Delica Fans! What do you prefer?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
c11642

Delica Fans! What do you prefer?

Post by c11642 »

I was just wondering if anybody prefers the saber grind over the full flat grind. If so why? :)
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

No I prefer the FFG. The saber grind is robust; thick behind the edge. The tip is thicker too. If you are very hard on a knife, it might be the better choice. The sacrifice for the strength will be less efficient cutting.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I prefer the Lil Matriarch to all of them. IMHO the best Delica to date :D .
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I really like the saber ground ZDP-189 version - it seems to give the knife more rigidity. Maybe its my imagination, but the knife seems to flex toward the tip less than than my later FFG ones.

...and of course, I've got a soft spot for my Gen1 Delica with the saber grind and integral clip... :)

TedP
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

Hey guys,
I have to agree with Ted.
The first gen Delica se was my first Spyderco.
But I am very fond of my g10 ffg d4 as well.
Later,
Don
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
Donut

Post by Donut »

I like the flat ground just for the very minor perceived improvement in cutting performance.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
phaust

Post by phaust »

Saber for me!
Holland

Post by Holland »

i like the ffg models, makes cutting cardboard easier
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I do prefer the FFG, but I certainly see a need for Saber ground models too. I love my saber Delica 3 in blue.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Sharktooth

Post by Sharktooth »

FFG - What a slicer!
BigBill5953

Post by BigBill5953 »

I've got a FFG and its a workhorse but there's something about the saber grind on the Delica that looks sexy.
-Billy

Centofante 3|Brown FFG Delica 4|Persistence|Sharpmaker & UF rods|SS Kiwi|Manbug SE|Blue UKPK SE Leaf|Calypso Jr. FRN|Blue Dodo SE|Centofante 3|Grasshopper|Tan Ladybug Salt|Rookie Sprint|

bammann45 wrote:In Los Angeles we have roaming packs of carnivorous tortoises. I am glad we finally have a folder that can punch through their shells.
APS

Post by APS »

I prefer FFG as well, but recommend a saber grind to a heavy handed non-knife aficionado.
Adam
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

FFG for me, reminds me of one of the best qualities of the Delica 3 - a thin edge and needle tip.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
thog94

Post by thog94 »

I'd love if the combo edge came in the same variety of colors that the other Delicas have. Other than that I enjoy the FFG.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Not saber and not FFG but hollow grind for me.It is a mistery for me why stainless steel handle Delicas are hollow grind and FRN handle Delicas are saber grind.
FFG Delicas seems too fragile for my taste.Between FFG and saber I prefer saber grind but I also like a higher saber grind with a pointy tip as in first generations
Delica.I dislike the modified drop point.
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

Saber grind with a combo edge for me. I prefer a thicker blade for EDC worst case scenarios.
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
rwasham

Post by rwasham »

I have a saber Generation 1 endura, and the saber emerson opener delica4. While I can't find fault with either I generally Like a FFG blade better. I know I'll get a delica4 eventually. I'd like to put brown scales from a ffg on my emerson opener. What would be even cooler, is if I could get a waved delica in ffg, I might do the zip-tie trick, but it would be cool to have a delica that is factory made waved and ffg.
Getting my :bug-red on!!!!

:usflag
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

rwasham wrote:I have a saber Generation 1 endura, and the saber emerson opener delica4. While I can't find fault with either I generally Like a FFG blade better. I know I'll get a delica4 eventually. I'd like to put brown scales from a ffg on my emerson opener. What would be even cooler, is if I could get a waved delica in ffg, I might do the zip-tie trick, but it would be cool to have a delica that is factory made waved and ffg.
FYI, the greater blade mass on a saber ground Delica waves open a lot easier than the FFG will. I waved a FFG Endura, and have to really whip it out of the pocket to get it to lock open from the wave draw, because the blade is so thin and light.
lbwheat

Post by lbwheat »

I have all of my Delicas back to the 1st one with the moulded in clip and I always like the upgrades.The latest ffg in the ZDP 189 steel is the best so far.I really like the ZDP 189 steel it stays super sharp for a lot longer than most of the other types of steel that I have.
Raylas

Post by Raylas »

I happen to prefer the saber grind, if only because I've found them to hold an edge longer than an FFG blade. Don't get me wrong, I LIKE flat grinds, but the saber grind is just a personal preference for me.