2013: Year of the Giveaway

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tvenuto

2013: Year of the Giveaway

Post by tvenuto »

This giveaway was inspired by two threads. First, the generous giveaway of the Stretch by gbelleh in January.

After the Stretch giveaway, I thought to myself "wouldn't it be cool if there was a giveaway every month of the year this year?" After thinking this, I realized two facts:
1. This would require forum members, who had a knife to give away, to post a giveaway
2. I fit this description

The second inspirational thread was the one where Cliff asked "when is the Delica not enough knife?"

I love my Delica 4! It was my first Spyderco, and the one that started the passion for quality knives. The great irony of this is that I agree that it is actually enough knife for almost everything! Although it fulfills most of my needs, it doesn't always fulfill my wants, so I often carry different knives just because I like to.

2013 has already been an awesome year for me, and I've been lucky to snag two sweet knives so far: CF Stretch and Southard. So like gbelleh, I'd like to repay the generosity of this forum by doing a giveaway, with the hope that more forum members will pick up the torch and make 2013 the Year of the Giveaway, with one per month for the whole year. The subject of this giveaway is a Green FRN Delica 4. It was going to be a gift, but ended up going with another knife for the gift, so it has sat for a while in its box. It has only been removed from the box for these pictures!

As gbelleh said: Please only enter this giveaway if you intend to use and enjoy the prize, and if it's legal to own where you live. If you want to reply, but don't want to enter the drawing, just indicate that in your post.

The winner will be chosen by Random.org on 2/25/13.

To enter, please tell us: What is your primary cutting task? Is the knife you choose optimized for this cutting task (steel, blade geometry, size, etc), or do you choose based on something else?

Pics of the actual knife:
[ATTACH]21485[/ATTACH][ATTACH]21486[/ATTACH][ATTACH]21487[/ATTACH][ATTACH]21488[/ATTACH]
Attachments
IMG_0083.JPG
IMG_0081.JPG
IMG_0079.JPG
IMG_0078.JPG
FrankH

Post by FrankH »

Hi Tvenuto,

Thanks for doing this.

Primary Cutting Tasks:
Delica 4 PE VG-10 Saber grind (my EDC)- lunch prep when not at home such as cutting cheese, sausage, tomatoes, onions, bagels etc. Spreading cream cheese or peanut butter Around the house - opening mail (letters and boxes), cutting strapping tape, cutting cardboard for recycle, opening plastic packaging etc.

Endura 4 CE VG-10 Saber grind or Endura 1 SE G-2 - lawn and garden - cutting vines of various types from bushes and trees (they grow like crazy here in Florida), trimming back plants, cutting flowers, cutting garden twine, sometimes cuttting rubber hose for repair, cutting rope occasionally. Fishing/hiking - cutting slices of wood for tinder, making fuzz sticks, cutting saw palmetto stalks for roasing marshmallows or hot dogs, cleaning fish etc.

I know I probably left dozens of things out, my knives are constant companions and my most used tools.
** Endura 1 SE G2, Delica 1 CE G2, Co-Pilot SE Almite G2, Bob Terzuola Jr CE ATS-34, Rescue Jr SE ATS-55, Caly 3 PE VG-10 G10, Lady Bug II SE AUS-6, Delica 4 PE VG-10, Endura 4 CE Vg-10, Lady Bug 3 PE VG-10, Cricket SE VG-10, Salt 1 PE H1, Dragonfly 2 PE VG-10, UK Penknife PE CTS BD1 **
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

No problem, happy to do it. I guess I forgot to go...

Primary cutting tasks: opening/breaking down cardboard boxes, opening plastic packaging, cutting zip ties, self defense in an emergency (never tested).

Probably the ideal knife would be a ZDP Dfly, due to small size and edge holding for above tasks, but that's not what I carry. Often carry the FRN D4, Nishijin R sprint, Manix XL, and recently the CF stretch. I carry them mostly because of how they fit in my hand, and because I like the looks, lock, and design of each. I also like being prepared for anything, and like having more edge than I really need...just in case.
camvdcs

Post by camvdcs »

Thanks for this giveaway, Tvenuto!

My EDC is a Delica PE Aus-8 with a molded clip (yep, it's old but still kicking). Primarily used for opening letters & packages, used to open clam packs, cut cords, cut threads, whittle sticks, cut coupons out of the newspaper, cutting boxes & cardboard, cut tape, etc.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Great giveaway idea! Please don't enter me in the contest.

My primary cutting task is opening mail and packages. I really don't do much cutting beyond that (except food prep with dedicated kitchen knives). I typically use whatever I have at hand. Pretty much any Spyderco excels at opening mail, so I like to use a wide variety of designs.

Thanks again for the contest, and good luck to everyone! The Delica 4 is a great prize!
:bug-red-white
BigBill5953

Post by BigBill5953 »

Great giveaway idea!!

My primary cutting task for my knives are cutting tape, breaking down cardboard boxes and bins, a little bit of food prep, cutting zip ties, and cutting plastic straps around boxes. I do 90% of this at work. The FFG Delica is a great Spydie and it works very well for the jobs I ask it to do. I chose it because it is fairly cheap, VG-10 is a great steel and easy to sharpen. I'm sure there is a knife with some super steel and some fancy lock but the Delica is one of Spyderco's flagship models and after carrying and using it for over a year, I definitely see why.
-Billy

Centofante 3|Brown FFG Delica 4|Persistence|Sharpmaker & UF rods|SS Kiwi|Manbug SE|Blue UKPK SE Leaf|Calypso Jr. FRN|Blue Dodo SE|Centofante 3|Grasshopper|Tan Ladybug Salt|Rookie Sprint|

bammann45 wrote:In Los Angeles we have roaming packs of carnivorous tortoises. I am glad we finally have a folder that can punch through their shells.
Lo/Rez

Post by Lo/Rez »

Thanks for the opportunity to win something.

My EDC is an 890 Torrent and it's used mainly for opening boxes and prepping some food. It's a nice knife but I've been looking hard at replacing it with a Spyderco.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

tvenuto,

Thank you for giveaway. This is very nice of you.
I do not want to enter the drawing. Most of us want a free knives, but some of us should pass the chance to will to others, who needs more.
R
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

Tvenuto, great idea and thanks for doing this giveaway.

Please don't enter me in the drawing though.

I currently use a Tuff to manage my mail room chores at work. Though I have used my other knives for food prep, I have not yet used The Tuff to do this. Not sure how 3V will react to acids etc. it's a "loud" knife to garner the wrong sort of attention when cutting an apple by the roadside.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
Invective

Post by Invective »

My EDC as of late has been a ZDP Ladybug. It deals mostly with cutting open boxes and letters as I am currently job-less, but before, it would have been used to process shipment, and my little Ladybug is much more fun to use than a box-cutter :P The Ladybug handled both of these tasks with nary a hitch, the only thing that would impede the cutting ability is when the blade gets gunked up with tape residue, but there is not much that can be done about that. I chose this knife as primary EDC because I live in California, close to LA, now known for their laws restricting knives over 3 inches. I don't like tempting fate so I typically just bring my shorter blades, and the Ladybug is my most discreet.

Anyways, thanks for the giveaway and good luck to all!!
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

tvenuto wrote:This giveaway was inspired by two threads.
Awesome. Well done, brother.

Please don't enter me in the giveaway but good luck to all who are.

Cheers,

Ken
玉鋼
tea

Post by tea »

Na
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Well done Tvenuto!! :) ...I don't wish to be in the drawing as I have an SG and FFG Delica already :) Freely giving holds it's own rewards :)
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
einstein2001

Post by einstein2001 »

My primary cutting tasks are opening letters and boxes, breaking down cardboard, stripping electrical wires, cutting conveyor belting and everything in between. I currently use a Dragonfly 2 as my EDC. I choose it because its small size goes unnoticed at work and I can carry it anywhere with anything because it is so light. Also I love the FFG blade for slicing. I do sometimes find myself wanting a little more blade length so I am putting in my submission for this contest. I would love to win that delica. Thanks!
Commendatore

Post by Commendatore »

Awesome to see another giveaway! Great knife you chose, the winner will get a great slicer!

Primary EDC?
G10 UKPK Rescue, Byrd Robin.

Main Cutting task?
Opening boxes, cutting tape and cardboard. Hope to have more hunting use as I did a year ago (not enough time right now).

Steel?
8Cr13MoV takes an unnecessary sharp edge and is easy to sharpen, S30V will take forever to dull, especially on SE blades.
I also use some VG10 blades (Delica PS, FFG, Moran, Urban Wharnie,...) and love the even edge for push-cutting but miss the bite the before mentioned steels readily take.

Please do not enter me for the giveaway as I have several Delicas and do not use them as much as they deserve. Another one would just sit in a drawer.
1965ford

Post by 1965ford »

My primary use for a knife is to open a shipping box containing yet another new :spyder: Please don't enter me, I already am getting grief from the misses about having too many knives. Someone else will get more use out of it even though I will end up with (another) Delica eventually.

Thanks for the generosity to the group!
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

Kudos to you, I am another please dont enter me person. If my post # is picked, give it to the person after me. I just wanted to say nice job.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

My main cutting tasks include cutting paracord for lanyards, etc., camping chores, and cutting things like tires for fun.
I pick knives based on what I don't have already, as well as the visual appeal and the reviews of other forumites. Right now, I'm mainly using an SE Stretch or my Mule. I bought these because I didn't have any knives with FFG and I wanted to see what all the fuss was about :D

Thank you for creating this giveaway!
Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5
araneae

Post by araneae »

Very generous of you. I don't need to be entered, but its a great idea.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Chipped Karambit

Post by Chipped Karambit »

tvenuto wrote: To enter, please tell us: What is your primary cutting task? Is the knife you choose optimized for this cutting task (steel, blade geometry, size, etc), or do you choose based on something else?
Nice Idea! Thanks for the opportunity Tvenuto!

My EDC is the Yojimbo 2. My primary cutting task these days are food, clothe, tobacco (I V cut my cigars with a knife) ,packaging, rope, adhesives and cardboard. The Yojimbo 2 is optimized for most of this because of the blade shape (Great tip control) edge geometry, and the ability of CPMS30v. I try to avoid using it on adhesives, rope and cardboard to save the edge, so I back up carry the lil matriarch. I chose this knife based on the design, its concealability, ease of carry, the shape, the versatility, the size limit (3 inches by municipal laws,) the ability to use combatively if needed, and because this knife is so easy to sharpen (I can sharpen this knife sharper then anything for some reason, Cartoonishly sharp.)

The list goes on and on like a Journey song at a bar.