When is a Spyderco Delica not enough knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I believe the overarching question of the more utilitarian knives serving the same roles of exotic ones holds true. I guess such is the case with almost any product in life though.

There has been a trend these days towards blade play similar to a witch hunt. I don't know if its a movement (I wasn't a knife hobbyist 10+ years ago). Truth is a knife like the Salt1 or Native lightweight even is more than capable to handle severe jobs. A sharp blade doesn't need to be connected to a breaker bar to perform a task well and flexing isn't always a sign of weakness, often it's the contrary.

I love the snazzier offerings but as a tool to perform work the more pragmatic offerings from Spyderco soar high, IMHO. They go in and out of the pocket easily, don't develop hot spots as easily, are grippy, and almost impervious to structural damage. The Para's and Mili's of the world certainly aren't redundant but they are in most cases a luxury (and we all need a little luxury ;) ).
donutsrule

Post by donutsrule »

Cliff Stamp wrote:When is a Spyderco Delica not enough knife?
One word: Dinosaurs.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Cliff,

Thanx for the video and the comments on the Delica. Appeciate your generosity with knowledge. Really appreciated that about Al Mar. Ed, Gayle and Phil do that as well. Better than school. Our forum slogan should be "Have knowledge, will share".

The Delica is also an interesting marketing study. The model is in its fourth incarnation or evolution and the refinements were created by the customers using the model. Real world use + feedback = improvement.

sal
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

The blade is sometimes shorter than ideal, there are handles that fit me better and I prefer liner and frame locks over the back lock. That said I have a few Delicas, but it is my wife's favorite so I think all but 2 have been adopted... :D

Never had a Delica fail me and never has the lock been too weak..
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Cliff, I did comment on your video. I'm glad to see you have a YouTube channel. I have to tell you, that you have a very good teaching voice. I could listen to you talk about knives all day. Thanks for sharing brother!

P.S. - forgive me please but I am betting you're not in the USA. You in another country? I don't care I just feel like you have a slight accent. Thanks much bud!
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Pete1977

Post by Pete1977 »

David-
I'm pretty sure Cliff is in the Canadian Maritimes...Newfoundland or Nova Scotia...I forget which...

I saw some codfish in one of his reviews when he had cutleryscience... :D
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Cliff said in another thread that he is in Newfoundland, something like "almost as Irish as Ireland." I also find his accent enjoyable to listen to and easy to understand.
Douglas

Post by Douglas »

Bill1170 wrote:I also find his accent enjoyable to listen to and easy to understand.
Can't really be from Newfoundland if he's easy to understand. Must be some sort of hoax. ;)
greenfly

Post by greenfly »

You can buy fancier but you cant buy better!A great edc, slim pocket footprint easy to sharpen with good edge retention.When is it not enough?Perhaps thats why Sal came up with the whale rescue knife!
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

This reminds me of the time I started to switch to Spyderco. I enjoyed my Sebenza, but I had to be honest and couldn't see many advantages in ergonomics and cutting performance, in my daily use, compared to my Calypso jr. or Delica models. The only times I found a Delica is not enough, is when I needed a longer blade.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Cliff,

It is always interesting watching your analysis. Please do share the result of the passaround, as it will be fun to know if a Hinderer truly outcut a Delica, and at what point the price differences will play a factor. You seem to be hesitant in regards to comparing it with the price factor as one of the variables, but if a Delica can do 90% of what the Hinderer does, then why not just buy and carry 2 Delicas, and when one fails in duty (due to the use exceeds it's boundary), then the other will take up the baton and continue (pun intended). With that said, there's quite sum of $ left to be used for other needs (the price difference/saved)

Utilitarian use needs to consider real life (incl. economics) use, IMHO.

Thanks for starting an interesting topic.
mdsmith

Post by mdsmith »

When you need a longer blade, but don't fret, Spydercos still gotcha covered with the Endura. Between these two, you're all set folder wise. I've bought, sold and traded many higher end models from Spyderco o and other company's, but my Endura still finds its way in my pocket on a regular basis.
--Matt--