCatMan

Post by PatCatMan »

Got both and carry the Sage1 more than any other blade I own.
"You miss 100% of the shots you never take"
Andy Blackwell

Post by Andy Blackwell »

Well I bit the bullet and bought a LNIB Sage 1 from a guy on the forum of blades (sic) sent him the MO today. We shall see:
A.) how I like the Sage 1
B.) if I get screwed for sending money to some dude I've never met halfway across the country. I think it'll be ok, just nervous about sending $$ to some guy that has no incentive to not screw me over. He's a platinum member and has a 100% rating on that forum, so it should be ok. Thanks all for your help, and I'll let you know how it works out!
Andy Blackwell

Post by Andy Blackwell »

Got the Sage in today, and I am impressed so far. My only complaint so far is the fact that it isnt blowing me away in terms of sharpness. My Tenacious, is still hair popping sharp after a few weeks of use. The Sage isnt. is this a product of the higher grade steel (S30V) or is it a dud from the factory? well I shouldnt say dud, because it is sharp, just not overly so. What say yall? Im not a master with a sharpening stone, nor do I have a sharp maker/edge pro etc. How do I get this thing so that I could cut a rifle barrel in half <sic>?
Douglas

Post by Douglas »

Obviously LNIB didn't mean he didn't use it enough for it to lose the factory edge.

The key to sharpening is to keep a consistent angle. The Sharpmaker achieves this by setting the stone at 15 or 20 degrees from vertical while you hold the knife vertical. Much easier to judge vertical than to judge 20 degrees from horizontal with a stone flat on a table. With any stone you can duplicate the Sharpmaker technique by inclining the stone to the angle you wish to sharpen at and holding the knife vertically. Add in the sharpie trick to make sure you're hitting the edge and you should be able to get it screaming sharp. Loupes are very helpful as well, as you can see exactly what you're doing to the edge.