Anyone have the '13 UKPK ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
VictorLouis

Anyone have the '13 UKPK ?

Post by VictorLouis »

I'm really curious as to your impression of the backspring strength. In reading here, it appears to have been strengthened? Any ELU comparos to verify this? Pics are certainly appreciated, also. :)
Stretch VG10 FRN, Caly Jr. VG10 FRN.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I had a 2012 version with a split spring before I lost it. I'm still hoping I find it somewhere. I need to pick up a new ffg version.

It had more resistance to closing than any of the G-10 models or CF or Titanium versions I have. It has a little less opening resistance to the G-10 models.

So, it opens easy, resists closing more. In general, it makes a very nice user.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Willamette

Post by Willamette »

I've had a few close calls with my weak spring frn models and have not been using them. I'd love to use them again, is Spyderco making the newer springs available to customers with the original models through warranty if I send them in?
Donut

Post by Donut »

Willamette wrote:I've had a few close calls with my weak spring frn models and have not been using them. I'd love to use them again, is Spyderco making the newer springs available to customers with the original models through warranty if I send them in?
That would be nice, I have one with a weaker spring and I don't really carry it for that reason.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
VictorLouis

Post by VictorLouis »

Thanks, Donut. :o

Willamette wrote:is Spyderco making the newer springs available to customers with the original models through warranty if I send them in?
Unfortunately, I've read that the newer ones have a different fit.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Donut wrote:That would be nice, I have one with a weaker spring and I don't really carry it for that reason.
I've never had problems with any of my UKPKs - and they all have the older spring. The choil seems to mitigate any potential problems you might have with accidental closing. I rank the Ti UKPK as one of the top Spydies of all time.

TedP
ARandom

Post by ARandom »

Willamette wrote:I've had a few close calls with my weak spring frn models and have not been using them. I'd love to use them again, is Spyderco making the newer springs available to customers with the original models through warranty if I send them in?
I sent an email to Spyderco two days ago asking if this could be done. Let's see what their response is.
Willamette

Post by Willamette »

ARandom wrote:I sent an email to Spyderco two days ago asking if this could be done. Let's see what their response is.
Didn't mean to hijack your thread VictorLouis. I appreciate the replies and look forward to hearing the response on ARandom's request.
VictorLouis

Post by VictorLouis »

Willamette wrote:Didn't mean to hijack your thread VictorLouis. I appreciate the replies and look forward to hearing the response on ARandom's request.
NO problemo. Straight from the Horse's mouth is best, anyways. :p
araneae

Post by araneae »

I recently sent an older one in due to a stripped pivot. I'm hoping for a split spring replacement. I will probably use it a lot more.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
ARandom

Post by ARandom »

Willamette wrote:Didn't mean to hijack your thread VictorLouis. I appreciate the replies and look forward to hearing the response on ARandom's request.
I still haven't received a response. Spyderco is usually quick to answer their emails from what I've experienced.

EDIT: It could probably be because of the weekend. I didn't realize what day it was. :D
ARandom

Post by ARandom »

I got a reply to my email the other day. It basically said that they can't guarantee that the new parts will fit the knife and that if they did fit, it would be $20 plus a $ 5 return shipping fee.

I think I'm just going to give away my UKPK as a gift and just buy a new 2013 FFG UKPK.
Willamette

Post by Willamette »

ARandom wrote:I got a reply to my email the other day. It basically said that they can't guarantee that the new parts will fit the knife and that if they did fit, it would be $20 plus a $ 5 return shipping fee.

I think I'm just going to give away my UKPK as a gift and just buy a new 2013 FFG UKPK.
Thanks for the update ARandom. Not what we were hoping for, but at least we know.

Will keep them in the collection for now. Might send in my rescue version and see what they can do, but there are lots of knives on my wish list and $25 on an already inexpensive knife may be too much to bother with.

Will