Brad Southard C156GPBN Flipper

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
lbwheat

Brad Southard C156GPBN Flipper

Post by lbwheat »

I've just purchased A Southard Flipper and really like the knife. I think the blade shape is one of the best I've seen and I really like the construction of the knife and the colors of the G-10 handle slab along with the tumbled finish on the titanium liners and lock. I think it would be useful to have some knurling or jimping on the flipper because it won't always open the blade to maximum position with out hand flipping the the whole knife. I would like effort and also it would be more quiet.
LB Wheat
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

Congrats. the Southard is a beautiful knife and one of my absolute favourites from Spyderco.

Dont worry; as you said, you just bought the knife, your BS will no doubt flip all the way open in no time with a little use/wear.

Watch a few good movies on the TV while flipping open the Southard, then close it (and repeat!) and it'll be fine in no time flat.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Yeah, with a little practice, the blade should fly open like lightning with just a slight nudge (mine does).
:bug-red-white
Holland

Post by Holland »

congrats on the purchase!
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
JudasD

Post by JudasD »

I wonder if this knife really is a success for Spyderco? As folks in the knife hobby we gauge success by how much it's talked about in the forums. In the "real" world and in the overall grand scheme of things i am curious how well it is doing.

JD
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

Congratz on the purchase. Post some photos of it when you can please.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

Congrats on the purchase!! Mine opens in one swift move and snaps lock with authority :) And with the right technic yours should too, buildd up some presure in your finger and try pushing inwards on the flipper ratter then downwards ;)
Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE
Alchemy1

Post by Alchemy1 »

I'm liking mine a lot. Only issue I had so far is the pivot got loose and the blade was almost rubbing against the non locking side, but I took it apart, cleaned it, and lubed it. Now all is fine. I think I should have put a dab of locktite on the pivot screws though.
:spyder:Sage 1, Gayle Bradley, Camo Para 2, All black Para 2, "Smurf" Para 2, Orange Para2, Lionspy:spyder:

Green Para 2 on pre order
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Congrats on the purchase, I caved and bought a ZT560 , because if I bought a southard first, id never buy the ZT :p :D . Southard comes next if Strider doesnt release a CTS XHP SMF :D
lbwheat

Post by lbwheat »

It has loosened up a lot and flips open with much better snap now. Another thing that was causing the tight opening was too much tension from the lock. I took it apart and pushed the the lock out from the handle a little bit and it relieved the pressure enough that it doesn't lock up so tight now. Man that titanium is strong stuff when it is that thick. Another thing that I noticed was that I was starting to acquire
Small cuts on the tips of my right hand fingers. The blade tip is so close the end of the handle that some times your finger tip touches
and gets nicked. The blade is so sharp that you don't realize it until
It gets sore so, I'm careful not to touch the end of the knife when drawing it from my pocket.
pdptrow

Post by pdptrow »

Heads up:
Southard Flippers in stock at an online knife dealer, good price too. I got a shipping notice this morning.
Buying this may not be "rational" but it rhymes with the dealer. :)
Paul
:spyder: Sage1, Stretch II CE-sold, S35VN Mule,Manix 2 CTS-XHP, Delica BRG ZDP-189 PE, Manix 2 CPM M4, Para 2 CTS-20CP :), M390 Mule, #Southard Flipper, Left Hand Millie, Para 2 204P :D, Delica Super blue
It is a mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -Aristotle
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

You can also find a $5 off coupon code if you search for it....
:bug-red-white
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I am contemplating buying one too.I can't tell from pictures, i am curious if it is shepsfoot or just some modified shepsfoot blade.I hope it has some stabbing capabilities just in case.Owners could tell better...
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

I for one am glad that the flipper is smooth. It does not need any sort of machining as it flips well and is easy on the finger. "Until now" I did not care for Ti, frame lock flippers but I think that the Southard is the best Spyderco to date.
USMC RETIRED
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

I ordered my Southard last week. It's sitting at home waiting for me at this very moment.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a danish."

Quietly lurking the Spyderco forum since 2003...
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

elena86 wrote:I am contemplating buying one too.I can't tell from pictures, i am curious if it is shepsfoot or just some modified shepsfoot blade.I hope it has some stabbing capabilities just in case.Owners could tell better...
While not nearly as pointy as the Para 2 or Military, I find that the Southard is more than capable of stabbing/puncturing tasks.

[ATTACH]21447[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Blade comparison.jpg
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

jabba359 wrote:While not nearly as pointy as the Para 2 or Military, I find that the Southard is more than capable of stabbing/puncturing tasks.
This is a big reason I have taken to this knife. While I adore every PM I have and ever had, there are things I wouldn't do with them. With the Southard I am not the least bit apprehensive to puncture, scrape, twist, etc.. I know it's not a FFG laser but it's one heck of an all around user. I have read where some say it's not a good slicer. I have mine at about 15/15 and it melts everything.
USMC RETIRED
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Leatherneck wrote:I for one am glad that the flipper is smooth. It does not need any sort of machining as it flips well and is easy on the finger. "Until now" I did not care for Ti, frame lock flippers but I think that the Southard is the best Spyderco to date.
I keep looking at this and wondering whether I agree. It's a tough call. I guess I'll say that I can't disagree, at least on the folder side of the house. :spyder: