When is a Spyderco Delica not enough knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

I have been carrying an XM-18 for awhile and gradually moving up the scale of utility and heavier work with the knife to explore the true utility of the knife as it isn't a knife which is designed purely to cut well, this is clear in the marketing. However while I have been using it to cut harder materials, metals, bones, and digging/prying with the tip I have also been doing the same thing with the sabre/flat Delica. As an unintentional aside I have come to a new appreciation of that knife and I could almost redo this video and replace XM-18 with Delica :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niFG6YQJC2s

It also has me wondering just how hard a use do you need to actually exceed the handle / pivot ability of the Delica and how well this is balanced with the durability of the blade, something I will explore later but still while I have used the knives like the Military, Calypso Jr. in the past, this was one of the first times I carried the Delica as a primary knife for such an extended period of time. It isn't likely to replace the Paramilitary, but it is easy to see how it could be preferred by someone with a slightly different perspective on what is important.
APS

Post by APS »

Great post Cliff. A great knife for a knife enthusiast or just someone that needs a decent knife at a reasonable price.
Adam
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

A great point, Cliff. Honestly, there is very little I do (outside of the kitchen) that isn't handled just fine by my Balance.

I don't look for knives that will handle more/heavier tasks. I look for ones I "like" better. A far deeper and darker hole than you are looking into ;) my friend.

Ken
玉鋼
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Basically when my boredom with it reaches the limit. There are better knives of the same size, though they cost a bit more.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Pete1977

Post by Pete1977 »

Several years ago my girlfriend moved into an apartment above a bar. It was pretty shady so we put an extra deadbolt on the door. After we bought the lock and installed it the plate that goes on the door jamb didn't fit. I can't remember exactly why but the only knife we had was a serrated Delica, AUS-8A I think....I sawed and pried, drilled, gouged and dug with that knife until we had the plate flush and the lock functional.

I cut through 2 inch nylon hawser rope with a Rescue Jr. (comparable in size to a Delica) that one of my shipmates had. It performed just as well as a longer blade.

If you're only tool is a Delica I don't think you'd be that bad off....
Pete1977

Post by Pete1977 »

As for the handle/pivot ability of the Delica, David Lowry had a Salt 1 that was run over by a bobcat. The blade bent and the FRN snapped but the pivot/handle point was still intact.

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... ght=bobcat
Knifestyle

Post by Knifestyle »

All the arguments about lock strength and the 'bargain' knife survives that?!
juggler

Post by juggler »

My Delica has now been replaced by a Paramilitary 2 as my go-to knife.

Do I prefer the PM2? Of course! More comfortable handle, smoother lock, better looks, excellent steel : what's not to like?

But I can't remember thinking a PM2 would be a better option while using the Delica : from an utilitarian point of view, the Delica has always been enough for most (if not all) of my cutting tasks.

I wanted the PM2, but I didn't really need it. I'm sure this sounds familiar to most of you...
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I'm with Evil D on this one, but I'm not even sure they are unequivocally "better," all things considered, although we could argue for days on this point. The D4 started my spydie addiction, and it still sees significant pocket time even though I have several more "cooler" designs to choose from now.
Donut

Post by Donut »

A highlight of the Delica is how well it carries. It is very slim.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I think one of the problems people face is the FRN handle. Tactile feedback starts to cloud your senses about something that is, "cheap, lightweight, and good for easy tasks".

Knives like the Tuff, Gayle Bradley, Manix2 and all the others are terrific. I'm sure they are "tougher" than a Delica. In many cases they are absurdly tougher to a level I (and most) will never experience. It's the dual rear-tire turbo diesel pickup that never pulls a heavy trailer or approaches the max payload rating...instead idling in gridlock traffic.
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

The only thing I can think of is if you needed to halve a watermelon or other large fruit. I suppose the Delica could do it if one gets creative, just not in one clean slice.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

My ONLY problem with the Delica is the shape of the finger grooves on the handle. They're too narrow for a larger hand and I've found the Endura and even Police to share similar issues. If those points were smoothed out and contoured like a Stretch without the 50/50 choil, it would be perfect.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
buckthorn

Post by buckthorn »

I, too, feel the Delica is quite adequate. If I'm going to need something larger and sturdier it will be a saw, hatchet, splitting wedge and hammer, froe, machete, prybar etc.....
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

Blerv wrote:I think one of the problems people face is the FRN handle.
Yes, solid point in fact that came up when I asked about the XM-18 in another video and the poster made this exact point that when using a FRN Spyderco he could feel movement in the handle but the Hinderer was completely rigid. I don't doubt this is the case but I do question that the FRN actually has a functionally lower break point. In the case cited just below the FRN was actually strong enough to make a sabre-ground blade take a permanent bend.
Pete1977 wrote: The blade bent and the FRN snapped but the pivot/handle point was still intact.
That shows a pretty amazing balance of strength in design.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Good to "see ya" Cliff. I always really enjoy reading your posts. They are always very helpful and informative. Keep it up man, you are a wealth of information. Have a good weekend!
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

I carried a early CE Delica at a time in my life when I used knives hard - EMS and Active Army. Never once did that Delica fail me. I can't see me doing anything that my Delica 4s could not handle. Have to admit that the thin blade on my FFG Delica made me nervous to really use it. Stupid I know, and I need to correct that.
"A Delica is still a better weapon than a keyboard and a sour attitude..." Michael Janich
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I am not a big Delica fan. I carried couple of them a while ago: SE and PE ZDP. I carry C83 Persian with 3.5" blade for many years. It was joined by Caly3 as a back-up knife, which was replaced with Caly3.5 due to longer blade. I always thought that I need at least one knife with 3.5" or bigger blade, but this was turned down recently by Native5. It is my most used knife today. Whatever I need to cut - Native5 with 3" blade is sufficient. In the one of the recent threads "why we need a bigger knives" many people brought examples of an apple. I am eating an apple almost every day at work. Caly3.5 and than Persian were "apple knives " for years. One day I didn't have time to clean Persian and had to use Native. It is a little tricky first time, but not anymore. 3" blade, even with choil has a lot of capabilities.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Holland

Post by Holland »

great video, thanks for doing that
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

The Delica is almost never not enough knife :) Other models of all brands might be better suited for different tasks, but an SG Delica is "enough" knife for any remotely possible cutting chore that might arise :)

[ATTACH]21432[/ATTACH]

I couldn't resist this CE version from an overstock sale for $40 a few months ago. Capable of most anything you would want to cut :) It's a very sweet, strong, well built and inexpensive knife to have with you :)
Attachments
ce 003.jpg
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]