Will the Pingo become one of those underappreciated models??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dbcad

Will the Pingo become one of those underappreciated models??

Post by dbcad »

I ask this because I rarely see the Pingo mentioned on the forum. I realise many folks prefer only locking knives, however for me the slip-its have a very useful and productive place :)

For a little above $40 you get get 2-1/8" of slowly curving edge ending with a sheepsfoot tip. The steel lockbar/backspacer extends the entire length of the FRN handles giving the Pingo a nice rigid feel :) The 1" breadth of blade in FFG make the Pingo a fine cutter :D

Who else enjoys this underappreciated gem :) ??
Attachments
pingo 002.jpg
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

Hey Charlie,
I've come to appreciate the Pingo very much.
It's a very capable knife, especially for the price paid.
Later,
Don
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

The Pingo is definitely on my list. But as a two-handed, non-locker, I know it will be seldom carried. So, there are others higher on the list right now.
:bug-red-white
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

dp
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

Rare and underappreciated?

That is not my impression at all.
Forum members seem enthusiastic about the nifty Pingo - at least in recent threads across forums.
Several express, that they want to purchase one as well.
http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... ion-UPDATE

I agree about the Pingo having a rigid and quality feel, though the nice FRN scales are slim (which I see as an advantage in a go-everywhere pocket knife).
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Mine'll be here tomorrow, thanks to someone. ;)
- best wishes, Jazz.
rwasham

Post by rwasham »

I love the design.
Getting my :bug-red on!!!!

:usflag
Steffen

Post by Steffen »

i like slip-joints as much as the next guy, but in a more traditional and prettier knife(wood handle).
and it doesn't really fit into any of my knife categories.
(to avoid spending all my money on knives and having drawers full of them, i made up a list of all knife-occations i could think up.
and choosing only one knife for each occation).

if i were danish i'd rave about the pingo, but the norwegian knife law is such a grey area that i just ignore it.
out of sight, out of mind.
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

It's probably next on my list to get hold of actually. I just bought the new UKPK FRN BD-1 because it is a tried & tested design and it was a bit cheaper :)
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

Jazz wrote:Mine'll be here tomorrow, thanks to someone. ;)
I'll take at least part of the 'blame' for you ordering a Pingo :D

Steffen wrote: if i were danish i'd rave about the pingo, but the norwegian knife law is such a grey area that i just ignore it.
out of sight, out of mind.
'Grey area' - as in worse than in Denmark?
The knife law in Denmark which prompted the Pingo says no OHO, edge under 7cm and non-lockable for EDC (which outlaws MANY types of knives!).
What does the knife law in Norway stipulate? (you used to have sensible gun laws IIRC).
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

If by "under appreciated" you mean not very popular, then probably. Reliable one hand opening is one of Spyderco's trademarks so, outside of those few places where it's the only legal carry, a model that lacks both it and a lock won't be of any interest to a fair percentage of their customers.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Commendatore

Post by Commendatore »

I miss a choil or finger guard on this design.
Steffen

Post by Steffen »

SpyderScout wrote:'Grey area' - as in worse than in Denmark?
The knife law in Denmark which prompted the Pingo says no OHO, edge under 7cm and non-lockable for EDC (which outlaws MANY types of knives!).
What does the knife law in Norway stipulate? (you used to have sensible gun laws IIRC).
it says: "you are only allowed to carry a knife in a public place if you have a valid reason".
thats it.
the law doesn't differentiate between a dragonfly and a ka-bar.

so what is a valid reason? self defence or it-might-come-in-handy are not.
going to or from work, going hiking, camping, etc, are examples of valid reasons.
i have never heard of anybody been fined for a sak or a leatherman, but carrying a ZT to a nightclub will earn you a fine and one knife less in your collection(if the police should discover it).
in rural towns no one would lift an eyebrow when carrying fixed blades on your belt in the store, cafe, etc.

so you never really knows if it legal to carry a certain knife.
so yes, i envy countries who has a very clear and definate knife law like, Denmark, UK and Germany.
though i would prefer the German one.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

The Deacon wrote:If by "under appreciated" you mean not very popular, then probably. Reliable one hand opening is one of Spyderco's trademarks so, outside of those few places where it's the only legal carry, a model that lacks both it and a lock won't be of any interest to a fair percentage of their customers.
Your point is well taken Paul :) The pocketknives I grew up with were non locking and 2 hand opening, so for me the concept is not too much of a stretch :) I realise the thought of a non locking 2 handed opening folder is a bit more alien to some. I enjoy this little Pingo :) and only wish others can too :)

Terrific scales Spyderscout :) Your talent is inspiring :) :)
Charlie

GTPowers

Post by GTPowers »

So I think the short answer for the OP, considering, is yes. Plenty will over-look it.
And plenty already are.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

GTPowers wrote:So I think the short answer for the OP, considering, is yes. Plenty will over-look it.
And plenty already are.
Just trying to spread the wealth and appreciation ;)
Charlie

The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

dbcad wrote:Your point is well taken Paul :) The pocketknives I grew up with were non locking and 2 hand opening, so for me the concept is not too much of a stretch :)
Me too. But I also grew up with black & white TV, a rotary dial telephone on a party line, a refrigerator with a freezer the size of a car battery, and a few other things I have no desire to revisit. ;) Of course, there are exceptions. Thirty cent a gallon gas can come back any time. :p
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The Deacon wrote:If by "under appreciated" you mean not very popular, then probably. Reliable one hand opening is one of Spyderco's trademarks so, outside of those few places where it's the only legal carry, a model that lacks both it and a lock won't be of any interest to a fair percentage of their customers.
This is why I'm not buying. I love the design and looks, but I'm not crazy about the steel option and the lack of a lock and one handed opening. If it were a more traditional thumb opening Spydie in VG10/S30V or better and had any kind of lock, I'd probably already own one.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
paladin

Post by paladin »

Bought one just because: #1 I was intrigued by the Rock Lobsteresque lines
#2 I love most things Spyderco and,
#3 The price was right
...as far as straight-up utility I think there are lots of better choices. But remember the Pingo was created (initially) by Sal for a niche market to provide good honest utility where there were very few legal choices before...cheers!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

+1
IMHO if even Bob T slipit and UKPK didn't became popular, Pingo has no choice to became one, at least in US.
dbcad wrote:Your point is well taken Paul :) The pocketknives I grew up with were non locking and 2 hand opening, so for me the concept is not too much of a stretch :)
There were no manual transmission when I learn to drive, but after 20+ years driving auto, I will drive stick-shift only if I have to. The same applies to non-locking knives, especially with FRN scales. If I decide to use slipit, probably Queen or GEC have much better chance than Pingo.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian