Sal Glesser is the Man(bug)!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
paladin

Sal Glesser is the Man(bug)!

Post by paladin »

I've always appreciated the philosophy behind the ladybug and I own/carry 3 variants of that model...but I LOVE the Manbug...thanks, Mr. Glesser! Should've known if Sal EDC's a Manbug it had to be a great tool...and it is. Now I just need some ideas for a practical LANYARD for this mightymite...I've seen some beautiful creations in the past LANYARD thread, but I'm interested in something that will not be overly bulky nor heavy and thus offset the Manbug's optimal utility/size/weight ratio...plain Jane is fine with me...perhaps just an upgrade or two for a plain rawhide loop...ideas? Thanks
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
RJNC

Post by RJNC »

I agree! Love the Manbug!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Paladin,

I wanted a thicker stronger flat ground Ladybug, and figured if I wanted one, others might also want one.

sal
God'sMyJudge

Post by God'sMyJudge »

I got my zdp version last week and I really love it!
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I had a Ladybug salt and while it lives up to all claims it just never clicked for me. The Manbug clicked. A GREAT small knife. Easy to open/close one handed, solid, etc. Here's a picture of two with FOBs that I tied. I call them "noose" FOBS because they are tied the same as a noose (for a western movie :) ). It's very functional.
paladin

Post by paladin »

Precisely...the Ladybug was a great EDC but the Manbug has "cut" into the LadyB's pockettime for me...Thanks for the pics Jack! That looks like a Jester in the middle... but are those "Jesterized" Manbugs on top and bottom? And BTW, how did you end your noose knot?
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

paladin wrote:Precisely...the Ladybug was a great EDC but the Manbug has "cut" into the LadyB's pockettime for me...Thanks for the pics Jack! That looks like a Jester in the middle... but are those "Jesterized" Manbugs on top and bottom? And BTW, how did you end your noose knot?
Jester in the middle. I ground the other two blades to the shape of the Jester. The Manbug with the FRN handle I polished the blade to an almost mirror and rounded the spine. This one is really comfortable. The one with the G-10 handle also has the ZDP blade from another Manbug. I'm going to round the spine on it also. Once I got the ZDP blade in the G-10 handle this is the only one I carry. I also have kydex neck sheaths for all of them. These things are great. I carry the G-10 knife around my neck sometimes but the real great feature of the kydex sheath I can envision for someone carrying a purse, bag, pack or anything. Even a keychain if the keychain is already cumbersom with a bunch of keys. Wife has more "junk" on her keyring than keys. :) Using a keychain knife is a pain IMO with all the other crap hanging on to it. So, just pull the knife out of the sheath (which is attached to the keyring) and use it. The sheaths were made by a forum friend out of his kindness. I think he should quit his job and make these but he would rather pay his bills. :) Some people. :)

PS
I keep the Jester attached to my Fenix LD01 (AAA flashlight) in my left pocket. The light has a clip on it so I still have the pocket clip option for the Jester if I want to clip it instead of just letting it hang around in the bottom of my pocket. I've always carried a pocket knife and can't imagine anyone not carrying one. Now, I feel the same about a little flashlight. I use it as often (or more) than a pocket knife. Of course, my eyes aren't what they were when I was young. :)

A noose knot (as I call it) ends with a loop at one end. The loop is for going through the lanyard hole or around someone's neck, depending on the situation. :) That's a joke I think. :) The other end has the end that you would see going up to the top of a gallows. The other end of the para-cord is through what could have been another noose except that noose is pulled tight from the other end of the knot (noose end). I cut both ends off and heat them just a bit with a lighter to keep them from raveling. If you don't heat them the ends can fray (frey?) if you want it like that. You know, like your favorite pair of jeans. :)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

sal wrote:Hi Paladin,

I wanted a thicker stronger flat ground Ladybug, and figured if I wanted one, others might also want one.

sal
For the record I did post begging for this a few times. Also for the record I've been begging for a wharnie Manbug for a while too...just saying :)
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

sal wrote:Hi Paladin,

sal
Evil D wrote:For the record I did post begging for this a few times. Also for the record I've been begging for a wharnie Manbug for a while too...just saying :)
I like the wharnie Manbug idea. If I'm going to carry more than one knife I'd like them to be different from each other. Now they are mainly different sizes, different blades would be nice and I'm not fond of serrated but do like wharncliff for some uses. Personally, I'd like the wharnie blade to be on the smaller knife of what I carry.

So Evil, you've done your job (recommendation), now the only thing is to get Sal to want one. :) Are there any psychic (psychotic?) people out there? Time to do your job. :)
Scorpion

Post by Scorpion »

Any hope of say, a blue or orange frn, VG-10 Manbug?
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

The Manbug is awesome. Amazingly hand-filling for such a small knife. The G-10 version is my favorite.
Waco

Post by Waco »

I don't use my Ladybug much, but it's handy once in a while in a tight spot or when I'm cutting something best suited to an SE. A Kydex sheath from Countycomm keeps attached to my keys at all times.
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

I love the G10 Manbug, one my favorite little knives.

With a bit of a lanyard, it really is every bit as secure in the hand as a larger knife. Although the tweaks from the Ladybug are hard to notice in a photo, its slightly wider handle makes for a very secure hold.

Yet because it's so small, it fulfills a very important mission, which is the be my 'public knife' when out and about.

http://www.good-kit.com/public-knife/
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

I have yet to try out the Manbug...but I love my Ladybugs...
My Spydies: Sharpmaker • Tasman Salt • Saver Salt • Ladybug Hawkbill Salt • Salt 1 • Blue/Gray Meerkat • Burgundy Meerkat • Manix2 Ltwt Translucent Blue • Manix2 Ltwt Blacked Out • Manix2 Backlock • Ladybug 1 Red • Blue UKPK • Tusk • Blue Lava • Dog Tag • Bug • Honeybee • Grasshopper • Stepped Ti Chaparral • McBee • AEB-L Urban
paladin

Post by paladin »

Mark, great pix the clarity is great, thanks.
Scorpion...I would be all in for any additonal color Manbug...the BRG on my ZDP model is pretty sweet IMO and I'm ordering a black VG10 now that I know I love the Manbug model! :D
ABX...I would love to replace the grey G10 with the blue like the original Mbug prototype had...probably'll buy that one also :D
Jack...I'm gonna do your noose fob cause it looks like it'll afford a good purchase, plus I'm afraid that I would catch a more loop-like lanyard when I pull change or keys out and lose my Mbug :eek: ...heck, I hardly notice it's there already...thanks again
Thanks Evil for the Mbug request...your original comment may have been the one to tip the crucible of molten ZDP & J2 into the tiny Manbug ingots...you never know ;)
DedRok

Post by DedRok »

Still need that clipped Manbug! :)
Spyderco please make a wire clip version of the Manbug/Ladybug!
araneae

Post by araneae »

DedRok wrote:Still need that clipped Manbug! :)
Yep. Me too...Sal any thoughts?
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

DedRok wrote:Still need that clipped Manbug! :)
A clip would certainly put one in my pocket!
Current :spyder: : Para2's Brown, Blue & Orange, Etched Spin, CF Caly3 ZDP189, Gayle Bradley, UKPK Orange G10, Manix2 M4, Sage 1, Caly 3.5 in Super Blue, Urban Orange G10
Shakyamuni

Post by Shakyamuni »

Just had to bump this thread because I received a Manbug G-10 the other day and it is really something special. I had a Ladybug before, but the extra weight and thickness of the liners and G-10 make this a great watch-pocket knife!
paladin

Post by paladin »

yep, another convert to the cult of the manbug! :D
Those pics give some good views, plus I can tell you're proud of your PM2, Shakyamuni!
IMHO, knifeUSERS can easily be divided into 2 camps:
1. those who own/carry/use/enjoy Manbugs.
2. those who need to purchase Manbugs.