Spyderco Bug questions

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Scorpion

Spyderco Bug questions

Post by Scorpion »

How long does the spyderco bug hold a sharp edge for with occasional light cutting tasks (opening packages, cutting loose threads)?

Does it have a sharp point, or just a working one?

Is the grind as uneven as it looks in the photos, with a wider looking grind (when viewed from the side) near the tip?

Have the NKP ever complained about it? Or does it tend to get the "awww, how cute" response?

Speaking of the NKP, have they ever complained about a black PE lady/manbug?

I would love to get a manbug but I worry that even its small size is too much.

Thanks for responding!

Extra info: Pretend for the moment that I can only buy one knife. And I go to college in the city.
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

Get both!
They're cheap enough that that's a realistic option.
As for the Non Knife People, it will vary. If you are in a city, there will probably be less tolerance than if you are in the country.
Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

The ladybug/manbug is a much better knife IMO. My ladybug is probably my most used knife and I carry it all the time. They are small enough not to be threatening, but just big enough to be incredibly useful (unless you are trying to slice a loaf of bread or an apple ;) ). While I don't have a Bug, I prefer FRN over steel handles as well as having a lock, so it's no contest: get the manbug.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Scorpion

Post by Scorpion »

But you are absolutely sure it gives no one a bad impression?
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I thought the Bug would be just a novelty. It's actually quite functional with a thin precise tip. I have gut cardboard, opened packages, and even put one through a couple small zip ties with no edge damage (that I could see). I don't know what your edge will be like. I assume they are sharpened on some type of power belt like the other knives.

Everyone has a different temperament towards knives. I have never had anyone squeal at the sight of a Bug nor a Ladybug. The Bug is probably safer in that category and at about $6. A Ladybug is more capable for tasks but also something you would probably not relinquish to a teacher or security person as readily ($30 vs $6). You might look at the Purple Ladybug as it's hardly a threatening color (IMHO).
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Scorpion wrote:But you are absolutely sure it gives no one a bad impression?
I'm absolutely sure that it can give someone a bad impression. But so can a Bug. Or a stick of gum. Or a paperclip. That said, it is very unlikely to cause a bad impression on anyone reasonable, as it's a tiny knife. Get a ladybug in a brightly colored handle and it becomes even less threatening looking (I have one in bright orange and one in bright yellow).
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Scorpion

Post by Scorpion »

jabba359 wrote:I'm absolutely sure that it can give someone a bad impression. But so can a Bug. Or a stick of gum. Or a paperclip. That said, it is very unlikely to cause a bad impression on anyone reasonable, as it's a tiny knife. Get a ladybug in a brightly colored handle and it becomes even less threatening looking (I have one in bright orange and one in bright yellow).
Good points. However I am most interested in ffg and VG-10. That leaves only the black handled manbug. If they made IT with orange handles, I'd get it. I am not going with hollow grind (a prefer ffg for the for the aesthetics) and H1 for the handles, as H1 is only a good option if rust is a major issue, here it would be a non-issue.
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

A bug doesn't have the same level of comparison as a man bug or a ladybug with a good steel they are more like smaller versions of larger spydercos.
The bug is a very useful tool though is more than a novelty I brought the wife one five months ago she uses it lightly and its still sharp enough after a sharp maker touch up when new to cut your finger on.
If you want that look and materials go for a grasshopper still legal carry .
You don't say where you are ?
Scorpion

Post by Scorpion »

The idea is either go as small as possible with a decent level of quality, or jump a size for the sake of a much larger jump in quality. I just want to be sure that jump is doable, taking into consideration the unreasonable fears of NKP.

Just to be clear, as of this writing the only options I am considering are a Bug ss or a Black frn Manbug PE. A g10 manbug isn't worth the cost, most ladybugs have a hollow grind, and a ZDP lady/manbug is too hard to sharpen + I don't like BRG, and a honeybee or grasshopper are already close enough to the manbug to skip over.
FrankH

Post by FrankH »

Where are you located? I'm sure the Delica is completely acceptable at any university in the state of Florida. A "common pocketknife" is perfectly legal and that certainly includes anything 3" or less. At UF, I have never had a problem with a Delica clipped to my pocket. Same with FSU.
** Endura 1 SE G2, Delica 1 CE G2, Co-Pilot SE Almite G2, Bob Terzuola Jr CE ATS-34, Rescue Jr SE ATS-55, Caly 3 PE VG-10 G10, Lady Bug II SE AUS-6, Delica 4 PE VG-10, Endura 4 CE Vg-10, Lady Bug 3 PE VG-10, Cricket SE VG-10, Salt 1 PE H1, Dragonfly 2 PE VG-10, UK Penknife PE CTS BD1 **
Scorpion

Post by Scorpion »

I'm not worried about legal issues, rather NKP's reactions. I live in Ontario, Canada.
FrankH

Post by FrankH »

Scorpion, I see your point. As mentioned above the Ladybug is great and have you ever thought of gifting a Ladybug to a girl. My niece loves her purple one.
** Endura 1 SE G2, Delica 1 CE G2, Co-Pilot SE Almite G2, Bob Terzuola Jr CE ATS-34, Rescue Jr SE ATS-55, Caly 3 PE VG-10 G10, Lady Bug II SE AUS-6, Delica 4 PE VG-10, Endura 4 CE Vg-10, Lady Bug 3 PE VG-10, Cricket SE VG-10, Salt 1 PE H1, Dragonfly 2 PE VG-10, UK Penknife PE CTS BD1 **
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

Well to be honest folk have given their opinion to the question 'you' asked btw if you already know that you don't want any thing else between a bug and a man bug why ask .
What do you want people to say "get a benchmade" this is a spyderco forum and people have politely pointed out options and asked questions , which are relative.
Then you reply with "sigh" so since you already know what you want and the answers are boring you why don't you go find a mirror and ask what's looking back at you ? ..... Just an idea.

Manners cost nothing and everybody here is polite but if you're rude then it'll be reciprocated so don't take it personally I just find your posts quite discourteous .
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

Hey Scorpion,
I noticed you edited your post, with the reason being, " a little respect".
I don't understand.
All I can tell you is this.
Stand tall and don't let too many other people influence your decisions.
Don't worry so much about what other people think, because you can't please everyone.
I understand you concerns about nkp, but some people would be offended and scared of a paper knife in this politically correct world.
Sounds like you want a man bug/ ladybug, so get one or the other, and use it
conciously.
Every situation is different, so use your best judgement before you use your knife, and let people think what they're going to think.
I mean you no disrepect
Just my .02
Later,
Don
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

Scorpion, if a girl reacts in a negative way to you carrying any of the knives from the Bug series, do you really want to hang out with her? The Manbug is definitely worth it and will serve you well.
Just be prepared to hear, "That little thing is so cute", which can be kinda embarrassing. ;)
:spyder:
Dan
Scorpion

Post by Scorpion »

OldSarSwmr wrote:Scorpion, if a girl reacts in a negative way to you carrying any of the knives from the Bug series, do you really want to hang out with her? The Manbug is definitely worth it and will serve you well. Just be prepared to hear, "That little thing is so cute", which can be kinda embarrassing. ;)
I really do like the Manbug. I just needed a little encouragement.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Just get a pink Squeak. It's legal almost anywhere since there is no lock and it has a 2" blade.

* Girls will think it's cute
* Guys will make fun of you until you say the proceeds go to fight breast cancer. Then you can ask them why they hate women so much.

You win x 2!
Half Sack
Location: Alberta, undisclosed location of the Weapon Plus Program

Post by Half Sack »

Personally my ladybug is as small as I'm willing to go. Mine is a yellow hawkbill and has never gotten the reactions my Endura or Byrd Hawkbill (Black handle meadowlark size) have gotten. Check the Byrd Finch, Stainless steel handle Ladybug size.
Don't worry too much about the NKP, if you really cared you wouldn't have a knive and we'd all be worse off.

I think the ladybug is more than reasonable for any user or NKP, if you don't want frn then that changes things same with blade grind.

I moved from Ontario when I started buying knives, my ladybug never got a reaction, the Endura did. This was working in warehouses in a shipping industry. I would lend out, a small 2 bladed slipjoint my ladybug, a disposable break off blade type I can't think of the name similar to an exacto, and keep the Endura to myself or ppl in arms reach. This was working with people all 18+ some of which mocked the amount I spent or the fact that I had a knife. Yet everyone wanted to borrow one.
Don't worry about the nkp too much use it sensibly and don't be all fllashy/crazy quick opening with it, its just a tool nothing more.
Welcome to our newest member, Half Sack
:spyder: Endura4 wave, Ladybug Hawkbill H1, Byrd Hawkbill, PM2 digi camo, Sharpmaker *Sprints: Dodo Orange, MeerKat Burgundy, "R" Nishijin *Discontinued: Caspian H1 :spyder: #ByrdWeek Winner :cool:
No one likes the dark - Robin Sherbatsky
*Signature not updated, purchases missing...*
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I'm glad I didn't really know NKP existed when I was in college. I always carried a 3 to 3.5" folder at a very liberal university, and never cared what anyone thought of it. Always used it responsibly and appropriately, and never had any negative reactions.
:bug-red-white
Scorpion

Post by Scorpion »

Thanks for all your replies. Now, one last, semi-repetitive question. Would the number of NKP that react positively to the Bug and negatively to the Manbug be negligible, or not?