Native 4 & 5

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:I love the Native 4...And the 5, it needs to get it'd edge back...shorter and shorter.
Little more edge will be good, but lately I stopped using Caly3.5 and Persian to cut my apples at work. Native5 does the job just fine. Please understand me correctly, I cannot wait to see 3.5" and 4" FFG Natives: Shaman & Chief.
Skywarp wrote: Frustrating really. How is it any more difficult to ask the lady in the post office to send it to England instead of Arkansas? Buyers pay shipping anyway...
Like Paul said, this is not difficult at all. But selling overseas creating much more possibilities for something to go wrong. I sold few knives out of country, mostly on BF. Most of them were fine, except one, believe me or not, to England. When buyer bought the knife, he didn't realized that he will have to pay custom dues on the top of what he paid me for the knife, shipping, and insurance. So he didn't pay dues and the knife was returned back to me couple month later and of cause I had to pay him back. When I sell to US, deal is done in few days. So it is just not worth it to sell out, unless a seller is very desperate for money and nobody in US is willing to pay.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Skywarp wrote:No, not really - it's his choice.
A lot of auction sellers state that they ship US only (and some stores).
I tend to e-mail them politely and ask if they would reconsider if I accept responsibility.
Most do kindly agree. That's how I landed my Moonglow Manix 2 from the bay and my Blue PM 2 and Orange UKPK from a US store that didn't generally ship internationally at the time.
From what I understand, if you changed your mind and contacted PayPal saying you had not received the knife the seller would lose, even if he had a signed and notarized document from you "accepting responsibility". Please understand, I'm not impugning your honesty and I'm not saying some sellers will not take the risk, or that some are unaware of it because no overseas buyer has ever filed a PayPal dispute. I'm just explaining one of the reasons some folks put US only on their listings.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Donut

Post by Donut »

I always call the FRN Native pictured the Native Lightweight. Native 2 was Stainless. Native 3 was the contoured handle Japan version.

I'm not too sure what the Native 1 was, that was before my time.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Waco

Post by Waco »

Skywarp wrote:Yeah, I saw those. Seller ships to continental US only.
Frustrating really. How is it any more difficult to ask the lady in the post office to send it to England instead of Arkansas? Buyers pay shipping anyway...
I did e-mail the seller but he didn't respond. Oh well...
I've shipped a few watches to England. It's a little more hassle. Shipping seemed to always cost more than I expected from checking rates online. In my experience, the buyer always wanted me to declare a low value to reduce customs fees. But if you tell the post office that you are shipping something that's worth $10, you can't ask them to insure it for $150. The buyer would say not to worry about insurance, but how understanding is he going to be if the package never shows up?
Holland

Post by Holland »

the native 5 looks beautiful, i need to make sure i get in on the forums knife
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Waco

Post by Waco »

Holland wrote:the native 5 looks beautiful, i need to make sure i get in on the forums knife
They took (no offense to owners of other versions) a low-end Sypderco and turned it into a work of art. My G10 Endura gets Crocodile Dundee comments from non-knife people (Wait till they see my new Millie.). People see the Native5 and say, "Hey, that's a nice knife."
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Donut wrote:I always call the FRN Native pictured the Native Lightweight. Native 2 was Stainless. Native 3 was the contoured handle Japan version.

I'm not too sure what the Native 1 was, that was before my time.
Way before my time too!

Still, the C41 started in FRN with a few G10 (with inlays) models to follow per this article. Then the SS model made with VG10 in Japan (2). Later the 3 model with the swelled FRN handle in Japan. Then the smooth CF VG10 model in Japan (4). Finally the Native5 we have now.

I like the approach of the Native5. It only gives up a tiny bit of blade to the original which makes it legal in far more places. The lack of swedge makes it less "scary".
bh49

Native5

Post by bh49 »

Blerv wrote: I like the approach of the Native5. It only gives up a tiny bit of blade to the original which makes it legal in far more places. The lack of swedge makes it less "scary".
+1 and FFG makes it better looking and slicing :)
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

Waco

Post by Waco »

BAL wrote:I use mine as more of a dress knife.
Me too. Oddly, it doesn't show up when you search the catalog for "gentleman's knives".
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I could be wrong but, AFAIK, there has never been a Spyderco model with an "1" (or "I") suffix in it's official model name. We're the ones who tag that suffix onto the original version of a model after a second version, with a II suffix, comes out.

If we're doing that with the Native family of knives, then the FRN version of the C41 would be the Native I as it was the first, and for several years the only, Native. The rest of the number suffixes are were given by Spyderco, the all stainless Native II (first in AUS-10 and later in VG-10), the FRN/VG-10 C78 Native III, the CF/VG-10 C41 Native IV, and now the Native V, currently in G-10/CPM-S35V with other handle materials and steels expected to follow.
Paul
bh49

Post by bh49 »

The Deacon wrote:I could be wrong but, AFAIK, there has never been a Spyderco model with an "1" (or "I") suffix in it's official model name. We're the ones who tag that suffix onto the original version of a model after a second version, with a II suffix, comes out.
Paul,
I am pretty sure that there were no para1, delica1, endura1, police1, persian1,viele1 and so on. But I am not so sure about Cento. It was way before my time. Do you remember was it cento1 or just cento?

KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

Wonder if there is any plan to make screw construction Natives. If I observe correctly, the Native is still pinned construction. Also, how are the liners please?
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

bh49 wrote:Paul,
I am pretty sure that there were no para1, delica1, endura1, police1, persian1,viele1 and so on. But I am not so sure about Cento. It was way before my time. Do you remember was it cento1 or just cento?
Hi Roman, just checked and the '94 Catalog and price lists show it as the C25 Frank Centofante.
KardinalSyn wrote:Wonder if there is any plan to make screw construction Natives. If I observe correctly, the Native is still pinned construction. Also, how are the liners please?
Not sure if they've started using screw pivots on the Native Lightweight, as I haven't bought one in a couple years. Do know it doesn't have any liners. G-10 Native V has full liners, FRN version of it will probably have nested ones like the Delica, etc.

EDITED TO ADD: For me, the perfect Native would mate the OIF/OEF tan FRN C41 Native Lightweight handle with the 2009 Forum Native FFG blade without the engraving. While I wouldn't mind pinned construction, am sure screw pivots would make it even a better seller.
Paul
APS

Post by APS »

The Deacon wrote: EDITED TO ADD: For me, the perfect Native would mate the OIF/OEF tan FRN C41 Native Lightweight handle with the 2009 Forum Native FFG blade without the engraving. While I wouldn't mind pinned construction, am sure screw pivots would make it even a better seller.
Wow, now that sounds like the perfect Native lightweight EDC knife. Simple unlined construction, FFG, no useless empty tip up holes, neutral handle color and easily modified handle (I always have to grind down the second handle peak on the FRN Native)
Adam
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

The Deacon wrote:Hi Roman, just checked and the '94 Catalog and price lists show it as the C25 Frank Centofante.

Not sure if they've started using screw pivots on the Native Lightweight, as I haven't bought one in a couple years. Do know it doesn't have any liners. G-10 Native V has full liners, FRN version of it will probably have nested ones like the Delica, etc.

EDITED TO ADD: For me, the perfect Native would mate the OIF/OEF tan FRN C41 Native Lightweight handle with the 2009 Forum Native FFG blade without the engraving. While I wouldn't mind pinned construction, am sure screw pivots would make it even a better seller.
Thanks for the info. I'm very much interested in the all black version and still hunting for info.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

The Deacon wrote:Hi Roman, just checked and the '94 Catalog and price lists show it as the C25 Frank Centofante.

For me, the perfect Native would mate the OIF/OEF tan FRN C41 Native Lightweight handle with the 2009 Forum Native FFG blade without the engraving. While I wouldn't mind pinned construction, am sure screw pivots would make it even a better seller.
Paul,
Thank you for info.
My perfect Native is slightly different. Native5 is actually fairly close. I like tan color scales and would prefer 2009 Forum Native no swedge blade. Still I strongly prefer full liners, screw construction and will take G10 (even peel-ply) over FRN
After two month of waiting hopefully tonight I will have my near perfect Native5. :)

Lo/Rez

Post by Lo/Rez »

Has there been any word on whether or not the Native5 will come out with CF scales? That would make it pretty much perfect in my little world.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Lo/Rez,

Welcome to the Forum.
CF Native5 S110V is expected this summer.

Donut

Post by Donut »

The only model I can think of that might have a 1 in the name would be the Mule or Chaparral, since they had planned from the get-go that there would be multiple versions of them.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

^ Or the Sage, maybe?
Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5